• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically controlling the pressure getting to the wastegate. So if the hose was directly connect to the wastegate it would be open by 20 PSI and it quits building boost. This little 5 dollar part is going to regulate the pressure getting to the wastegate so the wastegate stay shut longer allowing you to build more boost. This does create more power. 

HX35W has a maximum limit of 35 PSI

HY35W has a maximum limit of 32 PSI

Beyond this your hitting the choke point of the turbo. If you had a drive pressure gauge hook up to the exhaust manifold and the boost pressure gauge you would see the drive pressure rising faster than boost which is the choke point and EGT's just take off from there. 

thanks so much for getting back. So this adjustable pressure valve will adj. the pressure going to the wastegate allowing for more boost.   Will this effect the engine getting too much pressure when you quickly get off the throttle and you hear the the waste gate open and can that be a problem

• Owner
27 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

thanks so much for getting back. So this adjustable pressure valve will adj. the pressure going to the wastegate allowing for more boost.   Will this effect the engine getting too much pressure when you quickly get off the throttle and you hear the the waste gate open and can that be a problem

Actually, that is called "Turbo Bark". That is not the wastegate but the built-up pressure attempting to spin the turbo backwards because the driven pressure dropped away too quickly. So the solution to that problem is to ease off the throttle not drop the throttle. 

I had trouble getting consistent pressure numbers between the primary and secondary. This was shortly after I decided to ditch the gross external wastegate setup I had and just drill out the gate on the HX35. I'd step on it, they'd spool, and the longer boost was held, the more the ratio would change. Depending what I did, the gate would blow open too early, or too late.

I had this laying around and decided to give it a try. It keeps the low pressure away from the gate reference while spooling so it doesn't open early, but still allows it to open fully when pressure overcomes the ball and spring. I think it helped hold the gate shut a little longer and not divert exhaust to the primary too early.

I think where the boost elbow falls short is it regulates flow to the wastegate reference, not pressure. You can use one to make the gate open a little later, but eventually that pressure will catch up on the outlet side of the boost elbow. My experience will be a lot different than someone with a single, but I think either way it gives a good level of control. 

I'd like to see a video of the boost gauge on a single turbo WOT run before and after. I think the $5 controller will peak and hold a little better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kzimmer said:

I had trouble getting consistent pressure numbers between the primary and secondary. This was shortly after I decided to ditch the gross external wastegate setup I had and just drill out the gate on the HX35. I'd step on it, they'd spool, and the longer boost was held, the more the ratio would change. Depending what I did, the gate would blow open too early, or too late.

I had this laying around and decided to give it a try. It keeps the low pressure away from the gate reference while spooling so it doesn't open early, but still allows it to open fully when pressure overcomes the ball and spring. I think it helped hold the gate shut a little longer and not divert exhaust to the primary too early.

I think where the boost elbow falls short is it regulates flow to the wastegate reference, not pressure. You can use one to make the gate open a little later, but eventually that pressure will catch up on the outlet side of the boost elbow. My experience will be a lot different than someone with a single, but I think either way it gives a good level of control. 

I'd like to see a video of the boost gauge on a single turbo WOT run before and after. I think the $5 controller will peak and hold a little better.

Thank you. I may have to look into one of these as I am planning on compounds for my junk. I could give feedback on the single charger aspect on it as well. @trreed this may solve your gauge bounce.

I've been considering getting one.  Only holdup I'm having is it's 3" long and I don't really have a place to mount it where my wastegate line runs.

And I'm pretty sure there isn't enough preload on the actuator rod and that's why its bouncy

Edited by trreed

one more question before I do the modification.  I have an elbow with I believe an allen screw for adjustment at the turbo. I assume I would remove that elbow and put in a free flowing elbow before I install the manual boost control.

1 hour ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

one more question before I do the modification.  I have an elbow with I believe an allen screw for adjustment at the turbo. I assume I would remove that elbow and put in a free flowing elbow before I install the manual boost control.

Yes, look at IBMobile picture above. He just mounted it to fender for easy access. 

I got one of these on the way myself, never liked that stupid boost elbow with allen screw. Hopefully this one works better so I can turn defuel off or move it to a higher setting and see what she's got in a safe wot :burnout: