• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Choosing the right turbo

46 minutes ago, mopar440cu said:

Well I ordered the one we were discussing. The 62/68/12cm. I could not beat the price and it has to be better than the HY for what I do. I have other 01 3500’s I could try the other one on later.

Did u get the sxe or box charger

• Owner
1 hour ago, mopar440cu said:

I also ordered the exhaust manifold and turbo blanket/soc to aid in heat reduction and a little extra boost. Well hopefully a hair boost.:burnout: LOL

Just add a bit more retard to the 1,500 RPM area and allow the engine to build boost for you. 

19 hours ago, mopar440cu said:

I just read this. So, you are saying with just the 110 sticks a 68mm inducer wheel would not do me justice?? 

Just did a quick search and its saying it doesnt flow on the exhaust side like the S300 and you should port the wastegate hole. I dont know about that. 

No, it will not.

You cannot compare a 60/58mm wheel to a 76/68 wheel. The larger is obviously going to move more mass flow.

19 hours ago, jlbayes said:

No, it will not.

You cannot compare a 60/58mm wheel to a 76/68 wheel. The larger is obviously going to move more mass flow.

So, if I am reading your post correct i should of gone to a bigger wheel? Sorry I am a neophyte on this subject.

Or should I put bigger injectors in it???

Edited by mopar440cu

On 5/5/2018 at 6:39 AM, mopar440cu said:

So, if I am reading your post correct i should of gone to a bigger wheel? Sorry I am a neophyte on this subject.

Let me know how you like that turbo. Im more than likely ordering one in the next few weeks or going with compounds.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:39 AM, mopar440cu said:

On 5/5/2018 at 8:51 AM, trreed said:

Smaller turbine wheel. Or bigger injectors. Like 7x0.012’s and use the quad to tune it back. 

What Trevor said.

16 hours ago, KMayborn said:

Let me know how you like that turbo. Im more than likely ordering one in the next few weeks or going with compounds.

Ok. I picked this one so I could possibly use it in a twin set up in the near future. If not, I will put it on one of the other 3500's.

Edited by mopar440cu

On 5/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, mopar440cu said:

I ordered the AGP S300 SXE Wastegated  62/68/12cm.

I ordered the same turbo back around Black Friday for my truck. With the quad and the custom tuning you will be able to light that turbo and get moving in a hurry. I saw you have a built tranny so you will be happy!! The guys here offering knowledge definitely know what they are talking about they offered the exact same advice for me!

If you’re not running studs don’t adjust the waste gate all that much. I had a faulty torque wrench when I installed my ARP’s and promptly blew my head gasket. I think it was a combo of added boost and “loose” head studs 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trreed said:

If you keep your timing curve conservative, you won't run into head gasket issues.

Ok thanks! What is conservative though??

6 hours ago, JDHudsn said:

I ordered the same turbo back around Black Friday for my truck. With the quad and the custom tuning you will be able to light that turbo and get moving in a hurry. I saw you have a built tranny so you will be happy!! The guys here offering knowledge definitely know what they are talking about they offered the exact same advice for me!

If you’re not running studs don’t adjust the waste gate all that much. I had a faulty torque wrench when I installed my ARP’s and promptly blew my head gasket. I think it was a combo of added boost and “loose” head studs 

Thanks!  Still waiting on it.

When you replaced your studs did you replace the studs one at a time or did you replace the gasket with it? I heard you could replace the studs one at a time without replacing the gasket, just have to follow the installation procedures. 

Thank you ALL for your advice!!!

3 hours ago, mopar440cu said:

When you replaced your studs did you replace the studs one at a time or did you replace the gasket with it? I heard you could replace the studs one at a time without replacing the gasket, just have to follow the installation procedures. 

Thank you ALL for your advice!!!

@mopar440cu my best advice would be to borrow a calibrated torque wrench. I bought a Tekon off amazon to do the install. It’s was a POS. Both times I torqued my studs I did one at a time and stepped them up to spec. I can tell you after I did the sequence with the Tekon and came back with a Proto torque wrench and I was able to get a full turn on the first 4 studs and by that time the next few studs were only finger tight..... also after about a week or so of heat cycles I took the rockers off again and checked everything. If you do your work yourself it’s worth the extra step. Trust me I did a head gasket all myself. It’s a PITA