• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 cyl high idle still Low EGTs....

crf450ish

Now before anyone tries to tell me that the pyrometer is only collecting temps from the cylinders that aren’t firing, or only the front 3 or back 3....  let me tell you that that makes zero sense because there’s no way that EGT‘s cool down from 400° to 100° in just to several inches between the exhaust port on the head and where I have my pyrometer placed on the manifold.  Furthermore even if the pyrometer was only reading the front three or the back three, the temps would still mix higher than that of 100°.  The pyrometer is placed where everybody places theirs. 

I’m just simply post in this thread to see if anyone else noticed this issue it’s not a big deal to me just would like to be able to use my high idle  The way it was intended- warm up fast... 

• Owner

Firing order is...

1 5 3 6 2 4

So It's going to be firing on the back 3 cylinders. The front 3 cylinders should be dead.

On my truck the front 3 cylinder you can touch the manifold. The rear 3 cylinders are typically floating around 900*F with my exhaust brake on and typically crossing the 170*F coolant shut down in under 10 minutes.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 2 weeks later...

Had to replace my one of my batteries today because the truck didn’t want to start this morning even after being jumped.(yes while it was being jumped I unhooked the adrenaline module). Now when the truck is up to operating temp the high idle will not shut off! It’s set to 145 and when I’m at operating temp 190 at a light it will still kick on even when I turn high idle off! I’m hoping it just will relearn after a few key on and offs but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? 

30 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Do an apps relearn process on the ecm

Alright I’ll have to do that. Also does the quadzilla high idle make it a 3 cylinder or is it just all 6 at high rpm? I noticed how moose man said he could touch his front 3 cylinder manifold and it wouldn’t be very hot. Well I tried that today and my hands a little red now... ?

Ok so if a got a high idle kit that turned it into 3 cyl. I would just leave my quad high idle off correct? With my remote start I like it with the quad because high idle will automatically come on and I don’t gotta flip a switch which defeats the purpose of the remote start if I gotta walk out their anyways ?

On 10/14/2017 at 6:01 PM, crf450ish said:

Now before anyone tries to tell me that the pyrometer is only collecting temps from the cylinders that aren’t firing, or only the front 3 or back 3....  let me tell you that that makes zero sense because there’s no way that EGT‘s cool down from 400° to 100° in just to several inches between the exhaust port on the head and where I have my pyrometer placed on the manifold.  Furthermore even if the pyrometer was only reading the front three or the back three, the temps would still mix higher than that of 100°.  The pyrometer is placed where everybody places theirs. 

I’m just simply post in this thread to see if anyone else noticed this issue it’s not a big deal to me just would like to be able to use my high idle  The way it was intended- warm up fast... 

So I figured I needed to test this.  My pyro is in the front 3 cylinders.  I went out with an IR gun, truck is 3 cyl mod,   and took temps off each port on the manifold.  

the front 3 where sitting at ambient engine temp, back 3 where at ~100*f greater than ambient temps.  

Is your manifold not divided into front and back?   like this picture? if you do have a divided manifold it is very plausible to have one side be at 600*f temp and other at 170*f. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I believe the Quadzilla canbus message is delayed 1 cylinder and that is why we see the shift in the front to back with the Quad on or off.

I would be willing to bet the truck warms up as fast with the quad on or off.  I think @Carbur8tr might have a pyro on the front and back?  I dunno.  

Edited by Me78569

Yes I did on the manifold I just took off last weekend and I have tested this and you are correct.

OP, where are you going with this?  3 cylinder idle has a purpose.  Are you testing something or simply stating that it's not working like you thought it should.  Also you shouldn't be too concerned with EGTs when you're warming up, coolant and oil temp is what you should be more concerned with.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, Youngblood24v said:

Had to replace my one of my batteries today because the truck didn’t want to start this morning even after being jumped.(yes while it was being jumped I unhooked the adrenaline module). Now when the truck is up to operating temp the high idle will not shut off! It’s set to 145 and when I’m at operating temp 190 at a light it will still kick on even when I turn high idle off! I’m hoping it just will relearn after a few key on and offs but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? 

When you unplugged the quad, it defaulted to level 0. Level 0 used to always revert to high idle, even when warm. I think @Me78569 decided to keep this feature enabled. Bump back up to your normal operating level and hopefully this resolves the issue.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2017 at 1:16 PM, Me78569 said:

So I figured I needed to test this.  My pyro is in the front 3 cylinders.  I went out with an IR gun, truck is 3 cyl mod,   and took temps off each port on the manifold.  

the front 3 where sitting at ambient engine temp, back 3 where at ~100*f greater than ambient temps.  

Is your manifold not divided into front and back?   like this picture? if you do have a divided manifold it is very plausible to have one side be at 600*f temp and other at 170*f. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I believe the Quadzilla canbus message is delayed 1 cylinder and that is why we see the shift in the front to back with the Quad on or off.

I would be willing to bet the truck warms up as fast with the quad on or off.  I think @Carbur8tr might have a pyro on the front and back?  I dunno.  

Mine is the stock manifold. 

On 10/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, Carbur8tr said:

Yes I did on the manifold I just took off last weekend and I have tested this and you are correct.

OP, where are you going with this?  3 cylinder idle has a purpose.  Are you testing something or simply stating that it's not working like you thought it should.  Also you shouldn't be too concerned with EGTs when you're warming up, coolant and oil temp is what you should be more concerned with.

I was under the impression it wasn’t working correctly based on the EGT reading I was seeing. But since @Me78569 made the point about the divided manifold, it is indeed plausible that my readings are infact different based on that. 

• Staff
25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

So your exhaust temps will be VERY low on the group that is not firing in 3 cyl mode.    The gasses fromt he front dont mix with the back as the hx35 has a divided scroll.  

Bingo!

The front 3 are still pumping air and that air has no real added heat. Yes it gets compressed to create heat but it also gets released which drops heat. The heat will mostly come from the head temp. 

• 1 month later...