• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Last night i install a fuel psi sending unit in my vp44 at the check valve, i remove it from the vp and installed a banjo bolt then the psi snubber, then the sending unit. When i went to start it, i bleed air at sending unit to get it to start, then back up parked until the morning to finish the inside stuff then. Once i was finish it would not start. bleed again, but did'nt get any fuel. remove banjo at back of filter and i did the crank-no-start thing for the pump to start and it was but nothing coming out of the banjo at all. Was on a slope driveway and I had 1/4 tank of fuel, went and got 5 more gallons, still nothing. I then went and fired up the air compressor to put some psi into the tank, then i got fuel all the way to the vp44 when everything was put back together. The thing is, it was running find until i started to put in the gauge. I was in battle with myself the the wife on which one first, Gauges or the lift pump, now i think i have to tell both :rolleyes:, not in the budget. Am i missing something:cookoo:?

I didn't see if you had an after market lift pump in your signature. Sure does sound to me like your lift pump has gone bad and or your fuel filter may be restricted. If you are running the OEM/stock Carter lift pump, they are very unreliable and frequently go bad in this manner. If this is the case and you replace the lift pump and go with the OEM style lift pump, get the Airtex 7153 lift pump. It is a direct drop in replacement and a MUCH more reliable lift pump that puts out a bit more pressure and volume. Not the best or ideal fix but about the best fix for replacing with an OEM style lift pump.

• Like 1

Went out and bought the Airtek yesterday. Autozone had the old style, and it looked like the one i already had so i did not get it $161.99. Went to Carquest with the same part number, they had the new style for $168.98, $184.+ with taxes. I put it on in 30 minute, do to having the old one off already. Then bleed system, it fired up again and had 17 lbs on the gauge. Went for test drive and @ wot it went to almost 9lbs, @ 70mph it was @ 11lbs. Good enough i guess for now. Really wanted an Air Dog in the near future, but that will have to wait til next time.

Becareful... 10 PSI is lmit... Most of your restriction is the small plumbing. So if you now threw a big line kit against it and relocated the pump near the tank you could go lot farther with pressure... http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Draw-Straw-II-1-2-in-draw-tube-and-1-2-in-pushlo-p/vpps9804.htm

This is exactly what I have on the wife's truck. Aside from that it is stock. It works well for this application. By the way Bugman, did you replace the fuel filter when you replaced the lift pump? If not, I recommend doing this. You would be amazed at how much a restricted filter can drop fuel pressure. I use the Baldwin PF7977 fuel filters and have to replace them once between oil changes. They become restricted at around 3,500 to 5,000 miles and can be noted be a considerable fuel pressure drop. I don't like anything below 14 psi for normal driving and 12 psi for acceleration. The Baldwin fuel filters are 5 micron and a much better filter than the Fleetgard filters in my opinion, at least in this application.

Thanks for all of you guy advice. I did change the filter (NAPA) about 1500 miles ago and pulled it out yesterday to see if anything was happenening in there. Will change it out soon too see if there is a different.

That is how I used to know of a lift pump failure in my early days as an ISB owner. I could not prime the fuel system after a fuel filter change, or the truck would hesitate on acceleration. I had no gauge or no clue. I put in a gauge after my 1st VP44 failure, and a Fass after my second failure when I found this web site. Thanks M73M and to all its members.

• 6 months later...

If I put the big line kit on, what should the line size be, 1/2 or 3/8? Is volume the only real benifit? The way thing are going i will be running this pump for awhile so looking to upgrade. Would i also need the drawstraw for this setup?

If I put the big line kit on, what should the line size be, 1/2 or 3/8? Is volume the only real benifit? The way thing are going i will be running this pump for awhile so looking to upgrade. Would i also need the drawstraw for this setup?

I would go with the 1/2 fuel hose. The cost is not that much more and the 1/2 fuel hose has a much greater capacity. The 3/8 will probably do everything you want unless you really modify the engine. In my opinion, the larger line will provide the max. fuel flow to the VP-44 and afford the most protection as well as greatest fuel deliver capacity. The draw straw is a good bit more involved with modifying the fuel basket if you go that route or requires you to cut a hole in the tank for the install of the draw straw that comes with the Air Dog kit and requires dropping the fuel tank. The stock draw straw will likely provide the fuel you need unless you get into more aggressive mods. If you are sticking with the OEM style or Airtex fuel lift pump, the stock draw straw will be more than enough. If you are going to install the Air Dog, and expect to continue upgrading to more engine mods. then you may want to install the 1/2 draw straw.

Yep, I second that, go with a big line kit, you'll be glad you did. I believe M73M has his improvements just before upgrading to an Air Dog somewhere here on his site.I wish I would have known about this web site before I replaced my weak Carter back in June of 09. You got a better deal on your Airtex then I did on my latest version Carter. I went to a Cummins dealer. Good thing I did because the Dodge dealer said that the only replacement he has is the intank replacement, the worst of all worlds! I would have at least went with an Airtex & moved it from the stock location so that it would be a pusher, & like you I would have upgraded to a big line kit when the funds were available.Happy CTD,Dave

Went out and bought the Airtek yesterday. Autozone had the old style, and it looked like the one i already had so i did not get it $161.99. Went to Carquest with the same part number, they had the new style for $168.98, $184.+ with taxes. I put it on in 30 minute, do to having the old one off already. Then bleed system, it fired up again and had 17 lbs on the gauge. Went for test drive and @ wot it went to almost 9lbs, @ 70mph it was @ 11lbs. Good enough i guess for now. Really wanted an Air Dog in the near future, but that will have to wait til next time.

You are ~ 1/2 way to paying for an AirDog. If you think it takes negotiations with the spouse now, wait until you have to replace your LP (again). Negotiate with the vendors. They will come off the stated price.

You will have no more fuel volume entering your injection pump with 1/2 inch fuel line vs. 3/8 inch fuel line. You definitely do not need a Drawstraw.

Vulcan performance does'nt sale the airtex anymore. Said they stop working after a little dirt gets in them:stuned:. Airtex said to use a pre-filter finer than he can source from anyone. Airtex doesn't even have it. Anyone else have had this problem. Suggested the Raptor kit ,$365. How long has anyone have a Airtex last? mine is almost a year old and 8,000 on it.

I have had the Airtex pump on the wife's truck for 2 years. No problems so far. (knock on wood) If your fuel system is still the stock OEM system, there is very fine fabric filter in the fuel draw straw/fuel level sensor basket in the tank. This filter in my opinion will stop pretty much anything that could possible cause any harm to the pump. Your call on this. I agree with Eric at Vulcan that the Airtex pumps are not very tolerant of contamination.........then again neither is pretty much any other pump on the market that has no filter. The orginal Carter style fuel pumps worked OK but failed due to a piss poor design, NOT anything drawn in from the fuel tank. Just my opinion, but I think you would be fine with one of the Airtex pumps. The problem with the Raptor and other similar pumps is that you can buy an AirDog for $499 and have the full blown REAL THING and be done with it. If I was gonna spend $365 for a Raptor, I would go ahead and spend the extra $135 get the REAL McCoy. Again your call on this. :shrug:

• Owner

AirDog, Raptor, and FASS (not FASS DDRP) are designed for diesel application and with withstand just about anything.

As for the AirTex... There is several that swear by them but once again the manufacture were to stand behind it then they would have a long term warrnty like the big 3...

As for getting the most out of a AirTex is to relocate the pump near the tank and get a big line kit... By the time you do all this you price will be close to that of a Raptor or a FASS 95... :rolleyes: