• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24v stalls when put in gear

2000 24v built trans, good hd torque converter, 40hp injectors, new IP, new FASS. 

Dies from park to reverse or forward gears, dies from reverse to forward or forward to reverse. Just had my PCM and ECM updated to the newest file. 

It's driving me nuts. Seems to be idling 50-75rpm too low. I try to move my trailer, it does. I love around a parking lot it dies. Happens at least 80% of the time.

Anybody? I really like this truck...except this problem. Some people have said the torque converter is too tight.....not sure that's a thing or not.

PLEASE HELP!!

More hot than cold. I'm leaning toward the converter. Definitely not the tps. No codes. 

Was really hoping the factory tune would get the rpm up but no. Wish the Quadzilla had a idle adjustment. I'm looking to talk to a local trans guru named Fred Swanson....see if he can lend some info on the trans/tc part.

What stall is the converter? Pretty sure I've read people having this issue with 'super-ultra-mega' low stall converters and what not.

Mine will give a good buck when dropping it into reverse for the first time in the morning and does drop the rpm a bit but never came close to stalling.

sounds like your converter is too tight.  

Auto trucks don't have anti stall.  The quad does not adjust idle state either, so if you are idling around the parking lot with the foot off the pedal the quadzilla is doing nothing.  

I also want to know what your idle rpm's are.   

7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Isn't there an anti stall feature someplace in PCM or ecm, something @Me78569 just worked on for v2 :think:

The stock computer has anti-stall for manuals. I'm not sure if the automatics have this feature, if everything is working the way it should, it shouldn't be needed.

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

sounds like your converter is too tight.  

What bugs me about this is the fact that it's worse while hot. That converter should loosen up a little bit with the oil temp raising shouldn't it?

Idle is measured in 125rpm increments, correct? If so it's idling at just below 750. I've heard the smarty tuners reset the idle to around 750 that's why I had the computer reflashed. 

The tc in the truck now has been in it for around 5 years or so. It was rebuilt when I had the trans done (I killed it)....then it was cut apart and checked when I broke the input shaft. If memory serves it didn't do this crap until I got it back with the billet input shaft in it. That's why I'm thinking somebody dicked up my tc.

I'm working on a time line for the trans right now. I know the last thing that happened was breaking the input.... I sheared the splined out of the drum. It went back to the shop for a billet input and check the tc. When I got it back this was happening. The trans shop said no way it could be the trans. I won't be going back to them again. 

As far as brake force....it requires a steady foot, not hard but on it. It will idle up a fairly steep grade. Weird thing is the truck runs great.....mileage is low to me at 14mpg but I flog on it pretty regularly. 400hp is WAY too fun.

Replaced all the sealing washers and o-ring on the fuel return line at the behest if a knowledgeable Cummins guy. Still stalls. My tuner screen confirms my idle at 750.....everything on the web says it's supposed to be 800 or 850. I'm lost. I truly don't believe the tc or the trans could cause it to idle low....it could definitely be too tight and cause it to stall at 750rpm. As soon as it drops into gear it dips to 500....if it doesn't stall it surges back to 750.

Cummins says they can't get into the ecm because it's a Chrysler product, Dodge says they can't get into the parameters to adjust the idle. 

WTF do I do? This goddamn thing is pissing me off.