• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

21 hours ago, dripley said:

Get a bigger easy out or just take it off. 

Yup, next time I’m in town that’s what I’ll be getting

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

Its not a race car, dont be trying an indy 500 lol... 

Taking it off will give you more room to work possibly, and you dont won't to leave it just hanging there... 

Plus if your upgrading, your gonna take it off anyway. It's not hard or time consuming to do it... 

Heck take it off clean it up. Paint it, make it look nice. 

Yeah, true. I won’t be upgrading the bar for a while though. So some have mentioned that you want to upgrade your front end before adding aftermarket wheels and tires, is this a part that needs to be upgraded or can I just paint it and upgrade other stuff in order for it to be safe to add aftermarket wheels and tires?

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

I would dril it out with a left handed drill bit, then an appropriate sized "easy out" if that doesn't work add heat to the "surrounding" area, not the bolt and try easy out after adding heat. If that doesn't work, put a washer over the bolten a nut appropriately sized, weld nut to stub then try and remove, try heat if still difficult. Last resort progressively drill out bolt then remove chunks as u go. After any of these steps always chase the threads, or re tap them. 

Sounds good man! I’ll let you know how it goes 

Edited by Kane4sythe

Upgrading front end refers to tie rod ends and track bar, possibly ball joints if they are loose. This is a really easy job, I think if you grabbed a ratchet and some sockets and went out there and got under the truck, youd see how easy this task is and just get it done. There is no need in upgrading to an aftermarket sway bar, unless your offroading and have the rest of the suspension to go with it.

7 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Upgrading front end refers to tie rod ends and track bar, possibly ball joints if they are loose. This is a really easy job, I think if you grabbed a ratchet and some sockets and went out there and got under the truck, youd see how easy this task is and just get it done. There is no need in upgrading to an aftermarket sway bar, unless your offroading and have the rest of the suspension to go with it.

Okay, I’ll have to do some investigating. It had been explained to me 999 times but I’m still not 100% positive on how to be sure if my ball joints are loose. Maybe I can find a good YouTube video. So if I have strong tie rods and a strong track bar, am I safe to run as big of wheels and tires as I want? Of course no monster truck, no bigger than 24s and 37 inch tires. Will these need to be taken care of in both front and rear end or is the front the main concern? I just don’t want to do something stupid like have some nece wheels, then end up breaking something and not having the money to fix it bc I just bought expensive wheels and tires.

Please dont do 24" rims lol... that's just silly. I'm telling ya, DOR is the place for all your steering or suspension needs. No you dont need to upgrade the sway bar, just the links/bushings etc on the sway bars. 

Aside from that, upgrade your entire steering setup and track bar and your golden. They have your steering setup, steering box brace, track bar, and more! 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Please dont do 24" rims lol... that's just silly. I'm telling ya, DOR is the place for all your steering or suspension needs. No you dont need to upgrade the sway bar, just the links/bushings etc on the sway bars. 

Aside from that, upgrade your entire steering setup and track bar and your golden. They have your steering setup, steering box brace, track bar, and more! 

Hey a kid can have dreams cant he? ? What do you like Stanley, the practical side or the mall crawler side? So let me get a little list here: I need a good track bar, and btw, when they say adjustable track bar, what exactly does this mean?, alright so good links/bushings, and entire steering set up. So then what exactly needs to be upgraded with the steering set up? Can the rear end just be fine as it is or does that need something done to it too?

54 minutes ago, Kane4sythe said:

Hey a kid can have dreams cant he? ? What do you like Stanley, the practical side or the mall crawler side? So let me get a little list here: I need a good track bar, and btw, when they say adjustable track bar, what exactly does this mean?, alright so good links/bushings, and entire steering set up. So then what exactly needs to be upgraded with the steering set up? Can the rear end just be fine as it is or does that need something done to it too?

Nothing wrong with dreams and having what want but if your funds are limited this will be a major undertaking. You could drop a couple grand just on the parts before you buy the big wheels and tires.

Not to mention if you are running on 3:55 gears they are not going to like those big tires. On the flip side the gas station going love you because you will be a very regular customer.

Edited by dripley

@Kane4sythe have you went to the DOR site yet? This is what you want right here. Comes with all new hardware and steering components. 

image.png.145144cbf93ff63c6e045f663d06da72.png

Next you will need 

image.png.f48833b9145e0eb0e11baafdd02c5cbb.png

Then this

image.png.026e1ae45b814d086f68d536daba5af3.png

Obviously check your ball joints, control arms etc..... 

Go to the site and and make a wish list, look at what they have. 

I dont work for these guys, or get anything from them I just have experience with there product, customer support! And they are both great! Their stuff is the BEST around... 

13 hours ago, dripley said:

funds are limited this will be a major undertaking. You could drop a couple grand just on the parts before you buy the big wheels and tires.

Oh yeah of course. Trust me, I’m not planning on making this happen overnight. I just rant to get straight what needs to be done with my truck, so with the extra money that I do have I can slowly start buying bits and pieces. I want to have all of the mechanics solid, before I do anything such as big wheels and tires and after market performance stuff. My first priority is getting all the mechanics durable, then getting a new paint job and nice wheels and tires, then focusing on the speed and performance factor. I don’t want to have 6k of wheels and tires, and not be able to drive the truck because I neglected the mechanics part.

13 hours ago, dripley said:

to mention if you are running on 3:55 gears they are not going to like those big tires. On the flip side the gas station going love you because you will be a very regular customer.

Alright, that’s fine. I’ll just add this to the list of potential upgrades. It’s getting long. Lol

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

ou want big wheels and tires you need 4.10 gears at the minimum. Final gear ratio to the ground should be 3.55 or greater.

