• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket and studs are here. Fedex magically lost the cylinder head so I cancelled the order as I do not have time to wait for them to screw around. Pedestals will be machined today. Trucks getting towed back to the shop tomorrow. I'll have the gasket and the injectors done this weekend. Yayyyyy for cleaning the cooling system. Can't wait.

38 minutes ago, notlimah said:

What all needs to be done to clean the cooling system after a blown HG?

Not sure of proper way, probably some cleaner with water and flushing. All I did is ran garden hose through engine after it was assembled  (thermostat left out, just a gasket in place) few times, when it looked clean filled it up with water and drove around 10 minutes then did that few times, then drained everything out including heater core, because I'm anal I spent money on distilled water and filled it up with that ran another 10 minutes, then again drained everything out, finally filled it up with fleet guard antifreeze that's blue in color 60/40 Mix 60 being antifreeze.  

• Thanks 1

Watching with great interest. I am going to be in the same boat in the near future. Got a little water weeping at the right front corner of the head. Have not pulled a head in over 40 years. Damn the butter full speed ahead!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jlbayes said:

.010" off the head, which is not bad for not knowing the history. New Cummins .010" on its way. Pedestals are machined for the studs. Gonna be a busy weekend.

How much did it cost you to machine the pedestals? 

I asked 2 shops today about doing them. One shop wouldn't do it, the other said it would be $40 each... Screw that.

11 hours ago, dripley said:

Watching with great interest. I am going to be in the same boat in the near future. Got a little water weeping at the right front corner of the head. Have not pulled a head in over 40 years. Damn the butter full speed ahead!!

This will get you by for a while I had several cars before that leaked out of intake gasket got me by for few years then I just sold it. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-S-Leaks-Hdc-Radiator-Stop-Leak-Tablet-60-Grams/848332303?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=837&adid=22222222228142637028&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=253376739785&wl4=pla-418143527695&wl5=9018656&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112343835&wl11=online&wl12=848332303&wl13=&veh=sem

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Are you getting extra thick gasket to compensate

Medium thick. There is a .020" gasket as well. But yes, that is the idea.

14 hours ago, Texas CTD said:

How much did it cost you to machine the pedestals? 

I asked 2 shops today about doing them. One shop wouldn't do it, the other said it would be $40 each... Screw that.

We have a good standing relationship with a local machine shop. My dad and the shop trade work between each other. For that price pure diesel power sells pre-machined pedestals......If I had a vertical mill I would do them myself. It takes about hour between setup and cutting. Just to make sure they are parallel.

@dripley if you have any questions lemme know. I have these down to a pretty good science. I'll show eryone the proper way to install head studs as well. :sick:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

if you have any questions lemme know. I have these down to a pretty good science. I'll show eryone the proper way to install head studs as well

I will appreciate all the help I can get. Like I said it has been a while. Now all I need is the time to do it. There is a still the machine shop in town that did the machine work for me 40 years ago. I think they still have a good rep. There is also a diesel performance shop with a machine shop that I am going to try and get by soon and check them out.