• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tubro NOT working, HOT EGT's!!! HELP!!!

Ok... I have been having a major issue with not being able to build more than 10 psi boost. I have been trying to fix it to no avail.

So, today was about 85*+ here. Drop down the high way and looked over... 1,200* EGT's!!! I was shocked! All week I had been running 600 - 900* even with these low boost numbers (10 psi max). Boost issues STILL There and now the heat issue too! I turned off my Edge, didn't make a dent. When I sped up a little it would hold or drop 50*. It wouldn't get over 1,200*, unless i was going up hill to the floor (and I pretty much have to do that in 5th to get up a hill with no boost Posted Image)

PLEASE!!! Any suggestions would be great.

So tonight i figured out how to do a turbo pressurized test from Moparman1976.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now hooked the air line to it, first time it blew off... Posted Imageso i lowered the regulator on the compressor. It Barely stayed on but did. Found a leak, or so i thought. The boost elbow is from Edge. I thought it was at the hose clamp, but after taking that clamp off and re-tightening it twice it is good. I did notice that the boost elbow had a small pin size hole in the 90* angle. What is that about? The air was coming from that, and not the hose.

Posted Image

I'm at a total lose. I can't find a leak. I didn't see my wastegate move. and I'm heating up faster than ever and for the life of me don't know why or how to fix it. Please help, I'm at the end of my rope. Posted Image

The boost elbow has that hole to relieve pressure so that it doesn't build as fast. The line tries to build boost but the air gets leaked out into the atmosphere until you build so much boost that it can't leak enough out and it opens the wastegate. This air leak is adjustable and allows you to control when the wastegate opens.Your only leak was from the elbow? So there are no other leaks that could be doing it?Has it always been like that or did something happen and it's been like this ever since?

No it has not always been like this.

In May my Edge took a dive, so I sent it in to get reflashed.

Just this last week got a Raptor 150 install.

This no boost issue happened in June, I parked it until last week or so driving my ranch rig around. I thought i was the dead lift pump but no... I was wrong. The Edge on or off doesn't matter with the egt heat or boost (my max boost is 10 psi). :mad:

Last week however, i didnt have the egt issue. It cruised at 600 - 900*, Now it creeps to 1,250* in 5th! (See video)

Posted Image

Well that's something. 1250F at 50mph and only 10psi hmm. Does it boost to 10psi just as quick as it did when all was fine? There are a lot of parameters on a 24V I am not aware of but I am thinking something is wrong with the turbo. I think the oil going to it might have had something in it or the thing is coked really bad or not even getting oil or something. Does it black smoke really bad? Have you tried sticking an air compressor onto the wastegate hose with no more than 30psi going to it and see if it opens and closes?

• Owner

Welcome idahocountryboy...

Sandpoint geez we should get together and try to fix this problem being your at least in the great state of Idaho :thumbup2:

Thinkin' more about it...

[*]Boost leaks.

[*]Drive pressure leaks. (Exhaust manifold cracked)

[*]Wastegate not closing completely.

[*]Plugged air filter.

Is the boost gauge electric or mechanical?

Are you seeing excessive black smoke? (Typically found with lack of boost)

:lol: Funny you ask about the smoke... NO I can't get it to smoke for nothin!

I did pressurize it to look for a leak... only one i found was the bleed hole on the boost elbow. Unless Im missing something on how to look for one here is a picture of what i did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

During the test, I did not see the wastegate move. :cookoo: but i was busy looking for leaks too..

About the boost. 10 psi boost is MAX, and that was before the egt issue and it took a long time to get that, like about 15 - 30 seconds pinned. So now no, it doesn't get 10 psi, more like 4 or so. it can but it gets so hot so fast.

How do I check about the oil in the turbo? How do I see if it the turbo is shot or not? The intake air trubine moves just fine an free.

Here is how I was testing to read my codes. I did 3x key turn. gave me a 1693, p done, then mileage... Nothing else. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Posted Image

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

More news:

Found a slipped boost boot. This is the drivers side lower innercooler to intake horn.

Posted Image

So then I move that one to here

Posted Image

Still not boost help.

Second News:

Yesterday and today i was running HOT egt's @ 50 mph. at 1,500 rpms (see video). Then tonight I disconnected my Edge Comp. I disconnected the batteries for about 5 mins. Then drove the truck on "stock", EGT's still 1,200*. Then re-connected the Edge Comp back on my truck, disconnected the batteries the same amount of time and drove it. When i reconnected the comp i was running at 300 - 600* Idle and no higher than 800* on a 1/2 drive way. So i took her on the road for 2 miles. down hill first up hill back. Still 850* up hill in 5th pinned (because I can't get boost so it was only at 10 psi STILL Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image) Earlier today coming home from church that climb hit 1,400* Posted Image

I don't know what i did. Maybe it was fixing that boot on the innercooler? But still no boost. But these are the temps I was running last week. So.... just fyi for all those trying to help and still big thanks for any info.

can you spin the shaft on the turbo easily?does the turbo sound loud like it is working it's hinee off?if your hittin' that hot of egt's your fueling hard but the turbo isn't getting the air in there.i am thinking the the bearings are coked up and or the compressor wheel is dragging.intercooler plugged?just helping you remember here...did u do some maintenance and cover the intake horn and or manifold with a rag or something and forget to remove it and it is lodged somewhere?while doing your boost leak test..did you happen to make up a soap and water solution and spray everything down and monitor for bubbles?

