Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
crf450ish

3 cyl high idle still Low EGTs....

Recommended Posts

 Now before anyone tries to tell me that the pyrometer is only collecting temps from the cylinders that aren’t firing, or only the front 3 or back 3....  let me tell you that that makes zero sense because there’s no way that EGT‘s cool down from 400° to 100° in just to several inches between the exhaust port on the head and where I have my pyrometer placed on the manifold.  Furthermore even if the pyrometer was only reading the front three or the back three, the temps would still mix higher than that of 100°.  The pyrometer is placed where everybody places theirs. 

 

 

 I’m just simply post in this thread to see if anyone else noticed this issue it’s not a big deal to me just would like to be able to use my high idle  The way it was intended- warm up fast... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean if it's in high idle then it's doing its job of warming up the truck faster. Just weird it's dropping from 400-100 degrees. I'd be leaning more towards the egt probe or sensor being the problem here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firing order is...

 

1 5 3 6 2 4

 

So It's going to be firing on the back 3 cylinders. The front 3 cylinders should be dead.

 

On my truck the front 3 cylinder you can touch the manifold. The rear 3 cylinders are typically floating around 900*F with my exhaust brake on and typically crossing the 170*F coolant shut down in under 10 minutes.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to replace my one of my batteries today because the truck didn’t want to start this morning even after being jumped.(yes while it was being jumped I unhooked the adrenaline module). Now when the truck is up to operating temp the high idle will not shut off! It’s set to 145 and when I’m at operating temp 190 at a light it will still kick on even when I turn high idle off! I’m hoping it just will relearn after a few key on and offs but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Do an apps relearn process on the ecm

Alright I’ll have to do that. Also does the quadzilla high idle make it a 3 cylinder or is it just all 6 at high rpm? I noticed how moose man said he could touch his front 3 cylinder manifold and it wouldn’t be very hot. Well I tried that today and my hands a little red now... 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so if a got a high idle kit that turned it into 3 cyl. I would just leave my quad high idle off correct? With my remote start I like it with the quad because high idle will automatically come on and I don’t gotta flip a switch which defeats the purpose of the remote start if I gotta walk out their anyways 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 cyl high idle is a function of the ecm.   The quadzilla high idle and the ecm high idle do not get along side by side so you disable the quads high idle.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 6:01 PM, crf450ish said:

 Now before anyone tries to tell me that the pyrometer is only collecting temps from the cylinders that aren’t firing, or only the front 3 or back 3....  let me tell you that that makes zero sense because there’s no way that EGT‘s cool down from 400° to 100° in just to several inches between the exhaust port on the head and where I have my pyrometer placed on the manifold.  Furthermore even if the pyrometer was only reading the front three or the back three, the temps would still mix higher than that of 100°.  The pyrometer is placed where everybody places theirs. 

 

 

 I’m just simply post in this thread to see if anyone else noticed this issue it’s not a big deal to me just would like to be able to use my high idle  The way it was intended- warm up fast... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I figured I needed to test this.  My pyro is in the front 3 cylinders.  I went out with an IR gun, truck is 3 cyl mod,   and took temps off each port on the manifold.  

 

the front 3 where sitting at ambient engine temp, back 3 where at ~100*f greater than ambient temps.  

 

Is your manifold not divided into front and back?   like this picture? if you do have a divided manifold it is very plausible to have one side be at 600*f temp and other at 170*f. 

 

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

 

I believe the Quadzilla canbus message is delayed 1 cylinder and that is why we see the shift in the front to back with the Quad on or off.

 

I would be willing to bet the truck warms up as fast with the quad on or off.  I think @Carbur8tr might have a pyro on the front and back?  I dunno.  

Edited by Me78569

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I did on the manifold I just took off last weekend and I have tested this and you are correct.

 

OP, where are you going with this?  3 cylinder idle has a purpose.  Are you testing something or simply stating that it's not working like you thought it should.  Also you shouldn't be too concerned with EGTs when you're warming up, coolant and oil temp is what you should be more concerned with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, Youngblood24v said:

Had to replace my one of my batteries today because the truck didn’t want to start this morning even after being jumped.(yes while it was being jumped I unhooked the adrenaline module). Now when the truck is up to operating temp the high idle will not shut off! It’s set to 145 and when I’m at operating temp 190 at a light it will still kick on even when I turn high idle off! I’m hoping it just will relearn after a few key on and offs but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? 

 

When you unplugged the quad, it defaulted to level 0. Level 0 used to always revert to high idle, even when warm. I think @Me78569 decided to keep this feature enabled. Bump back up to your normal operating level and hopefully this resolves the issue.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 1:16 PM, Me78569 said:

 

 

 

 

 

So I figured I needed to test this.  My pyro is in the front 3 cylinders.  I went out with an IR gun, truck is 3 cyl mod,   and took temps off each port on the manifold.  

 

the front 3 where sitting at ambient engine temp, back 3 where at ~100*f greater than ambient temps.  

 

Is your manifold not divided into front and back?   like this picture? if you do have a divided manifold it is very plausible to have one side be at 600*f temp and other at 170*f. 

 

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

 

I believe the Quadzilla canbus message is delayed 1 cylinder and that is why we see the shift in the front to back with the Quad on or off.

 

I would be willing to bet the truck warms up as fast with the quad on or off.  I think @Carbur8tr might have a pyro on the front and back?  I dunno.  

Mine is the stock manifold. 

On 10/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, Carbur8tr said:

Yes I did on the manifold I just took off last weekend and I have tested this and you are correct.

 

OP, where are you going with this?  3 cylinder idle has a purpose.  Are you testing something or simply stating that it's not working like you thought it should.  Also you shouldn't be too concerned with EGTs when you're warming up, coolant and oil temp is what you should be more concerned with.

I was under the impression it wasn’t working correctly based on the EGT reading I was seeing. But since @Me78569 made the point about the divided manifold, it is indeed plausible that my readings are infact different based on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So your exhaust temps will be VERY low on the group that is not firing in 3 cyl mode.    The gasses fromt he front dont mix with the back as the hx35 has a divided scroll.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

So your exhaust temps will be VERY low on the group that is not firing in 3 cyl mode.    The gasses fromt he front dont mix with the back as the hx35 has a divided scroll.  

 

Bingo!

 

The front 3 are still pumping air and that air has no real added heat. Yes it gets compressed to create heat but it also gets released which drops heat. The heat will mostly come from the head temp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

With my probe in the 4, 5, 6 position just a couple of days ago I use 3 CYL mode and I was pushing over 900*F EGT's.

I finally got out of my own head about the high idle EGT thing and have just been using it and truck has been warming up fast and fine. 🙄 sometimes I just go into full retard mode and not think. @Mopar1973Man @Me78569 Thanks for your help on this issue! 👍🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best thing i ever did was drop into gear and put load on engine, set the E-brake and drop into reverse for me. but still. put load on the engine. it always heated up faster that way then 3 cylinder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...