• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally install airbags.

The_Hammer

Got my Load Lifter 5000 airbags on today.

Look at the poor factory springs lol.

E38B92AD-D091-4348-9F12-C17F7D570815.jpeg.93e32a2e776e48d18c4c75b3269156bf.jpeg

The extra spacers are bolted to the spring pack and not just stacked on top of the factory block. The springs were bowed before I added the spacers. I also have no idea what happened to the factory overload spring.

13 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Almost looks like a broken leaf 

I thought the same thing but none of the leaves are broke. Both sides look the same.

12 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Looks like someone tried to soften the ride at one point.  

Those springs don’t look too happy. How many miles on the truck? 

That’s what I’m thinking.

There’s around 340k miles on the truck. 

11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I ended up making my own brackets, I didn't like the idea of putting them on the springs.

59924cab2973b_2017-08-1420_18_29.jpg.963885a78b4a480b8bac422d45cb01dc.jpg

59924cb3ec977_2017-08-1420_18_43.jpg.97fec72c2554f9c1ba6b056e213f273b.jpg

I like that setup.

I’m going to end up buying new springs later on as these are obviously wore out. 

Edited by The_Hammer

After you posted your first pic last night, I went out and doubled checked on mine, which is 2001 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton. Something just didn't look right to me.  When looking at mine,  I have another spring at top and at bottom.  Not saying mine is right or yours is wrong.  Your last pic you have an air gap at top of U bolts.   Probably would be good idea to re-torque after some miles are put on.  My BD airbags say to have atleast 5 psi in mine.  I found out why the hard way. They rub just a little tiny bit with no air in them.  Glad I caught it early and no damage to airbag.  It took me a lot longer than what I thought it would take to install mine. Did you install a air compressor?  I use bicycle pump for now...I'm still looking for air compressor to mount and hook up under bed behind cab.  When towing wives trailer around I don't air up to certain amount of pounds, I air up till bed is level.  Also noticed first couple months I had a leaks (from cutting airline with pocket knife) I picked up a tube cutter and solved problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 015point9 said:

After you posted your first pic last night, I went out and doubled checked on mine, which is 2001 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton. Something just didn't look right to me. When looking at mine, I have another spring at top and at bottom. Not saying mine is right or yours is wrong.

It definitely looks like there should be another spring in the pack itself along with an overload on the bottom. I see a new pair of springs in my future. 

Your last pic you have an air gap at top of U bolts.   Probably would be good idea to re-torque after some miles are put on.

I noticed that too. I left the inner fenders out so I can easily re-torque them.

My BD airbags say to have atleast 5 psi in mine.  I found out why the hard way. They rub just a little tiny bit with no air in them. Glad I caught it early and no damage to airbag. It took me a lot longer than what I thought it would take to install mine. Did you install a air compressor? I use bicycle pump for now...I'm still looking for air compressor to mount and hook up under bed behind cab.  When towing wives trailer around I don't air up to certain amount of pounds, I air up till bed is level.  Also noticed first couple months I had a leaks (from cutting airline with pocket knife) I picked up a tube cutter and solved problem. 

Air Lift says the same thing for the same reason.

I didn’t install a compressor but I want to later on when funds allow. I didn’t think about using a bicycle pump. How well does it work? My end goal is to have a tank and compressor setup that will run an airgun.

I’m running 40 PSI in mine to get the rear end up where it should be. A friend of mine has a bunch of the 1” Lock-N-Lift spacers from Air Lift. I’m going to add two to each side so I can drop the pressure without losing ride height.

I found out (the hard way lol) a long time ago how important it is to have a smooth, clean cut on hard plastic air lines. Mine are leak free so I’m good to go.

With trailer hooked up (about 900 pounds tongue weight) I just pump till level ( I think around 35 pounds).  A lot easier when I lift up bed by trailer Jack, put in air and Jack up trailer Jack.   Pumping air with weight of trailer on...very hard.  Friend with large 5th wheel on...bicycle pump I couldn't mash  handle down.  Last yr my pump broke (actually fitting at bottom broke and couldn't find another) spent around $60 for a stronger model.  Still can't pump with trailer on very easy.

I have running boards...and put valve stems where I can fill with air at gas station coin machine. 2 seperate air lines.  

Airbags were 2nd BD product I bought. First was their exhaust brake.    No more of them for me.  

44 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I put a viair compressor under the truck where my spair tire used to be and plumbed it in my rear bumper as air tank. Just never got to making it completely push button for bags to go up and down still use a hose to do it. But as often as I need it I don't mind. 

That was the brand I was going to install because of reviews I read.  But most reviews are written up just after install and still new.

Have you had yours for sometime ?   Working as advertised?  Would you buy another?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Have you had yours for sometime ?   Working as advertised?  Would you buy another?

To be honest I used it about dozen times in past 3 years, but every time it was well worth having it. Few times to air up bags, few people I knew had low air in tires, tractor in  field with a flat I helped out with. And once  had a low tire when getting firewood found a screw in it, pulled it out used one of them worms and was i glad to have air. 

I thought about just getting one in a carry bag but decided to mount one permanently. I would think it will last a long time the way I use it. I did by a relay with a shutout switch built in viair offers so if you leave switch on after it reaches certain psi it will shut off. Hope it helps.

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I have a ViAir, 450C, in my tool box and it's been great! I've had it for nearly 10 years now and it works like new. I use it for tires, airbags, etc. It probably gets used 20-30 times a year, maybe more.  

Is it plumbed to a tank? or stand alone? i am looking into something like this but with a 2-4 gallon tank. 

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

Is it plumbed to a tank? or stand alone? i am looking into something like this but with a 2-4 gallon tank. 

It's tankless. I used to run a 5 gallon setup on my '95 4Runner (for wheeling) and it was great for small jobs and the first tire but after that you're filling the tanks and tires at the same time and it's very slow. 

So it depends on what you want to do. For my use I don't need/want a tank. It fills the airbags quick and tires fast enough. 

I will be adding a 0.5 gallon tank this winter thou, as I'm swapping out my Jacobs exhaust brake for a PRXB. The 0.5 gallon tank will be on a check valve so it's not part of my line for filling tires/airbags. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

years ago in my jeeps we used a york 210 ac compressor for onboard air. i wonder if that could be adapted to these trucks? it had enough scfm to run power tools, air up tires in a minutes not hours.  might be handy on my work truck, not something i'd do to my 08 though. 

• Staff

I went looked at both my trucks and Mike Nelson is absolutely correct. Imagine that!  :whistle2:

Also, you got some weird stacked up spacer blocks in there too... whats that looks like steel channel sticking out toward the shock? That thing is really strange.

Both my trucks have one big spacer block on top of the axle and one smaller spacer between the overloads and standard springs. 'U' bolts go over the overloads and everything else.

One of my trucks has airbags and they fit over the top of entire spring pack including overloads.

DieselFuture your work is tops... should open a shop.

Edited by JAG1
  • Thanks 1