• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0336 / ECM trouble beyond standard troubleshooting

• Staff

I know what you mean.... just having someone around to hand you tools while under the truck goes a long way even though it small things like that.

As long as they don't talk your ears off.... like when Dripley eats too much chicken, Danged Cannibal, he gets high on that stuff.

• Haha 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, int3man said:

Hi What Year is your Rig?  My 2001 has a Blank out plug where that sensor mounts behind the Starter.

Thanks

Michael

His is the early series which has both the cam and crank sensor. You in the late series like myself where the cam sensor was dropped and the crank sensor was moved to the cam sensor location. Sounds confusing. 

98.5 to 99 had a single tooth tone wheel on the cam. Then the actual tone wheel like you see on the crank for tach signal. 

98.5-00camgear.jpg.6afc81d9de1702564116f

00 to 02 had ditch the single tooth cam gear and then replace the gear with a multi-tooth and the sensor location was moved inward on the cam gear. The crank tone wheel was ditch completely. Now the ECM wiring for the crank sensor is the same pin on the ECM as the late series cam sensor. All years used the pin 17 on the ECM for tach signal. Pin 9 was the early Cam sensor which was dropped and no longer used. 

0102_camgear.jpg.2dd8d0bbb2d6a11d9586d75

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Alterego said:

I wasnt aware it was a bolt on ring until @mopar1973man brought it up. But with the logic of the ECM and a signal that doesn't agree with the other inputs. I'm confident that once I drop the pan I will either find pieces of the ring in the bottom or the small removable section sitting there. I will post pics and updates once I get into the bottom end.

Your perseverance in tracking down the correct solution without getting sidetracked is nothing short of amazing!  Excellent troubleshooting!  And thank you for the clarity in explaining your diagnostic steps along the way.

- John

• Like 1

@int3man mine is a 98 3500 4x4. 

@Tractormanthanks for the comment. I'm starting a write up today that has the whole problem and procedure detailed. I learned alot with this issue. As a really good friend of mine who is one here said knowledge is power. If sharing can save someone the headache then it's well worth it. Plus I dont give up, I'm the type that will fight it till i get it fixed. 

@Mopar1973Man hit me up when you get a chance. 

Thanks to everyone for there input. You guys are the best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1