• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New VP44 0251 and 0252

So my VP went out towards end of April. I purchased a new pump from thoroughbred with the new electronics.  Immediately following install upon starting the truck I had a 0251 and 0252 DTC. I went back and forth with their tech trying to trouble shoot it. They ended up sending me a second vp. I ruled out all causes on the vehicle end that could cause 0251 and 0252.  I have not shipped both pumps back to them and they want to charge me an additional 650$ for the second pump they sent out because the fuel shop says fuel contamination.  The pumps had a total of less Than 5 minutes of run time total. Both pumps IMMEDIATELY began throwing the DTC’s.  Any advice on how to handle this and if you have had those DTC’s caused by contaminated fuel 

I have an edge JWA however I haven’t tapped a pump in years.  I don’t need the extra wear on my VP and I didn’t want to void my warranty. The codes would come up with the edge completely disconnected as well. Thoroughbred currently is refusing to honor the warranty despite knowing about the 0251 and 0252 immediately following install and are blaming it on fuel contamination 

That’s what I sent them. 

Their response is as follows::”

Yes, that was the information from the code number you gave us.

But it does not change the findings of the fuel shop. both pumps had the same fuel contamination.

I am certain if we check your core the findings will be the same.” 

Despite having a DTC present that’s a critical piece of the puzzle for a Vp44 operating correctly their still refusing to acknowledge it 

Hindsight 20/20. Seems there is less and less reputable places to shop at now.  Any suggestions on how to handle it besides continuing to try to get them to understand that 0252 is a pump problem? 

This is their last email to me “

Ron,

The diesel fuel not only powers the vehicle , it also lubricates the internal components in the pump.

fuel contamination can cause several conditions. the bad fuel in your caused the advanced piston to stick. This throws the pump out of time.

This can cause the pump to throw a p251 and 252 codes.

you guys know way more than I do on the workings of a VP. Is what their saying correct? 

Couple things stand out to me in that last email.

1. How are they proving your fuels contaminated?

2. “This CAN cause to throw a p251 and 252 codes” 

Sounds like they're not positive its the actual cause of the codes either. Not to mention the troubleshooting process for both of these codes mentions NOTHING of contaminated fuel being a possible cause. 

I’d stand your ground and if they refuse to honor a warranty return both pumps for a refund and take your business elsewhere.

252 and 251 have nothing to do with timing piston that is a flat out lie.  P0216 is timing piston stuck.  

p0252 and p0251 are directly related to the fueling solenoid NOT the timing solenoid.

Edited by Me78569

They did send pictures in the email and there does look like there’s particulate in it and in the basin that’s shown in the photos there’s a milky like substance. I drained about 20 gallons from my tank and not a single bit of it looked like what’s in the photos 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

This is why I document all return with photos and serial number off the pump BEFORE sending back. I've been known to mark pumps with my own mark then when it comes time to identify the pump I can pull my secret out too. Too many times I've seen people get robbed by warranty claims that been void because of contaminated fuel claims. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 7:20 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

This is why I document all return with photos and serial number off the pump BEFORE sending back. I've been known to mark pumps with my own mark then when it comes time to identify the pump I can pull my secret out too. Too many times I've seen people get robbed by warranty claims that been void because of contaminated fuel claims. 

Funny you mention this,  I've done that a few times myself especially when I deal with someone new. I'll put a small scratch in a known place or even few in random places and wright date a time on piece of paper set it next to scratch and take a picture. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 2