• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2019 GM vehicles without pedal or steering wheel

• Owner
1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I had better keep my opinion to myself on this one. :thumb1:

I'll tell you my opinion that this very scary times. Where cars are driven by computers and we all know how much computers can screw up stuff when they fail. We see that now with our own trucks even the simple electronics we've got. I don't like the idea of letting a computer make the choices of how to drive. I've been in several close calls in just this last year that only human nature and experience would keep you from harm. Something like this would of not been able to make those split-second choices and prevented an accident. I know Google has been working on their version of the driverless car as well. 

• Staff

I feel the same way.... nothing will out do better than a Sober, alert and on the ball person in a nice truck.:thumb1:

You wouldn't catch me in one of those and I'd bet because of the cheap solder used, they have a limit on how long they can be used on the road. Silver does not cost all that much to use in circuitry.

Edited by JAG1

I dont like the idea of a computer driving me around BUT humans, in general, are far more likely to make an error in judgement based upon something like I am late or  passive aggressiviness  or looking at a pretty lady.  

I would wager every ounce of money I make in my entire lifetime that accident rates would go down if all cars were computer controlled.  Sure there would still be accidents due to computer error, but there would be far less computer controlled cars reading text messages. 

Good drivers these days are far out numbered by bad drivers. 

Edited by Me78569
  • Haha 1

• Staff

I see what your saying, but when they first roll out for the market let the guniea pigs try them out for like about the first 10 years. After 20 the old technology will become a desired classic and a nice second gen Cummins will be worth 40,000 bucks. LOL.

7 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I dont like the idea of a computer driving me around BUT humans, in general, are far more likely to make an error in judgement based upon something like I am late or  passive aggressiviness  or looking at a pretty lady.  

I would wager every ounce of money I make in my entire lifetime that accident rates would go down if all cars were computer controlled.  Sure there would still be accidents due to computer error, but there would be far less computer controlled cars reading text messages. 

Good drivers these days are far out numbered by bad drivers. 

I would have to agree on what you say. I am staying about 6 miles from my job here in Maryland. The 4 lane highway I travel in a 55 mph highway and folks are driving 75 and darting in and out just pass one more car. I figure most of them left the house 15 minutes late and are trying to get to work on time. Maybe thats whats needed to slow them down. i think they would all be surprised it they just drove 55 to work and see what difference it makes. Sure you can run 75 to the next light but you going to stop almost as much.

I just hope they are getting the electronics right and someone knows how to diagnose any issues better than on my truck. If not they will be junking them after 5 years because no one knows how to work on them or you cant afford the diagnostics.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

As much as i do not like the idea of a driver-less car. imagine the taxi drivers are going to raise a stink over this. how about someone hacking your car, having you killed, then erasing all traces of said hack. or how about having to "jailbrake" your car in order to break the speed limit, (passing people) or just having fun.  

it could in theory have one perk. car drops you off at work, then get's hailed by a ride share (uber, lift) and makes you some money during the day. that is about the only good thing i can see. the rest outweigh the one good though. 

i've said it before, they want to stop humans from driving, and take the Cash away as well. 

Control control control. 

• Staff

No more traffic infractions or driving under the influence arrests/accidents.  The saving of misery from injury let alone the reduction in deaths incurred is worth the removal of the human factor.     

Think of it...  No more drivers education or driver's license testing needed,  A reduced Dept. of Motor Vehicle staff.

Attorneys that specialize in driving under the influence and vehicle injury cases will have to find a new area of law to practice.    

Since no one is driving the revenue stream from fines and fees collected by the county/state for infractions would dry up.  We all know that the government can't do with less so the government will come up with new and more creative ways to suck the money out of your pocket.  One way, which is being tested in select areas of California, is charge a fee for each mile the vehicle is driven.

So are we seeing the beginning of the end of driving a car?  No there will still be some around just like the horse and buggy is today.  A novelty and nothing more. 

I saw an article a while back about the first autonomus taxi cab on the road in San Francisco and it was involved in a collision not twenty minutes after launch. Never found out who's fault but nothing will ever replace flesh n blood reasoning I'm a class a CDL holder and I know no machine will ever be able to make that call when your left with either kill yourself or kill 50 Innocents in a bus. As a professional there is an assumed risk that goes with it . Duty responsibility to your fellow drivers to make that call something most of the new breed of steering wheel holders don't get . It's our duty to do the least damage even if it means my life I'll not kill others to save myself and machines will never get that

• Thanks 1