• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power door locks

Power door locks

My pass side stopped unlocking a couple years ago. It would lock,down. but not unlock,up just makes a noise, eeeegh

I have never took the door panel off and to check it out.

Then I saw power door lock mechanisms at Geno's for about $200 ,,,geeze !

So has any one repaired a power door lock or do they just phuck up and need replacing like all the other new modern electronic crap?

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

Sounds like the switch is good. You might find its just a bad linkage part or piece in the door and can make it yourself. I did a lot of things like that on my old 92. Sometimes its just a retainer clip that holds the linkage that falls out.

43 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Yeah, the dreaded pull the door panel !

Do I need to go buy some plastic push clip thingies that are going to get messed up

Yes. The panel is brittle, best to pry a little and cut the little clips. Pry too much and the panel can break before the retainers/clips pull out.

clipsandfasteners.com has them 

• Thanks 1

The mirror switch is just connected to the door panel. All you need to do is disconnect the wire one you get the panel open far enough. At least thats how mounted mine. Mine door panels still seem very flexable to me. Never had to pull the whole thing tough.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎23 at 10:03 PM, GSP7 said:

Power door locks

My pass side stopped unlocking a couple years ago. It would lock,down. but not unlock,up just makes a noise ....

So has any one repaired a power door lock or do they just phuck up and need replacing like all the other new modern electronic crap?

If it's just the switch ..... it's an easy repair.

Pop the window/lock pod out of the door. Easy to do with a small screwdriver. Un-plug and remove the switch. Gently remove the flat panel on the underside of the switch pod. The contacts will now be visible. A small piece of fine/worn out wet & dry sand paper can be used to clean the oxidation off of the copper contacts. Wipe with a cue-tip and brake cleaner.

Re-install ...... have cleaned mine 3-4 times.

Note:  The plastic of the switch pod is old and tabs can be broken off / missing. Small zip ties work very well to hold the bottom panel in place.

The whole operation will take 10 - 15 minutes.

• Like 1