• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it a vp44 issue or an injector issue?

• Owner
34 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

@Bluelinecody It's been s few years since I delt with them but central motive power in Denver is who I went through for my vp replacement, It's a walk in facility and they seem to be a full scale bosch repair shop.

Could you ask lf you ask if they have a Bosch 815 test stand if anyone happens to stop in. Ill add them to my list of Bosch rebuilders.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 5:44 PM, 01cummins4ever said:

@Bluelinecody It's been s few years since I delt with them but central motive power in Denver is who I went through for my vp replacement, It's a walk in facility and they seem to be a full scale bosch repair shop.

That is great info I'm only an hour from Denver so that's handy thanks a bunch 

Thanks guys I'm quickly finding out what a pain in the a$$ thoroughbred diesel is trying to get the pump warranty worked. If they test it and it comes up ok I get charged $150 I'm paying shipping both ways regardless. I'm pissed. If the pump is bad I will be asking for a refund and finding a new supplier 

• Owner

Takes 3 hours to bench test a VP44 pump from start to end on a Bosch 815 test stand. This why the 150 labor rate for bench testing.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:59 AM, Bluelinecody said:

Everyone seems really tight lipped about where they buy parts lol thoroughbred has a good core policy and have a 2 year warranty. 

I think schied has their own bench but I haven't confirmed that

Ive been using DAP or Vulcan Performance. Both supply Industrial Injection or Midwest Injection (DAP).

On 8/21/2017 at 10:38 AM, jlbayes said:

I'm not being a smartass but did you read the thread?

@jibayes yes I did and you can see where @Bluelinecody asked how to diagnose a pump without codes. it will also tell you what to look for to diagnose an ECM issue. As far as ordering parts I use Midwest Diesel Injection they have a factory authorized repair center in network and have never let me or a customer down, From VE to VP pumps and every injector in between they are my go to guys.

• Like 2

I read through the bluechip guide last night. There is a wealth of information there. 

Last night I put a set of injectors in to rule out injectors as an issue. 

Then I jacked up a pushrod on my test drive. Pics later 

some day I will learn how to leave well enough alone and not mess with what cummins brought to us

37 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I have to ask how in the neck did you mess up a pushed?  There is no reason to mess with the valve train to install injectors.

Thats right. I never touched a valvetrain part either. I have no idea why, how, or what happend 

• Confused 1

here is the carnage so far

the rocker is seized on the silver roller thing (whatever the technical term is) no sign of the missing piece of the pushrod yet

i stuck a magnet down the pushrod hole and the tappet goes up and down freely so that's good news I guess

image.jpg

image.jpg

So the rocker seized breaking the cup off the push rod?  Not something I've seen before.  The missing piece is probably on top of the head buried under oil.  Or hopefully made it to the pan and not hanging around the cam.  I would think it left the pushrod with some energy so hopefully it is on top of the head.

21 minutes ago, Shainer said:

So the rocker seized breaking the cup off the push rod?  Not something I've seen before.  The missing piece is probably on top of the head buried under oil.  Or hopefully made it to the pan and not hanging around the cam.  I would think it left the pushrod with some energy so hopefully it is on top of the head.

When I have some time in the next few days I'm going to run a magnet and finger over everything to be sure. 

Even more strange is that the valve bridge was still perfectly placed on top of the valves 

during my test drive I went 1/2 mile round trip and never got over 27k rpm some times weird stuff happens I guess lol

57 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

So it locked the trunnion? I would highly recommend checking all the rest. There are known issues with them galing. 

No kidding?  I was not aware of that, and now that I'm searching around I do see more incidents..

25 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'd be concerned about the valve being bent too. Being the piston had to of hit the valve at the point it was stuck open. 

I thought about that as well.  Was going to make the recommendation to verify valve operation.  I"m not sure valve contact had to occur though since the valve may have been closed and the trunnion stopped all valve movement (it's the optimist in me).

What would it show in oil analysis like? Iron or something else. May not hurt to do oil analysis once in awhile. Man all this hype about cummins and more you into it the more you find. I guess other diesels are not much better and harder to work on. 

Just did my valve guides at 150k and didn't even look at rockers that hard just put them back on. Now thinking about looking at them. When I had the head off and was cleaning the block, I was thinking should I crank motor over till oil comes out of holes just incase some crap went down oil holes. Guessing if there is anything in there it will not flush out through rocker and will reduce oil flow and cause more wear. So idling truck for more then few minutes is not good at what rpm is oil pressure sufficient to keep things lubed up. 

Edited by Dieselfuture