• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Muffler or resonator delete

Going to head to a local muffler shop tomorrow to get either the muffler or resonator taken off my stock system. I assume it would be a better idea to delete the muffler and keep the resonator. I would appreciate some input on which to do and has anyone done this. I just want to get a little more sound out of my truck but not have too much in cab drone. A friend did both and the sound is nice. But the best part is the cost. They only charged him 80 bucks to do both plus a chrome tip.  Can't even get a muffler delete pipe online for that price. 

Thanks in advance.

L8tr

D

• Owner

Ive enjoyed my straight through muffled 3 inch exhaust. Now I've got a diamond eye 4 inch exhaust with flow through muffled its not loud in the cab but the drone is louder now than the old 3 inch. I ran straight pipe 3 inch for years no issues for drone but it was loud. Everyone knew when I was coming home.

I had 4" with a muffler, straight pipe and now 4" straight with 6" stacks.  I don't find it real loud.  Cann' t carry a conversation on in the cab.  I ran a 671 Detroit with a straight pipe in a fishing boat for years so I'm GM deaf anyways

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Michaelsloft said:

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the resonator and the length? 

30in FTE on a diamond eye

3 minutes ago, trreed said:

Mine is also straight 4". However, I have a variant of a resonator before the downpipe that quiets it down real nice. Almost like I got it at Target.  Almost. 

You don’t count, you have twins so it’s quieter!!:shifty:

I deleted the stock muffler, then later the resonator.  So cool sounding I didnt care about the drone until a couple years later when it finally got the best of me...  So in attempt to fix it based on the guitar string concept of drone, I rednecked a T post to my exhaust with hose clamps where the muffler used to be and it changed the tone of the drone to a much more tolerable level.  I still thought the straight pipe stock exhaust (which isnt 3" but more like 2.75") was too raspy sounding, but low on my priority list of things to care about.

Then I started pulling a heavy 5th wheel toy hauler and noticed that my EGT's were hard to keep in check.  So I upgrading to a 4" without a muffler.  The EGT's were better and the overall tone of the exhaust was better sounding too.  The drone is still there but not annoying enough yet.

I "may" look into sticking a FTE under there somewhere but really I just dont feel like messing with it.  Man.....I sure made myself sound lazy. :whistle2:

Edited by KATOOM

20 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

I deleted the stock muffler, then later the resonator.  So cool sounding I didnt care about the drone until a couple years later when it finally got the best of me

When you deleted the muffler, but left the resonator was the sound "raspy" too or just louder?  I'm thinking the resonator might reduce the higher frequency sounds that tend to be raspy.  It is difficult to communicate all the intangibles of sound and noise levels etc, but raspy is a good way to describe some of the exhaust sounds! :thumb1:

I'm still running the stock original exhaust and may have to make some changes soon due to oxidation starting where in the mid-pipe goes into the muffler.....now that is lazy not making any changes for 19 years!:ahhh:

Have heard good things about the quality of sound from the FTE mufflers and resonators but have no personal experience, so anything you can share is appreciated and helpful.

Thank you.....

Edited by Michaelsloft
Typo

When I first deleted the muffler the sound was probably what I should have stuck with.  Mellow but louder.  I honestly dont remember there being any drone with the resonator still on there either but the time frame between having the muffler removed to when I had the resonator taken out was probably only a few months...  I drove with it straight piped for about 12 years until I installed the 4" exhaust.

4 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

When I first deleted the muffler the sound was probably what I should have stuck with.  Mellow but louder. 

hmmm....makes sense.  Did you find the 4" exhaust note to be deeper along with the raspy higher tones?  And with a resonator the 4" might be the best way to go for overall performance gains and sound quality.  

The 4" sounds much better in all aspects.  The "raspy" sound is gone and replaced with a deeper tone.  Again, the only reason I bothered to install a 4" was because the EGT's were too hot for me on hills while towing.  Only after removing the stock exhaust did I realize how small it was.....and smashed in various locations from the pinch bending and clamps used at the factory.  The pictures explain best.

Exhaust 3.jpg

Exhaust 4.jpg

Exhaust 5.jpg

Edited by KATOOM