Sounds good, I’ll add that to the list. 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

have you went to the DOR site yet? This is what you want right here. Comes with all new hardware and steering components. 

Wow, thank you for the help! So now is this stuff only needed if I’m planning on off-roading? Because honestly I never plan on doing any sort of off-roading. Is the same some needed if I just want a truck that can comfortably handle big wheels and tires? I’d rather go too much than not enough. My plans are not to go cheap with this truck so if those are the parts you think are necessary, I’m completely fine with that.

Alright, so there is this website called bryanautorebuilders.com. The owner of this website and store has and instagram called @lp24v . I am not sure what size and wheels he is running, but they are huge. On this website, they sell a complet front end rebuild that I have a picture of it and what it all includes down below. Another user by the name of @b.rax12v has the complete maximum of whatever I would ever build my truck to, and he is running this front end rebuild. Now of course, these two are friends so whatever is said is most likely biased. This whole kit is only 850, so what makes the one you showed me so much better than this one?

E564CB21-6A11-4318-A074-4F7F0F52D28A.png

92B675D5-321B-4AE2-B06A-D38D39652EF0.png

55DD9D07-1E40-4D17-A2F3-37E14DC92E0D.jpeg

Edited by Kane4sythe

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

You'll want this stuff irregardless if your offloading

Sounds good! Time to start saving.

the 4.10 gear ratios may be a confusing job for me once I get that cover off. What is the ratio for a stock truck?

Edited by Kane4sythe

• Staff

It's going to be either 3:55 or a 4:10.  Look in your glove box and you might still be able to read the label that has the gear ratio info on it.  If not call the dealer service or parts department and with the vin# they can give you the built info.   

Usually, heim joints don't last as long in a steering application because of the dirt that can get in them.  With the range of articulation they have, any dirt that gets in there really sands down the metal quickly.  They may offer dust seals, but those tend to break down quickly as well.  And, while easy to replace, heims of that size are expensive!

Honestly, I'd recommend the 4th gen T style steering.  Cheaper, more easily sourced, and reliable.

Edited by trreed

Ive never personally dealt with Danny at dodge offroad but ive heard nothing but horror stories. You can make a solid front end for alot less $ than all that stuff anyway and its not needed. Mike's stock parts lasted 300k plus and he is on back road and offroading getting wood for the winter. Like mentioned, if your tie rods are shot, do the 4th gen steering or the 98-99HD steering and youll be fine. You do not need to touch your rear differential, leave that to someone that sets gears up.

Still more money. How about the rear? Dont get me wrong, that look is not for me. But it is not my truck and I am a firm beleiver in to each his own. Just trying to figure how you can raise your truck like that and have it structurally sound for much less than 2 grand in parts. Then you got to buy the wheels and tires.

@Kane4sythe i am not trying to discourage you in the least. I would hate to see riding tall in the truck just to have break.

Edited by dripley

4 hours ago, trreed said:

Usually, heim joints don't last as long in a steering application because of the dirt that can get in them.  With the range of articulation they have, any dirt that gets in there really sands down the metal quickly.  They may offer dust seals, but those tend to break down quickly as well.  And, while easy to replace, heims of that size are expensive!

Honestly, I'd recommend the 4th gen T style steering.  Cheaper, more easily sourced, and reliable.

Okay, so if I could afford it though would buying the steering set up from dodge Offroad be as good of a choice as the t steering?

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

It's going to be either 3:55 or a 4:10.  Look in your glove box and you might still be able to read the label that has the gear ratio info on it.  If not call the dealer service or parts department and with the vin# they can give you the built info.   

So if it’s already 4.10 aside from the front end reinforcing, an I good to go for bigger wheels and tires?

3 hours ago, dripley said:

the steering package but how about the lift kit to get the truck up that high? Am I missing something

Ohh gotcha. So then dor includes the lift?

2 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Ive never personally dealt with Danny at dodge offroad but ive heard nothing but horror stories. You can make a solid front end for alot less $ than all that stuff anyway and its not needed. Mike's stock parts lasted 300k plus and he is on back road and offroading getting wood for the winter. Like mentioned, if your tie rods are shot, do the 4th gen steering or the 98-99HD steering and youll be fine. You do not need to touch your rear differential, leave that to someone that sets gears u

There is nothing wrong with the truck at all, I just want to make it that I can put up to 24 inch wheels and 38 inch tires if I want to ever go that big, so I’m trying to figure out what all needs to be done to the truck in order to safely and comfortably run something this large 

1 hour ago, dripley said:

How about the rear

Oh my, what needs to be done to the rear? I thought it was just the front ends in these trucks that went bad?

Spending the extra money on the DOR steering is not worth it to me.  It might be to you.  I do have a DOR track bar.  It's been a solid choice, and I haven't had to mess with it in the 2.5 years its been in service.  That part is worth the wait to me.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Just trying to figure how you can raise your truck like that and have it structurally sound for much less than 2 grand in parts. Then you got to buy the wheels and tires.

@Kane4sythe i am not trying to discourage you in the least. I would hate to see riding tall in the truck just to have break.

Well idk either lol. There is a bunch of options you can select and with each option it raises the price. Some of the options I don’t even know what they mean. Yeah that’s ehat I’m trying to avoid. I’m not going to go all crazy and buy expensive wheels and tires, just to have everything else break. I’m honestly not really too worried about the price. I bought the truck knowing that if I wanted to make it nice, money would be involved, and of course I’m olanning on doing these things over a long period of time, not over night. I’m just trying to get a list straight in my head of all the things that need to be done in order to make this my dream truck.