• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Muffler or resonator delete

8 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Mellow but louder.

I just got the muffler delete and loving it. I agree with @KATOOM about the sound.  Got some drone when under load but nice when cruising.  I'm going try strapping a piece of angle to the pipe to help with drone.  Of course it's been a while since having a non stock exhaust (and my first diesel) so it could all be as it should be.

I now fear my mileage will suffer cause I want to hear it.  I'm noticing my TPS on OBDlink is higher than my normal habit. :burnout2:

There was a post a while ago about controlling drone but haven't found it yet. 

L8tr

D

25 minutes ago, SilverMoose said:

I now fear my mileage will suffer cause I want to hear it.  I'm noticing my TPS on OBDlink is higher than my normal habit. :burnout2:

UNDERSTANDABLE! And it is fun too.  Have fun, but not too much fun so the local Police and or Sheriff departments don't profit from it along the way.  :wink:

56 minutes ago, SilverMoose said:

I just got the muffler delete and loving it. I agree with @KATOOM about the sound.  Got some drone when under load but nice when cruising.  I'm going try strapping a piece of angle to the pipe to help with drone.  Of course it's been a while since having a non stock exhaust (and my first diesel) so it could all be as it should be.

There was a post a while ago about controlling drone but haven't found it yet. 

L8tr

D

If you want to eliminate drone without adding an inline resonator then the only solution is a helmholtz chamber.  WAY more complicated as you have to calculate the drone wave when determining the length of the chamber, but it does the job without quieting the exhaust note. :thumbup2:

14 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

If you want to eliminate drone without adding an inline resonator then the only solution is a helmholtz chamber.  WAY more complicated as you have to calculate the drone wave when determining the length of the chamber, but it does the job without quieting the exhaust note. :thumbup2:

Well at least now I know there is such a thing. Amazing how old the technology is.

4 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

@KATOOMwhat is the “T”post you are referring to?

A regular old fencing T post.  Take the bottom spade off and you have a cheap angle iron that can be strapped to the exhaust.  Redneck?...yes.  Hokey?...absolutely, which is why I placed it up high on the top so you couldnt see it unless looking for it.

And it doesnt eliminate drone but does reduce it by changing when the drone occurs.

Here's a picture of what it looked like. :lol3:

Exhaust t post.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes...it is pretty stupid looking. :doh:  But in my defense I was merely experimenting, only to find it worked so I ended up leaving it there for a few years. :) 

As for what it does and why it works, just think of drone as something similar to a guitar string.  The exhaust pulse waves traveling through the pipe will ring a tone.  To cancel the pulse you can use a resonator which interrupts the pulses, or you can try to change the mass of the material the tone is traveling through to another pitch which isnt regular driving rpm's.  This is why some aftermarket exhaust systems drone more obnoxious than others.

• Owner

Like mine is right at 2,100 RPM's the drone starts. Common for 55 MPH in 4th gear (1:1 direct). So I got to speed up or slow down to change the frequency of the exhaust note to stop the drone from occurring. Which is weird all these years of running 3" straight piped and 3" flow through muffled and never had a drone or EGT issue even towing. Now switch up to Diamond Eye 4-inch with muffler with a muffler and now have drone issue. Thankfully It's not common to hit that combination often for me on my long haul lately. 

20180116_131140.jpg.6022f3598bf163eeff70

I will be getting my RV ready for the road this weekend and hauling south with it. 

Wall thickness, diameter, length, resonators, mufflers, hangers, and overall mass all will effect the exhaust system.  I'm going to be needing a new exhaust system at some point and am going to start looking into details of the various manufacturers that make a system for 98.5 to 02 to determine which one might be best for my needs.

I'm looking into going with a 4" aftermarket or NEW Walker OEM system.

Anyone have experience with the Magnaflow systems?

....................with the Banks systems?

........MBRP?

AFE?

etc.

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Which is weird all these years of running 3" straight piped and 3" flow through muffled and never had a drone or EGT issue even towing. Now switch up to Diamond Eye 4-inch with muffler with a muffler and now have drone issue.

I think the wall thickness has a huge effect on this drone at various engine RPM.

Take a look at the picture Katoom posted earlier in this thread and the difference between the two.  Very interesting.  Would like ot learn about wall thickness of various aftermarket before making a decision and can always go with Walker OEM to get good quality pipe material.

I have the Banks 4" with flow thru muffler on mine from back in 05. Not sure how much it has changed over the years. The sound has remained constant and I like it. It does have some drone it around 75, but being by myself most of the time I dont pay it much attention. It is only when some one rides with me do I notice how much noise the truck makes.

We ran Magna  Flow on the wife's 2000 Dakota. I really liked it. Great sound and no drone. All you heard was what came out the pipes. No clue of how it acts with the Cummins.

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

We ran Magna  Flow on the wife's 2000 Dakota. I really liked it. Great sound and no drone. All you heard was what came out the pipes. No clue of how it acts with the Cummins.

I would like to learn more about the Magnaflow systems.  From what I can tell looking online Magnaflow is Walker Exhaust high performance line!  And may be well engineered like the OEM systems are on many US cars and trucks.  

Thanks for the experience details.

Edited by Michaelsloft
Typo Spelling

13 hours ago, KATOOM said:

A regular old fencing T post.  Take the bottom spade off and you have a cheap angle iron that can be strapped to the exhaust.  Redneck?...yes.  Hokey?...absolutely, which is why I placed it up high on the top so you couldnt see it unless looking for it.

And it doesnt eliminate drone but does reduce it by changing when the drone occurs.

Here's a picture of what it looked like. :lol3:

Exhaust t post.jpg

I will have to add my pic after I put the angle on it today. I have a nice thick piece of 1" angle 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick from my old table saw fence rail. I knew I would use it someday.:hyper: