• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best towing injector size

Im running a 63 68 12 /s475 setup and i currently have 7x09 injectors... I'm looking to see what you guys recommend for my setup as my 7 by 9s are too small now. The truck is a manual trans and primarily used to tow the camp trailer in the summertime at about 5000 through 9000 foot elevation.

42 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Im running a 63 68 12 /s475 setup and i currently have 7x09 injectors... I'm looking to see what you guys recommend for my setup as my 7 by 9s are too small now. The truck is a manual trans and primarily used to tow the camp trailer in the summertime at about 5000 through 9000 foot elevation.

I would think with a smarty it would smoke like a freight train already. More so with bigger injectors. That being said I think 7x10s would be alright but I can’t say so for sure. 

• Thanks 1

Smarty stays on level 3 and i will have to look at my revo settings but smoke cleans up almost 100% by 1700rpm...my setup lights faaaast

Thanks guys,...jlbayes what do u recommend for #' of holes 6 or 7? And could you tell me why please? Thanks again for all your help along the way on a bunch of different things. That new steering shaft fixed my problem 100%

33 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Smarty stays on level 3 and i will have to look at my revo settings but smoke cleans up almost 100% by 1700rpm...my setup lights faaaast

Thanks guys,...jlbayes what do u recommend for #' of holes 6 or 7? And could you tell me why please? Thanks again for all your help along the way on a bunch of different things. That new steering shaft fixed my problem 100%

What steering problem did you have? 

33 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

I would not have anything smaller than a 7x.012" or 6x.013" in there.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

jlbayes what do u recommend for #' of holes 6 or 7?

I'm not him but it's mostly about your cleanliness and power desires.  6x0.013's will make more power, but the 7x0.012's will not haze as bad.  With a smarty and that much fuel, it will smoke way more regardless of which of the two above you choose.

49 minutes ago, trreed said:

I'm not him but it's mostly about your cleanliness and power desires.  6x0.013's will make more power, but the 7x0.012's will not haze as bad.  With a smarty and that much fuel, it will smoke way more regardless of which of the two above you choose.

Ok thank you for the explanation i greatly appreciate it.. im not sure what to do...i want a good powered tow rig for my camp trailer but im not willing to tap the vp44...so i guess im stuck...i dont want high egt or a ton of smoke.

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

What steering problem did you have? 

Replaced everything on front end and still super loose...bayes told me to check the steering shaft,it was shot.not sure why i didnt even think to lookat it lol

7 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Ok thank you for the explanation i greatly appreciate it.. im not sure what to do...i want a good powered tow rig for my camp trailer but im not willing to tap the vp44...so i guess im stuck...i dont want high egt or a ton of smoke.

If you aren't willing to tap the VP, there's still options for you.  For example, you could buy a Quadzilla Adrenaline, not tap the VP, and still have the V2 custom tuning. (that would be my recommendation).  Can't beat the timing and fueling adjustments of the quad.  

Another option is to find something like an edge EZ or a Quadzilla XZT. 

1 hour ago, trreed said:

If you aren't willing to tap the VP, there's still options for you.  For example, you could buy a Quadzilla Adrenaline, not tap the VP, and still have the V2 custom tuning. (that would be my recommendation).  Can't beat the timing and fueling adjustments of the quad.  

Awesome i got a buddy with a ez for sale...can i run it with the smarty or is that a no go?

You cannot stack them.  With the size injectors you will have you need some sort of custom tuning.  

The S03, ez, xzt, comp, ts setups are all geared to stockish sized injectors, you will be overfueling down low with any canned tune.

If you want to control smoke and egt's then you are left with MM3 tuning, or the Quadzilla adr with V2 ( without wiretapping) .  The Quadzilla is VASTLY cheaper and you can tune yourself.

I did some datalogging with the S03 on my old truck( 7x .012's and a he351vgt at high elevation) , smoke control was nearly impossible unloaded, and %100 impossible while towing.

here's my old setup with the quadzilla towing.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

I was just thinking the same thing that he should get away from the smarty S-03 tuning and move over to either Smarty UDC or Quadzilla to control fuel to boost numbers. That is one thing a Smarty S-03 is kind of short in is fuel control for big injectors. 

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The Quadzilla is VASTLY cheaper and you can tune yourself.

Bingo. Not only that you don't need a PC and do all your tuning on your mobile device. 

I'm currently sitting on a Smarty Touch. But Can't really use it till I find a Windows PC. The Canned S-03 tune will be smokey and timing map will be all wrong. Being Smarty UDC doesn't work on Linux I'm stuck till I can get a Windows PC just to be able to tune this Smarty. 

Till then the Quadzilla Adrenaline does it all without a PC and has 3 times the power of a Smarty Touch on a 24V Cummins. 

• Thanks 1

awesome thank you everyone for the input...looks like that is what im going to go with is the adrenaline.can yall put together a list of everything i need?looks like i biy my own monitor?any specific brand

18 hours ago, trreed said:

Awesome i got a buddy with a ez for sale...can i run it with the smarty or is that a no go?

Sorry not sure why it quoted all of that haha