• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

M,

Yes this is true with engine oil, BUT we change it MUCH earlier.  The oil dies from combustion byproducts, not "viscosity breakdown".  It gets "dirty".  Rarely was there a combustion engine (for standard motor vehicles) that had oil temperature problems that were more damaging to the oil faster than the dirt build up.  (you could think early air cooled VW flat 4's, some air cooled motorcycles. Some of the newer small turbo or supercharged 4 cylinders may have a tendency to overheat oil.. turbos especially can do that.)   You can watch here on the site, there are some guys that have their oil tested to make sure the additives are still there and such and only change it when it is finally "too bad" to repair.  

I am responsible for some 500 hp gearboxes at work.  These gear boxes have never had an "oil change" in 30 years (they hold 200 gallons).  but we send off samples quarterly, and based on recommendations, add additive packages into the system, or sometimes remove 30 gallons and add 30 of new.  But the heating/cooling system keeps the oil at a constant temperature.  Water is one of my biggest problems and am constantly running a portion of the oil through a water separator.

Hag

• Staff
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Not to mention if you have a filter and in plugs up are you willing to lose steering and braking control because you trying to extend a fluid change interval? Not I... I'd rather change it every 30k miles. 

A quality transmission/power steering filter has a bypass valve in it, like an oil filter does, other wise there would be a lot of burned up transmissions out there.  So as far as losing your steering or brakes because of it, I don't think so.

An inline filter does just that, it filters the fluid of different particulates.  It does this two ways.  First the fluid passes over a magnet which collects any iron particles.  The fluid then passes through a filter which removes the other contaminants.  The filter will in no way protect the fluid from thermal breakdown but will protect the pump, steering box and hydro boost from premature wear and brake down due to contaminated fluid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Wrong thread?

Maybe he meant to say that when people put bigger tires on, a lot of times they put aftermarket rims on too, which are heavier so total weight will contribute to even faster degradation of power steering fluid and wear and tear on the gearbox and other parts.

I'm just making things up as I go trying to read between the lines.

• Owner
12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Maybe he meant to say that when people put bigger tires on, a lot of times they put aftermarket rims on too, which are heavier so total weight will contribute to even faster degradation of power steering fluid and wear and tear on the gearbox and other parts.

Work in a tire shop for one summer you'll understand the weight difference really fast everytime you lift those heavy 35 and 37-inch wheel and tire combos. I've worked in a tire shop twice in my life so far. 

• Like 1

I worked in a Western Auto for my first job at the tender age of 14. Never touched any over sized wheels and tires back in 1967. To young to operate the tire changer. But Loyd the boss man helped mount the 4 tires and showed me how to mount the right side tires and then left me alone to mount the left side tires. Does any body remember that left side Chrysler wheels had left hand threads back then? I sure did not. Could not get them started. Lefty loosy and righty tighty is all I knew then. Loyd loved every minute of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Work in a tire shop for one summer you'll understand the weight difference really fast everytime you lift those heavy 35 and 37-inch wheel and tire combos. I've worked in a tire shop twice in my life so far. 

Lol I actually have for short time, but when I really felt some waight is when I built my own 20" rims out of military split rims, took 2 to make one and some custom cut centers. Just the rim weighed about 90lb and tire was about 380lb I put them together and on my truck all by myself,  it was fun least to say. I manhandled all of it, but I was young then. When I went to get my tires guy couldn't belive that I loaded them all buy my self, he had bad back and said I was crazy, I know now why as I got a bad back now lol, I'll never learn probably die before I do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm just making things up as I go trying to read between the lines.

Hehe I get it now... 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I can just see ol Mike draggin tires around all day! LOL!! 

29 minutes ago, dripley said:

I worked in a Western Auto for my first job at the tender age of 14. Never touched any over sized wheels and tires back in 1967. To young to operate the tire changer. But Loyd the boss man helped mount the 4 tires and showed me how to mount the right side tires and then left me alone to mount the left side tires. Does any body remember that left side Chrysler wheels had left hand threads back then? I sure did not. Could not get them started. Lefty loosy and righty tighty is all I knew then. Loyd loved every minute of it.

HAHA! 

• Owner
8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I can just see ol Mike draggin tires around all day! LOL!! 

What made it bad is I've already got a bad back. Little cars not a problem I could throw those all day. Fat Ford with 37-inch tires I typically past the job up to the Shop Pup's so I didn't trash my back attempting to lift those heavy bastards. All I had to do is even do a rotation on a truck with 37's and I was hurting for the afternoon. I really do understand the weight differtence.

10 hours ago, dripley said:

Does any body remember that left side Chrysler wheels had left hand threads back then?

Yes, I do my old 1972 Dodge Power wagon had those too. 

Back in the days of my first digital camera that was a 0.3 Megapixel. LOL...

1972 Dodge Pickup - Left Side.jpg

This is the truck I ruined the front axle on with oversized tires. Done enough damage that I needed to get rid of it. So it was a trade in for my 2002 Dodge I've got now.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What made it bad is I've already got a bad back. Little cars not a problem I could throw those all day. Fat Ford with 37-inch tires I typically past the job up to the Shop Pup's so I didn't trash my back attempting to lift those heavy bastards. All I had to do is even do a rotation on a truck with 37's and I was hurting for the afternoon. I really do understand the weight differtence.

Yes, I do my old 1972 Dodge Power wagon had those too. 

Back in the days of my first digital camera that was a 0.3 Megapixel. LOL...

1972 Dodge Pickup - Left Side.jpg

This is the truck I ruined the front axle on with oversized tires. Done enough damage that I needed to get rid of it. So it was a trade in for my 2002 Dodge I've got now.

HAha!