• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

I originally had to swap these in a week cause was hauling stock trailers for a living,but 6 yrs ago I burned a hole in #6 cyl this time, I tried to do it right.  Fabricated trans mounts using exiting trans mount locations in frame

20180127_091716.jpg

20180129_184038.jpg

20180201_145835.jpg

20180202_084219.jpg

20180210_084643.jpg

20180210_110928.jpg

20180210_111848.jpg

• Like 3

Medium duty Freightliner, Volvo, Kenworth or Mack all used these, it uses a Volvo Master/Slave cyls

Nice, how many speeds is it.

How did you put a hole and piston, got it too hot. How hot is hot and how long you held it there.

It's a 6 speed with ratio's close to the NV5600, but will handle 840 Lbs ft of torque, hence the 8406, fuller made other 6 speeds, 5406, 6406, I got a lot of my info from another guy I think is in N.M  but I think he had 6406, the clutch is only a single disc rated at 630 lbs ft. Went through 3 count 1,2,3 NV5600's before I did this.

Bad injector is best guess, sloppy maintenance on my part, drove to Des Moines thought it ran smoother than ever before, hooked a trailer and 30 miles later hell broke loose. 

@Blueox01  Are those mid duty transmissions synchronized or unsyncronized like the larger ones, Also did you have to do a body lift to fit in your truck or floorboard modifications  

4 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

@Blueox01  Are those mid duty transmissions synchronized or unsyncronized like the larger ones, Also did you have to do a body lift to fit in your truck or floorboard modifications  

This one is synchronized, had to make a doghouse for it to fit

20180715_154130.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

If it can handle 840 ft/lb of torque then how much nv5600 can handle, I'm pretty sure I'm close to 1000 on my truck or so it feels that way

Some say 550-600 lbs/ft   I know I snapped the mainshaft pulling a set of doubles against a headwind in Oklahoma  that was NV5600 #1, I shelled 2 more after that. You put this case next to a NV5600 the dodge 6spd looks like a baby.

Edited by Blueox01

550 ft-lbs is the rated continuous input torque. I’m not sure what the maximum momentary input torque is, but you’re not gonna be using all 1000 ft-lbs all the time, so you’ll probably be below or just at the 550 ft-lb limit. Plus, there’s a factor of safety and an expected life factored into that 550 number, so it’s conservative anyways. 

12 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You probably had the older version with smaller input shaft, 01 and newer I believe is 1 3/8 where before they were 1 1/14 

He has an 01. First year of the 1-3/8” shaft 

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

Around 675 I think? The 4th gens have 660 ft-lbs stock so it’s gotta be around the 675-700 number. G56 has an aluminum case though and can crack under high power. @TFaoro‘s was behind a 900 hp truck and is fine so it’s all about driving smart. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

Nope, only lurking on the forums from time to time:)

Just been too busy reverse engineering CCD bus in our truck, 

Like today I just figured out which digit of VIN number is responsible for ABS code 84 VIN mismatch ):

5th VIN Digit.   Vehicle Line
B - Ram - Wagon/Van, ASCII dec  66
C - Ram Cab Chassis/Ram Pickup 4x2,   ASCII dec 67
F - Ram Cab Chassis/Ram Pickup 4x4,  ASCII dec70
G - Dakota/Sport 4x4,  ASCII dec71
L - Dakota/Sport 4x2,  ASCII dec76
R - Durango 4x2,  ASCII dec 82
S - Durango 4x4,  ASCII dec83

Thanks to my special ABS fooler:)

IMG_20180912_230005874.jpg

Edited by Chris O.
  • Like 2