• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just Installed Quad, now throwing P1693

TheGreatWhite

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

if you have ever loaded the s03 on the truck the truck still has high idle enabled, regardless of if you remove the tune or not.   The s03 leaves high idle enabled no matter what.

When you say loaded the so3, does it rewrite a current software on ECM? I have latest Flash on my truck and if I ever get a hold of smarty and do whatever I need to do to enable high idle, does it rewrite that software or just adds to it. I was always confused by that.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm still cornfused :shifty:

You and me both... and I know everything that was mentioned in this thread.  LOL

Smarty:  If at any point your ride has been flashed with a Smarty it updates your ECM with a stock flash that has high idle, and 3 cylinder high idle enabled.  There are intake air temp, and coolant temperature requirements for either to kick off automatically.

Quad:  Has settings for high idle delay.  This feature works independently (the ECM does not need the high idle options mentioned above to operate).  You can set the delay for 30 seconds.  30 seconds after you start the engine the Quad will kick the idle up to 1100 - 1200 RPM.  In addition after the engine is up to temp you can also turn the power level down to 0 and it will once again kick off the high idle.  That can be handy for air conditioner operation in the summer while parked.  Quad does not have 3 cylinder high idle capabilities. 

The confusion:  If an ECM has 3 cylinder high idle enabled, and you have the Quad high idle enabled it may act wonky if both try to operate in high idle mode.  Personally I have never had an issue with that other than it doesn't idle down when I expect (may take a couple throttle blips to get both systems out of their respective high idle states)

Clear as mud?  I can can always give it another stir... or two.  

• Haha 1

@trreed @Shainer @Me78569  I understand that Smarty add something in ECM software to enable high idle,  what I don't understand as if it completely reprograms ECM or just adds on top of original software. 

Reason I'm wondering is my ECM was flashed at one point with latest Dodge software starting with J something code. And I just don't know if that particular software goes away and is replaced with smarty software or smary just adds a part of code to software that's already in my ECM

Is anyone rornfused with what I'm trying to say.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@trreed @Shainer @Me78569  I understand that Smarty add something in ECM software to enable high idle,  what I don't understand as if it completely reprograms ECM or just adds on top of original software. 

Reason I'm wondering is my ECM was flashed at one point with latest Dodge software starting with J something code. And I just don't know if that particular software goes away and is replaced with smarty software or smary just adds a part of code to software that's already in my ECM

Is anyone rornfused with what I'm trying to say.

Gotcha.  So this is what is occurring.  These ECM "updates" are the equivalent of installing, or re-installing an operating system on your computer.  High idle is a feature within that operating system.  If a factory "update" is applied to the ECM the high idle feature is disabled as it is not enabled by default.  The Dodge tech would have to re-enable those features after the update.  So in summary, Smarty is not adding anything to the operating system.  It only enables the existing features that are otherwise disabled by default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1