• Owner

Here is how I was testing to read my codes. I did 3x key turn. gave me a 1693, p done, then mileage... Nothing else. Anything i'm doing wrong?

Ahhh... A clue... P1693 is a tell me that there is a code present in the ECM computer ans since you do have a 2001 Dodge your going to need to find a code reader and pull the rest of the codes...

• Staff

Low boost and lack of smoke sounds to me like a fueling issue. I agree with the rest of the guys, you need to check for codes and clean the sensors. The fluctuating EGT's lead me to think its a sensor that is failing enough not to run right, but not enough to trip a hard code.I think it would be good to verify the WG operation as well.

Welcome idahocountryboy...

Sandpoint geez we should get together and try to fix this problem being your at least in the great state of Idaho :thumbup2:

Thinkin' more about it...

[*]Boost leaks.

[*]Drive pressure leaks. (Exhaust manifold cracked)

[*]Wastegate not closing completely.

[*]Plugged air filter.

Is the boost gauge electric or mechanical?

Are you seeing excessive black smoke? (Typically found with lack of boost)

It is a machanical boost gauge, I can not get any smoke. YES, we should hook up to work this out. Your New Meadows is an awesome little town. I am almost done with work up here for the season, and am heading down there to do some duck hunting in Caldwell/Boise area. I'll swing by. :thumbup2:

Checked for exhaust leakes none found. air filter is good.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Pull out and clean the intake air temperature sensor "IAT" and the manifold aipr pressure sensor "MAP". If they give bad readings it will not let the pump fuel enough to get any boost built up and that will also result in low or no smoke.

I planned on doing that last night, but the MAP sensor is a 1 1/4" drive and not a 1 3/16" So i have to go get a deep socket. The IAT sensor is just behind (closer to the cab) the MAP sensor correct?

Low boost and lack of smoke sounds to me like a fueling issue.

I agree with the rest of the guys, you need to check for codes and clean the sensors. The fluctuating EGT's lead me to think its a sensor that is failing enough not to run right, but not enough to trip a hard code.

I will let you know about the code hopefully today... Have alot of work going but hopefully will make it to town before 7. Thanks guys.

I think it would be good to verify the WG operation as well.

• Owner

It is a machanical boost gauge, I can not get any smoke. YES, we should hook up to work this out. Your New Meadows is an awesome little town. I am almost done with work up here for the season, and am heading down there to do some duck hunting in Caldwell/Boise area. I'll swing by. :thumbup2:

Checked for exhaust leakes none found. air filter is good.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

I planned on doing that last night, but the MAP sensor is a 1 1/4" drive and not a 1 3/16" So i have to go get a deep socket. The IAT sensor is just behind (closer to the cab) the MAP sensor correct?

The thing that still got me scratching my head...

#1 If you getting hot EGT's typically the exhaust somke is rather black and nasty fron excessive fuel lack of boost. But you got no smoke...

#2 There is a error code present so that needs to be looked at it will give a clue to this problem maybe? Your going to need a scan tool to get it.

As for cleaning sensors typically people without exhaust brakes never have a issue with this. It the ones with exhaust brakes that coat the sensors in a oily substance...

But here is a pic of location...

Posted Image

• Owner

If it is a sensor out of whack it could be commanding some very retarded timing, which would run the EGT's thru the roof...

That's my thought since he's got the typically P1693 code so there is more there... It might be a bad sensor or something... :shrug:

On a side note, it is possible the EGT gauge is malfunctioning, and not a true symptom?

That's also possible but I've got a feeling it going to be a sensor or such... (Logical guess.)

I'm just going to start out by saying :mad::banghead::mad::banghead::mad::banghead::mad::banghead:...Ok now that that is out of the way... My codes:P 0216 (it said "timing control circuit)P 0237 ("turbo boost senor - A low) So i hear that the 0216 code is the death code for the VP pump :cry:I have no idea how to deal with the 0237So that would make sense (to me) why I can't get smoke, and if i'm not fueling my injectors enough they will just not build the boost. Time being off as well. My questions are this .... Is it ok to drive it to work until it is dead or not? Even though i'm given my vp pump 17 psi .... is it still going to die? Thanks for you help guys.

• Staff

I am no where near a VP44ologist, however I think your deduction of a dying VP is correct. Timing will have a HUGE effect on EGT's. I run my programmer on timing only and drop my EGT's close to 200* or more. On stock timing 10psi of boost and lugging (low fuel) could easily net me 1200*, so I can see it happening based on that code. I would suspect the boost code is due to the lack of fuel, the ECM thinks their should be more boost than there is. I would bet if you fix the timing/fueling issue the boost code goes away. I am not sure I would drive it with timing out of whack, too advanced can cause issues, as can too retarded. Best be safe if you can swing it.P0216; Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure; High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possiblewrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.doesn't tell you much, especially if you're getting 17psi.