• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ground Reference VP44,ECM,PCM,PDC plus TC lock/unlock

I just got thru doing @W-T ground mod. Not complete however, I lack the ground between the 2 batteries and did not remove all of the splices on the PCM ground. Those will have to wait, not long I hope. I did just as @W-T and @IBMobile describe. All went well and when I fired it up everything ran hot straight and normal. 

Now the thing that surprised was the ac voltage reading on the alternator. Prior to this I had marginal reading of .035. After the mod I have a reading of .010. I was expecting a difference but not that much on the same alternator. It took me a lot longer than @IBMobiledid, but I expected that. Whenever I do something I am not used to doing I move pretty slow and deliberate.   

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else that has done this is seeing that much improvement on the ac voltage.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dripley said:

I just got thru doing @W-T ground mod. Not complete however, I lack the ground between the 2 batteries and did not remove all of the splices on the PCM ground. Those will have to wait, not long I hope. I did just as @W-T and @IBMobile describe. All went well and when I fired it up everything ran hot straight and normal. 

Now the thing that surprised was the ac voltage reading on the alternator. Prior to this I had marginal reading of .035. After the mod I have a reading of .010. I was expecting a difference but not that much on the same alternator. It took me a lot longer than @IBMobiledid, but I expected that. Whenever I do something I am not used to doing I move pretty slow and deliberate.   

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else that has done this is seeing that much improvement on the ac voltage.

I will be doing mine in the next week or 2 i will take before and after reading at alternator and both batteries

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Man I wish someone would do this on my truck for me!

If I can you can do it, and I despise wiring. But I do know that to see 500k out of her, I am going to have to get educated on this side of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner
36 minutes ago, dripley said:

If I can you can do it, and I despise wiring. But I do know that to see 500k out of her, I am going to have to get educated on this side of things.

You'll make it. Even without the education on electrical. You are at what 4xxk miles? I'm chasing you down at 340k miles now and still rolling. 

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You'll make it. Even without the education on electrical. You are at what 4xxk miles? I'm chasing you down at 340k miles now and still rolling. 

439.5k. I will make it, but some electrical education cant hurt.

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am right there with you Dripley. I am only 31, and some of the electrical knowledge on here blows me away, but  thanks to all of those who take the time to explain, and pictures help.

• Like 2

• Owner
29 minutes ago, dripley said:

As long as you don't let the magic smoke out of the wires your doing good...

Image result for letting the magic smoke out of the wires

Now we come around full circle again. Dodge managed to produce a charging system with loads in excess of what the alternator can handle and let "The Magic Smoke" out of the alternator diodes. 

Image result for mopar1973man alternator diodes

My previous post was in jest but also holds some merit... :shifty:

• Haha 1

• Staff
14 hours ago, dripley said:

That is a cool result showing how important this mod really is. Thank you Dripley I hope others report their A/C noise before and after as well.

BTW, you did not seem too chicken to do it...lol. If nothin' fries then your good to go.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As long as you don't let the magic smoke out of the wires your doing good...

Image result for letting the magic smoke out of the wires

Now we come around full circle again. Dodge managed to produce a charging system with loads in excess of what the alternator can handle and let "The Magic Smoke" out of the alternator diodes. 

Image result for mopar1973man alternator diodes

My previous post was in jest but also holds some merit... :shifty:

First thing i did was disconnect the batteries. Then checked and rechecked everything to be sure it wasmright and i had not picked up a not for ground somewhere or a ground for a hot. Trust (me), but verify(me the electrician). Burning wires and electronics would have been a major set back.

4 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

I am right there with you Dripley. I am only 31, and some of the electrical knowledge on here blows me away, but  thanks to all of those who take the time to explain, and pictures help.

This is why I hang around this place. Learned a lot from these folks here. Great bunch.

5 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I hope to get that or more! Currently at 129 got a ways to go! 

Pretty easy for me to rack the miles up. I am back to near 1000 a week again getting back and forth to work.

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

That is a cool result showing how important this mod really is. Thank you Dripley I hope others report their A/C noise before and after as well.

BTW, you did not seem too chicken to do it...lol. If nothin' fries then your good to go.

I just checked it again after arriving here in Maryland and it still sits at .010v ac. Another thing i noticed was the charge in the batteries seems a bit higher. I usually see 12.45v at best. I checked today and see 12.65v. I will try to remember to check it in the morning after it sits all night.

BTW I chickened out on it last weekend and just bit the bullet and did it this week end. So far nothing has fried, not even the chicken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dripley said:

First thing i did was disconnect the batteries. Then checked and rechecked everything to be sure it wasmright and i had not picked up a not for ground somewhere or a ground for a hot. Trust (me), but verify(me the electrician). Burning wires and electronics would have been a major set back.

This is why I hang around this place. Learned a lot from these folks here. Great bunch.

Pretty easy for me to rack the miles up. I am back to near 1000 a week again getting back and forth to work.

I just checked it again after arriving here in Maryland and it still sits at .010v ac. Another thing i noticed was the charge in the batteries seems a bit higher. I usually see 12.45v at best. I checked today and see 12.65v. I will try to remember to check it in the morning after it sits all night.

BTW I chickened out on it last weekend and just bit the bullet and did it this week end. So far nothing has fried, not even the chicken.

So when this truck dies are you gonna get another 24 valve or a newer truck?

30 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

So when this truck dies are you gonna get another 24 valve or a newer truck?

My youngest son is driving to the grave yard in this one. But, as he put it, it better be running right or he is calling ahead and telling them to "dig a bigger hole". Feel the love!!!

8 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley you must get to camp sometime and teach me how to do 'beer can chicken'. All I know is its not the one where your apprehension to do wiring causes you to drink more beer. lol

Never done beer can chicken. Usually when I cook chicken you have make chicken salad out of it. You need plenty of mayo to help you swallow it. Tastes good just a little on the dry side.

As far as the wiring once I knew I had a grip on it I allowed myself pre victory beers.:cheers:

And on the beer can chicken I do know it is most important to be sure you don't use a full, unopened can of beer. That is unless you like space chicken.:smart:

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...