• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Painted the OEM Wheels black today..

AH64ID

• Staff

Something I might consider doing myself... But I wondering how long the color hold up to offroad debris and mud??? I'd sure hate to have to paint my rims every weekend...:shrug:

The friend I got the idea from has used this style paint on rims for years, its incredibly tough! I spend a lot of time I the woods, so I'll report back, but I am expecting it won't take much upkeep.

Those things would be great mudding around! I would rather have steel wheels anyways. Aluminum upkeep is just insane. I spent 2 hours just going from the first pic to the second, yes that was just ONE damn wheel :ahhh:http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Truck%20Stuff/Ryan's%20Dodge/Exterior/IMG_0913.JPG http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Truck%20Stuff/Ryan's%20Dodge/Exterior/IMG_0912.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

So you didn't scuff or rough up the fake chrome clad surface any????? If not, why not???:shrug:

Mine are the alum, so no fake chrome surface. I didn't, the guys I know that have done it to their wheels haven't done it either with good results. I figure if it doesn't work out I'll take a 3M pad to em and repaint.

All I can say is that I wish I had done this sooner! I used Rustoleum 2000* high temp flat black rattle can paint..

Man that is SCHWEEEET :) Keep us posted on this one - I would love to know how long that paint lasts - and then she's going on my truck. :hyper: I was just looking at $500 rims last night on ebay - didn't look any better

I've done this to my dually wheels. Looks great! I used a wheel specific paint but I've had to redo one simply because I didn't realize that there was a part of the wheel not dry when I first painted and it flaked off, this was all my fault and so far so good, you can (and I have in the past) get a gloss black and clearcoat if a few times and that holds up even better.

• 7 months later...