• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

+50 Injectors

Can't thank everyone enough for the help. Let me review just a bit. This truck always ran EGTs on the high side when towing. Even with a new VP44 (thanks DAP) they still ran high. Without a trailer I could get then pretty high if I drove like a maniac. When I put the +50 injectors in is when I started to notice the smoke. I noticed the EGTs climbing the first time I pulled the trailer. Obviously I induced a couple of boost leaks when I put the big exhaust on. Before I fixed the boost leaks I could hit 1500 while driving very, very carefully. After boost leak fix the smoke is much less and I can hear the turbo spool faster. Without a trailer EGTs 900 or so 75mph. Pulling a trailer I am now seeing 1350, steady cruise 70 mph. It is MUCH better after the boost fix. I am beginning to think that time and mileage is beginning to take it's toll. My home brew fuel is known to leave more carbon deposits than regular fuel. I'm afraid that tuning the problem away doesn't fix the problem. I am going to try water injection to see what happens. The boost leak fix has made a big difference and I thank you guys for the advice.

Imo, there is still something wrong. 

I just drove 2200 miles with a similar setup except larger injectors. No tuning, no boost fooler, and stuck wastegate. As long as vehicle load was 20% or lower my cruise egt's were 600 degrees give or take. I ran 1920 rpms whether speed limit was 65 or 70 per monitor. 

Even with short hammers up to 90 mph and 30 lbs boost I never saw past 1000 degrees. 

And I have no real visible smoke. 

My old heavily fueled little truck never saw cruising egts like your are experiencing. I might of seen those on Mach 3 bomb runs but never cruising.

The "not 50hp injectors" is an interesting angle. May be realistic.

If you pressurized the system for the boost leak testing and just found those 2 then you need to start digging. 

Something is off. 

I wonder if your pyrometer crapped the bed. I went through 3 on my old truck but they each gave tell tale signs of freaking out randomly.

This was my usual view on my trip.  Don’t mind the fuel pressure.  I’m working on that. 

57912224-949B-468B-84AC-3972D4E6F69A.jpeg.deb8e2afe09c81878850a13de9665332.jpeg

Edited by Ben

6 minutes ago, trreed said:

My thought is that if he is the second owner, maybe the PO flashed a smarty or superchips tune on the ecm and neglected to mention that.  

Maybe. Could explain the smoke if he's farmer footing the throttle. 

I ran a Smarty from the MAD ECM days on. I never saw that hot with RV275's and 20k on the deck of a goose neck. 

That was the beauty of mild setups. Plug n play/small injectors/stock charger. You could pull the world and not have your eyes glued to the pyrometer. 

This was also well over a decade ago.

Now you have me thinking. 

@Jack Owen if the truck is in neutral or park and you hammer the throttle do you blow black smoke? 

The MAD ECM and Smarty would give a good cloud for me on an off idle snap. 

Edited by Ben

Hmmmmmm....some evening testing. I secured my boost gauge next to my pyrometer and made some hard passes, no trailer. My egts hit 1100 before my boost gauge even moved. At 1400 I only had 10 psi. Could my turbo be crapping out???

24 minutes ago, Jack Owen said:

Hmmmmmm....some evening testing. I secured my boost gauge next to my pyrometer and made some hard passes, no trailer. My egts hit 1100 before my boost gauge even moved. At 1400 I only had 10 psi. Could my turbo be crapping out???

Please explain what you did by securing your boost gauge next to your pyro.  Something is wrong with this whole deal.

Just my opinion, your charger is fine, Have you done  a manual man handling of the compressor side? No in and out play some lateral thunk thunk but no contact marks on the housing? 

You have yourself an awesome dumpster fire to figure out. It just unfortunately keeps getting better. 

How bad was the smoke when you did your test passes? 

When you checked for boost leaks did you charge the system with air or did you just do a lookey loo and found some obvious ones. 

Upon further review, your charger did crap the bed or you have a hellacious boost leak still. 

I didn't think HX35's died unless seriously flogged. 

Edited by Ben

• Owner
12 hours ago, Ben said:

I secured my boost gauge next to my pyrometer

I'm also curious of that statement.

As you'll see my boost and fuel pressure sensors are mount on the driver side fender.

iss-pro-fuel-pressure-sender.jpg.8786ebf

Boost gauge tap point right next to the MAP sensor is a 3/4" pipe plug. As you can see I bushed it down to 1/8" NPT for the sensor. The tubing runs all the way back to the sensor on the fender. I did this so I wouldn't damage the sensor working on the engine. 

Image result for mopar1973man pyrometer

As for Pyrometer, it should be in the 4, 5, 6 port of the exhaust manifold. 

Image result for mopar1973man pyrometer

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I wouldn't be buying an ADR to try and fix your egt issues.  You have other issues going on and the ADR won't solve them.   

I have agree with Me on this. You have another issue causing the high temps or temp readings.