• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying a rolled over truck.

difference is you two know the history of your engine and all those miles.    

@dripley hit the nail on the head, the things you did maintence wise to hit those numbers may not have been done.   how you drove might be different, did he abuse the truck?  ( which I find a funny question to ask on a truck that was rolled)    

I would not buy a 300,000 mile motor and expect it to be in good shape without maintence history showing the thing was taken care of. it is easy to ruin even a mighty cummins in under 100,000 miles  

only point is If you are taking someone elses vehicle and parting it for money you better expect the worst.  

25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

@dripley hit the nail on the head, the things you did maintence wise to hit those numbers may not have been done.   how you drove might be different, did he abuse the truck?  ( which I find a funny question to ask on a truck that was rolled)    

I would not buy a 300,000 mile motor and expect it to be in good shape without maintence history showing the thing was taken care of. it is easy to ruin even a mighty cummins in under 100,000 miles  

only point is If you are taking someone elses vehicle and parting it for money you better expect the worst.  

There are a chit load of wrecked and rolled trucks out there still under warranty, accidents don't relate to maintenance, looks like the truck was used for business, business owners usually take care of maintenance items. Don't take much time to take a truck apart, it's putting back together right that take time. 3k profit / 80hrs labor that's almost 40hr, that's not a bad wage to me anyway, don't think I'd have 80hr into it though.

24 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir...

o0pbw6.jpg

Once the odometer goes to 999,999 it stays...

20ggyva.jpg

Wow that suck's thought it would be neat to have an 18yr old truck w/6 0's on odometer!

I thought dealer's could set mileage on the Odom's, might be wrong

Edited by Blueox01

22 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Wow that suck's thought it would be neat to have an 18yr old truck w/6 0's on odometer!

I thought dealer's could set mileage on the Odom's, might be wrong

Me I would take the 9's or the o's and be just as happy. Whats a few 0 s or 9 s as long as they are consecutive.

56 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

I hear "rebuilt" I see 18yr old kid slapping in bearings, rings, head gasket and painting the block.  I bought My 01 w/68k pulled weight until the 53 block cracked at 453k, got new block from Freightliner, had crank checked, head done, since it was already off , went another 400k, till I burned a hole in #6, Crank is still standard, #6 sleeved, Head needed a few valve guides and a few valves replaced, surfaced. Can turn the crank by hand after all the mains torqued.Hey but who's know might start knocking at start up or leak like a sieve going down the road. But hey it's looks purdy. I guess to each his own.

main bearing oil clearence.jpg

block on stand (23).jpg

block on stand (22).jpg

that is one purdy motor. You sure some kid did not build that with some good paint.???

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

Me I would take the 9's or the o's and be just as happy. Whats a few 0 s or 9 s as long as they are consecutive.

that is one purdy motor. You sure some kid did not build that with some good paint.???

I thought the dealer's could set miles, I.E. the dash cluster goes bad at xxxxx miles New dash cluster would need to be set at the same xxxxx miles or vehicle would be TMU (True miles unknown), makes a big diff on a trade in.

1 minute ago, Blueox01 said:

I thought the dealer's could set miles, I.E. the dash cluster goes bad at xxxxx miles New dash cluster would need to be set at the same xxxxx miles or vehicle would be TMU (True miles unknown), makes a big diff on a trade in.

I see what you are saying. I have a cluster at home that came off a wrecked I bought 9 years ago. That truck had a 133k on it. If I put it in my truck now as I did then it shows 133k on the odo. Makes you not want to believe the odo on any of them. Pretty sure the ECM holds the true mileage, but when you send an ECM off for rebuild they ask for the mileage which I assume is to program the rebuilt one to show the true mileage. Lots a trust going on on that one. 

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I see what you are saying. I have a cluster at home that came off a wrecked I bought 9 years ago. That truck had a 133k on it. If I put it in my truck now as I did then it shows 133k on the odo. Makes you not want to believe the odo on any of them. Pretty sure the ECM holds the true mileage, but when you send an ECM off for rebuild they ask for the mileage which I assume is to program the rebuilt one to show the true mileage. Lots a trust going on on that one. 

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Yea that's the reason behind it. With the old rolling Odom's they would turn over back to all 0's. With today's you put in a lower mileage one and go to trade, someone, somewhere did any maintenance or traded once already it's logged it a computer, Say you have oil changed at 213K  3 yrs ago,you go to trade and Odom shows 133k , Then it's TMU  I suppose you get to 999999 it makes little difference other than you tracking maint intervals.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The guy has maintenance records on it. 

It worry’s me how easy it is to throw a lower mileage odometer in and get away with it. But either way if properly maintained and driven daily it’s going to last a while. 

I was to say a bit surprised when I put that cluster and it read the donors truck mileage and not mine. At the time mine had 217k on it and would have been pretty easy to have left it there and reaped a lower mileage truck. But thats not me. I am sure it is someone elses MO though. Not sure how many folks know how easy that is to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It worry’s me how easy it is to throw a lower mileage odometer in and get away with it. But either way if properly maintained and driven daily it’s going to last a while. 

As long as the title doesn't show higher miles on it I wouldn't worry.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

I was to say a bit surprised when I put that cluster and it read the donors truck mileage and not mine. At the time mine had 217k on it and would have been pretty easy to have left it there and reaped a lower mileage truck. But thats not me. I am sure it is someone elses MO though. Not sure how many folks know how easy that is to do.

Well you know anything you get done the miles are logged, even tires changed get logged.

Here in PA at least the miles are logged on every inspection report. So if you get inspected this year with 200k and come back next year with 120k there would be some explaining to do. That is if anybody at DOT stayed awake long enough to catch it.

• Haha 2

Ok, off subject but when I turn key to on/not running my Oil pressure gauge goes to 40psi, one lead has .5 volts , one has ground continuity, the other has 0V  I admit I'm not the sharpest pencil when it comes to electrical issues. Whey Keyed to start it goes to 0 again, That right? Been so long since this truck has run, can't remember.

58 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I bet you look at that truck with $'s in hand you won't pay $4500  Worst he can say to an offer is say NO. But you'll get his bottom dollar, you can drive and get lunch and always come back with more $'s

Edited by Blueox01

Just now, Blueox01 said:

Ya, you already bought one spare truck anyway.

I’m always lookin for an extra $ or two lol. I work 10 hrs a day not including my personal work after hrs removing parts working on my truck etc. Still need some extra cash for upgrades and maintenance. This weekend I’ll be pulling the axles off my current parts truck and getting them prepped to install in my truck. I’ll be inspecting the insides and filling with fresh gear oil, cleaning and painting the housings, new drums and shoes. New pads and rotors if needed. I’m really excited about his project. I think 3:54s and a six speed will be the bees knees. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m always lookin for an extra $ or two lol. I work 10 hrs a day not including my personal work after hrs removing parts working on my truck etc. Still need some extra cash for upgrades and maintenance. This weekend I’ll be pulling the axles off my current parts truck and getting them prepped to install in my truck. I’ll be inspecting the insides and filling with fresh gear oil, cleaning and painting the housings, new drums and shoes. New pads and rotors if needed. I’m really excited about his project. I think 3:54s and a six speed will be the bees knees. 

Ya, I just seen you have 4:10's, don't know what Your will run out too, I ONLY did this once pulling a small trailer following a big truck across US 40 in CO but my truck ran out just over triple digits.