• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

firewood splitting...

• Owner

do you own a pottery kiln or somethin, ive never really seen a use for that much wood before, the investment for central heat mght be a little steep at first but it will pay for itself in the lack of chiropractor bills.

No pottery kiln... That is only half of my winter firewood... I burn right around 7-9 cords a season. The last pic of the wood shed that holds 12 cords to the last post or 15 cords at the roofs edge... Last winter I used 8 cords... The ATV has my 20 ton splitter hooked the the back so I got to do is back it into place and get busy... The pile now is a total of about 8 hours of work and 1 1/2 tanks of fuel on the splitter... Doing the math on the winter heating... It cost me about $35-40 a cord to get so say $40 times 8 equals $320 bucks for the whole winter... One year shortly after my Dad's death I took a short cut and used a electric heater in the guest house and it was right around $200 a month in electric to heat. :spend: (Now figure a main house at double square footage and nightly low at 0*F for a low) So wood is much cheaper in the long run... Neighbor is heating with propane at $2.49 and hes got to reload the tank twice a winter... Ekkk! :stuned: Central what??? :lmao2::lmao:

this is cool i never thought i would be learning basic lumberjack measurments on the diesel site, but any new knowledge is good knowledge.:thumbup2:

I had no clue either. A pile of wood is a pile of wood :lmao: Just go by truckloads lol.

• Owner

Here is another one... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1523&d=1281495597 The log pile to tthe right is 4 foot lengths and that pile is 1 cord exactly... It measured 8 x 8 x 2 = 128 cubic feet on the trailer...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzDIK6oUwQ

Second half shows the wood on the trailer... My other favorite pics... Any call a Cummins Skidder??? :lmao2::lmao:post-2-13869816796_thumb.jpg Another great haul on a green spring day... (Nice and Green!) :thumbup2:post-2-138698167953_thumb.jpg

• Owner

this is cool i never thought i would be learning basic lumberjack measurments on the diesel site, but any new knowledge is good knowledge.:thumbup2:

Wood hauling out here is a very common business... I got a guy on the local sherriff's dept that is trying to hook up on a 50 cord wood sale that is $350 bucks a cord but it got to be split and hauled to Coeur D'Alene, ID from Riggins, ID... Hmmm... It might be worth it... :shrug:

• Staff

Wood hauling out here is a very common business... I got a guy on the local sherriff's dept that is trying to hook up on a 50 cord wood sale that is $350 bucks a cord but it got to be split and hauled to Coeur D'Alene, ID from Riggins, ID... Hmmm... It might be worth it... :shrug:

Need a hired driver? That would be fun!

$350 a cord!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stuned: That is CRAZY high! Here you are lucky to get $100 a cord for oak or hickory already split. For $350 a cord, I can heat cheaper with propane and a heat pump. I pretty much have an unlimited supply of hardword for firewood so I cut and split it myself and get it for free.

I love the pictures of your place, it is more then beautiful. I do envy that.When I was a kid we used lots of firewood. We had Orange wood, and no hydraulic splitter. We used wedges, and sledge hammers. If you have never used Orange wood then you can't imagine how long it burns, and how much heat it makesWe only had a electric stove in our old place, and a water heater.Splitting Dried Orange wood in the summer is hard to belive but the wood sparks when you try to split it. Hard Hard Super Hard wood

• Owner

Well thats what its all about... Yeah I'm here most times out of ten helping people with there truck problems... But I love showing everyone I'm human and do other thing other than working on engines...

I love the pictures of your place, it is more then beautiful. I do envy that.

Thank you... But there is a huge price to pay to have a place like this you got to give up all the convenance of the big city life...

The wife and I gave up city life 6 years ago when we moved out of California!Never! again! There is nothing worse then city life. I had to work 26 years in the same job, go to the hospital and almost die, and now have health problems!Now give me one good reason to live in the city!High taxes! Noise! crime! Crappy neighbors! and the list goes on and on.I love country, just can't afford a place as beautiful as where you are.Well at least in Oklahoma we get to carry our guns and no one bothers us.I am CCW and Proud of It!