• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Calling Commercial diesel mechanics(air line questions)

pepsi71ocean

So I've been wring in my PacBrake into my dodge and i want to install a dryer into the system. But I'm have problems with designing and then where to buy the parts to do this. Does NAPA carry this stuff, or where do you guys go to pick up air line fittings and hose for trucks?

The set up that Pacbrake has may work great in Arizona, but up here in NJ and PA I don't need frozen lines on an exhaust brake.

"you guys go to pick up air line fittings and hose for trucks?"

locally I have place that fixes hydraulic lines, good supply of fittings.  

broke down on road once in unfamiliar territory Google. The city I was in and the term hose and air fittings everything from Napa to forklift places to vacuum line places everything else shows up.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 6:42 PM, NIsaacs said:

Where did you mount the air compressor? My Ford has air/Pac brake but it is all under the hood, so no worries. My Dodges are both vacuum, they are fine too. It can get cold here where I live:)

The location that the pac compressor fits is in the passenger battery tray, and there is a bracket that hangs the compressor off inbetween. the main issue is that the location for the intake, the intake filter, solenoid etc is on the compressor and IMO isn't a good space for all of it.

I wish i could have found a vacuum actuated version. I would have made it allot easier to install and play with I believe.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

If everything (including the tank) is mounted under the hood then I would think the heat itself would prevent moisture builtup.  But that said, you can find mini dryers for air compressors you use in your garage.  Homedepot stuff...  Why wouldnt those work?  Does it have to be "commercial"?  You're not running brakes off these lines.

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

If everything (including the tank) is mounted under the hood then I would think the heat itself would prevent moisture builtup.  But that said, you can find mini dryers for air compressors you use in your garage.  Homedepot stuff...  Why wouldnt those work?  Does it have to be "commercial"?  You're not running brakes off these lines.

The concern I have is that the Tank placement is under the passenger side on the frame rail. And Up here I'd rather not run water through my pacbrake, solenoids, and tank and possibly other things like tires etc. Its just peace of mind.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Like 1

I have a on board air just incase and to air up tires/air bags. I mounted it where spear tire used to be, with bigger exhaust, space is useless anyway. Then I ran 1/4 line to front (under hood) with a quick release like on air tools and a ball valve just before. Compressor is plumbed to my rear bumper as air tank. As for air brake, I have a BD and been happy with it. It's the one that bolts up to the turbo with 5 bolts. It's good and bad, part of reason I had a turbo built and didn't just buy one as I wouldn't be able to use the brake with a bigger turbo. 

Not sure what was holding my old hitch on but few rusted bolts :wow:

20180130_175202.jpg.b19014693fdd4b8a4bc98f2bff04e4cb.jpg20180217_174752.jpg.c16c4f8dbfcc13d3983698e2776d4f7a.jpg

So I'm up here at the truck and I wanted to shoot some photos to show what I'm dealing with.  You can see in the photo the baby silver nipple that is too screw into the filter. KIMG1083.JPG.b85c6f8d56d76aba9902aaa2346cdf13.JPG

KIMG1081.JPG.a23bad46c95ad528cc919f9c88f9a6e2.JPG

I feel sad for this compressor because it really is struggling to pull that air thought that. So I went to Napa and picked up some larger fittings as you can see are the same size. 

KIMG1086.JPG.a73329f6da3b337ac0b328af1f1a167c.JPG

KIMG1085.JPG.9475bead5b50b88a47c5f58e8b828638.JPG

This last photo shows the diameter I'm dealing with. 

I have my firewall opened up and I plan to put the dryer here.

1545961269615447660794.jpg.83ebd9bd51c4960fa6606870f87c975c.jpg

Even the smaller check valve has a larger hole then that baby valve. Really has me stumped.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:13 AM, IBMobile said:

I have a Parker store down the road from me.  I use them for all my fittings.  See if there is one near you.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/products  

Pepsi, there's a Parker store on Penn Ave. in Sinky beside Advance Auto, the one that used to be Carquest. They would probably have what you need.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Pepsi, there's a Parker store on Penn Ave. in Sinky beside Advance Auto, the one that used to be Carquest. They would probably have what you need.

Dam when I head back up there this weekend I'll have to check them out. Do you live locally?