• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

where do you buy your fuel

i am noticing more place are blending #2. loves is between 5%-20% bio. Flying J doesn't list, but my mileage is usually lower. i avoid the corner stores because they are as much as .20 higher and who knows how long that fuel as been there. what are your opinions?

From what I can tell it ranks like this from worst to best. Casey's general store (yes I found one with diesel)Walmart (probably same as casey's)Break Time/MFAFlying J's/Love's/ConocoShellPhillips 66Based on personal experiences.As for stations with blended, if I were *you*, I would get the blended stuff. Biodiesel has more lube than anything. It does detract mileage a little, but I would be curious to find out how much worse it is when you run it. I run B20 every now and then and don't notice too big of loss. B2 or B5 sounds like the perfect mixture, as B20 is way overkill.

From what I can tell it ranks like this from worst to best. Casey's general store (yes I found one with diesel) Walmart (probably same as casey's) Break Time/MFA Flying J's/Love's/Conoco Shell Phillips 66 Based on personal experiences. As for stations with blended, if I were *you*, I would get the blended stuff. Biodiesel has more lube than anything. It does detract mileage a little, but I would be curious to find out how much worse it is when you run it. I run B20 every now and then and don't notice too big of loss. B2 or B5 sounds like the perfect mixture, as B20 is way overkill.

walmart and sam's(and you have to have a sam's card) seem to be high around here. i think conoco and phillips 66 are the same thing. i know the refinery in Ponca City, OK is conoco/phillips. shell's are typically higher, although the one's that are not are hole in the walls. one love's station sells B20(I-40 and Morgan RD) and the other is marked B5(I-35 and NW122nd). the b20 hurt my mileage enough for me not to go back(and it was only a penny cheaper than pilot or TA). the best fuel for $ was the sinclair truck stop in tulsa(I-44 and 166th E. AVE), always got the most miles. straight #2 at the same price as quicktrip and flying j. just my xp here in the great state of OK

• Owner

Here in Idaho I try to stick with...

Locally - Chevron

Boise ID/Ontario OR - Fred Meyers, Maverik, Flying J, Loves

Lewiston ID - Flying J or Chevron

Now with my local fuel station I know he stays after the pump filters and has a good turn over rate for diesel fuel...

There is a few Mom & Pop places around I won't buy fuel there being the pumps are in the weather, old mechanical price wheels, even the tank at one place is about ground and in the weather. The other issue I got I watch the tank vents... Like one place has no weather heads on the vents and always seems to have complaints of water in the fuel come winter time...:rolleyes:

Forgot about conoco and phillips 66 being the same :banghead: The phillips 66 in town is what gets me all my numbers though. Forgot about BP, they have some good stuff too. The B20 here is 20 cents more than regular, no clue why. I think turnover has a lot to do with it. That phillips 66 is a very very busy place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I guess I am lucky, I have a large oil company about 3 miles down the road. They sell fuel oil and burner service as their main line. They also have truck diesel pumps in the back and gasoline pumps. No attendant, all credit card, and no one hardly ever there, never waited in a line. The fuel is Citgo brand. They most likely put it in for fueling their own fleet?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty particular where I get my fuel more for general quality of it, ie water amounts and quality of the storage tanks. In the Tulsa area, I use QuikTrip, Murphy, or the truck stops. Out of town I almost exclusively use truck stops because they tend to go through large quantities and will be fresher (just my opinion.) Shell stations in the Tulsa area are dives and Phillips stations are .15/gallon or more higher. At work we fill up just wherever and get it from places I wouldn't even think about putting in my own truck. They are all Fords and they are all the time replacing injectors and and having constant fuel related problems.

i have only seen bio at a couple of places here on the east coast. Might have been more but i have not been looking for it. I have not had any problems(:pray: knock on wood) with fuel from folrida to new jersey. ususally buy at a truck stop if possible.

• 9 months later...

Here in Mexico we only have one brand (PEMEX- Mexican Petroleum) it's a goverment owned refinery, and i'm pretty sure that the diesel that i'm using it's only diesel (maybe something else to make more volume of it, and i dont know what is it), but my truck runs fine, it's not ULSD, because my cousin has a 09 f350 power stroke (i dont know what motor is, it has double turbo) and he always fill up the tank at el paso, tx, because the dealership guy told him that he would damage his motor if he uses mexican diesel.

Most stations have fuel from what is known as the 'Spot Market" that most all refineries put product in. The fuel is the stock blend that meets fed and state requirements. When a depot has an order from a company, like Shell, Citgo, Chevron, a mom and pop station, and such, they are told the blends requirements for any additives needed to make their order. It's blended, loaded on the truck and shipped to the dealership. So if your looking for a specific companies fuel, your at a loss. It could be a mix of every companies refineries mix into one tank. But take bp in Texas, last I heard, they can't sell their fuel in the state, but allowed to ship all to the spot market, then if another company wants to bring it back in, it's ok ? Even their own Amoco Stations. (i retired from bp).I've learned to look for straight fuel, Bio added, price, if it's a good turn over at the station, if the station is known for cleaning the tanks when recommended, and if the nozzles are the large or small ones. This is the chance of it being filtered before going into your tank for the last time. I've larger ones are known for not being filtered, and I haven't seen a filter attached.In my area, there is one Shell station that has the filters, has the diesel tanks serviced regularly, the price is comparable to the others, have a program with Krogers for cheaper fuel prices, and is used my many with a great turn over in fuel.If not, I'd travel further to get to Loves and Pilot. I have not seen indications if they have Bio in their fuels. Sometimes its hell living in the country verses city.

• 10 months later...

i am noticing more place are blending #2. loves is between 5%-20% bio. Flying J doesn't list, but my mileage is usually lower. i avoid the corner stores because they are as much as .20 higher and who knows how long that fuel as been there. what are your opinions?

i got my last tank at walmart in greeneville tn it say 5-8 percent bio diesel. price with the walmart card was $3.31 i had 569 miles and put 28.345 gallons back in for a 20.07 mpg. this tank i put 2 cycle in for the first time and see what that does for mileage

For both work and personal I use tier 1 and truck stops only, except in emergencies. I avoid mom & pop gas stops unless I am really in BFE. Chevron, Conoco, Shell, Exxon, Phillips, Flying J, Pilot, etc.