• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

cold running issue

Hi Guys/Gals,Im working on a 2001 dodge cummings 3/4 4*4. auto. The truck starts great will idle but if you drive before its at operating temp it just tops out at 1100-1200 rpms smokes black/ blue then holding full thottle will slowly start picking up rpms then all of a sudden around 3000 rpms just runs great like a champ wont happen again untill a cold start. no codes. doesnt burn oil/coolant. fuel psi great. I have checked everything I can think of. any ideas? Thanks a bunch.

I have checked the boost its good. the map sensor was reading .895 so i changed it out. cleaned iat it looks good, temps are all inline. now i am reciving a code po216 which is timeing, sucks i think the pump(vp44) is going out. the funny thing is its been doing this for three years now. so im going to check the phyical timing see if its just gears or key way. but doesnt look good. when it warms up the code is gone. so the pump? the fuel pressure is good, in fact it has a fass pump. its running 18 -20psi. it runs so good when it warms up??? this is different havent seen this before.

It was 90 degrees outside today, still does it, aslong as the engine temp is cold it will occur. Basicly if the engine has not been started or has sat for 4 or 5 hours. Now the colder the morning the longer it will Blue smoke and bog down. The dealer has checked timing and run diag. on it, they are not finding anything abnormal for some reason. We just recently cleaned and checked the IAT and Map. Only issue we could find is that the Map sensor was reading above a .8 base signal. The spec is .42 to .59 and said to replace if not within these peramators. We also check the supply voltage and ground just to make sure. We went ahead and replaced the Map based on the information we had and found that the problem still occurs. However this time when we check for codes we had a PO216 for pump timing. We went ahead a check it again and have not found any issues with the timing. The flow chart for the code says If there are no other code showing to check for pump timing, lift pump pressure, and if these all check out to replace the vp44. however if can't quite believe its the pump because once it does warm up it will run great no problems pulling or cruising. This has been on going for over 3 years and has now gotten anyworse or better.

• 1 month later...