• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally install airbags.

The_Hammer

19 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically in a nutshell, if you had all your OEM hardware you most likely wouldn't need airbags.

20171218_151431.jpg

After seeing what all is missing your probably right. These air bags do ride VERY smoothly though.

I’m going to throw an idea out that might sound stupid (not unusual for me) and let me know what y’all think.

I don’t tow/haul heavy loads with my truck  that often. So, I was thinking about putting new 1/2 ton springs on my truck and using the airbags when I tow/haul heavy things. Any real reason why this wouldn’t work?

• Staff

I think it's better when you go to sell this truck if it does not look messed with or have missing hardware. I would pass on a truck if looked like that underneath. In my opinion it looks very bad. Remember this coming from a guy that is very opinionated and fussy about having things right.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I think it's better when you go to sell this truck if it does not look messed with or have missing hardware. I would pass on a truck if looked like that underneath. In my opinion it looks very bad. Remember this coming from a guy that is very opinionated and fussy about having things right.

I’m never selling this truck so that’s not a concern. I bought it to keep for the long haul, othwise I wouldn’t have sunk so much time and money into it lol.

It currently doesn’t have a dash and is painted with black bed liner. No one besides me would want this truck anyway lol.

Edited by The_Hammer
My spelling suck my grammer suck

• Staff

The new 3500ks with OEM air assist suspension are similar to that. They have 2 softer leaves with airbags vs 4 stiffer leaves. The biggest differences is that they have 2 half leaves under the main leaves that help control axle wrap, and provide some overload help. The Cummins torque could do some descent twisting to the 1/2 ton springs so you would need some sort of anti-wrap device. That could be 1/2 leaves or traction bars. 

With 5-10 psi in the bags the 1/2 springs should ride nice and not squat. 

I just looked up the curb weights for an 05 QC LB 1500 vs 2500. 2260 vs 2690... 230lbs different, not a lot. 

Here are the best pics I could find of the 3500 air assist suspension. The lower, thicker, leaves are the 1/ 2 leaves. 

057257C2-25AF-4A28-BF45-4658679470FE.jpeg

BFCC14BD-DF3B-4350-98A1-395429434243.jpeg

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

• Staff
8 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

I’m never selling this truck so that’s not a concern. I bought it to keep for the long haul, othwise I wouldn’t have sunk so much time and money into it lol.

It currently doesn’t have a dash and is painted with black bed liner. No one besides me would want this truck anyway lol.

I understand:USflag:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AH64ID said:

The new 3500ks with OEM air assist suspension are similar to that. They have 2 softer leaves with airbags vs 4 stiffer leaves. The biggest differences is that they have 2 half leaves under the main leaves that help control axle wrap, and provide some overload help. The Cummins torque could do some descent twisting to the 1/2 ton springs so you would need some sort of anti-wrap device. That could be 1/2 leaves or traction bars. 

With 5-10 psi in the bags the 1/2 springs should ride nice and not squat. 

I just looked up the curb weights for an 05 QC LB 1500 vs 2500. 2260 vs 2690... 230lbs different, not a lot. 

Here are the best pics I could find of the 3500 air assist suspension. The lower, thicker, leaves are the 1/ 2 leaves. 

057257C2-25AF-4A28-BF45-4658679470FE.jpeg

BFCC14BD-DF3B-4350-98A1-395429434243.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I’m going to either buy or build a pair of traction bars later on. 

The end goal for this truck (suspension wise) is to replace my current 2” coil spacers with a pair of 3” lift progressive rate springs and install some extended control arms to properly center the axle. For the rear I’m planning to use the air bags as an add-leaf.

• Owner

@AH64ID 3rd Gen suspension is way different than 2nd Gen. Kind of an apple to orange problem.

Here is stock 2nd gen 1500. Yes it would squat... Spring leaves are a bit thinner.20171220_111149.jpg

Same 3 thick but 2500 appear just a bit thicker. The bottom leaf on the 1/2 ton is for sure thinner. 

20171218_151431.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

You will need a longer track bar to center wheels side to side and longer end links. You may already have longer shocks.

I have a DOR track bar that’s good for up to 3” of lift. I also have a pair of the 0-2.5” lift Bilstein 5100’s and extended end links. 

48 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

20171218_151431.jpg

So this 3/4 ton leaf pack has 3 main leaves, an overload on the bottom and an overload on top. My leaf pack also has three main leaves but there is a gap in the spring alignment clamp like it’s missing one. 

19B9EDCD-6147-421B-A502-3935537C1795.jpeg.a1916bb6fd3f0eeb5fda56384c2fc588.jpeg

In the end I’ll probably just buy new 3/4 ton packs and be done with it. I’m done with all of the “WTF” mods that have been done to this truck. 

• Like 1

• Staff

My point was the standard weight on the rear axle of a 1/2 vs 3/4 isn’t that much different. 1/2 springs will support empty weight without issue when combined with airbags. 2nd gen 1500 springs are rated for 3900lbs. At 10 psi airbags support 500 lbs of weight which more than covers the difference. 

Its not apples to oranges, it’s lbs to lbs. 

axle wrap will be the biggest issue, which is why I showed how it’s controlled on an OEM setup. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1