• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VIDEO Low boost/irregular fuel pressure/no smoke

99 2nd gen 2wd dually. 365k miles. Bonestock besides 4" straightpipe, S&B Intake, and quadzilla adrenaline V2. In the video, I'm running the "stock injector race tune" from me78569 that i downloaded from here. 

Turned all the way up to 5:

Im maxing out at 19psi of boost.
My fuel pressure sporadically spikes down to 7psi.
And the truck doesnt blow any smoke (not that I care, just concerned it's running lean because i feel like it should be fueling for 35-40psi from what I've read)

Any idea what's wrong? MAP sensor? It acts like this even in the default power levels, cranked up to 11. No CEL, but I am getting a p1693 code on my CTS2 monitor. 

Bone stock truck wont make more than 18 to 20 psi of boost unless you have done something to the waste gate on the turbo. Stock waste gate opens around that pressure and a tuner cannot overcome the mechanical waste gate. As far as fuel pressure, what lift pump are you running? If it is the stock Carter the drop might not be unusual, but looking at the video your pressure was all over,Maybe a sensor issue. I dont know that the quad will fuel to that high of boost, 35 to 40 psi, if you are not making that much boost. Your EGT is very low for it to be fueling that hard. If you are running a stock HX35w turbo 35 to 40 psi is a little out of its zone. The low 30's is about its max operating range for efficiency. How the Quad deals with all of this is a bit over my head. Someone will come along and help that part and maybe straighten me out.

It would help greatly if you would fill out your signature so all can see what if any mods you have done to the truck; If bone stock list it that way.

Speak of the devil and he posts. @Me78569 knows much more about this than I do.

He is also right about the 1693 code.

24 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

1693 can't exist alone.  Use a code scanner to figure out what code is being set.

I plan to as soon as I have a chance. Work schedule is crazy right now, I've been working 12hrs a day for 20-something days straight. I just didn't know if maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

22 minutes ago, dripley said:

Bone stock truck wont make more than 18 to 20 psi of boost unless you have done something to the waste gate on the turbo. Stock waste gate opens around that pressure and a tuner cannot overcome the mechanical waste gate. As far as fuel pressure, what lift pump are you running? If it is the stock Carter the drop might not be unusual, but looking at the video your pressure was all over,Maybe a sensor issue. I dont know that the quad will fuel to that high of boost, 35 to 40 psi, if you are not making that much boost. Your EGT is very low for it to be fueling that hard. If you are running a stock HX35w turbo 35 to 40 psi is a little out of its zone. The low 30's is about its max operating range for efficiency. How the Quad deals with all of this is a bit over my head. Someone will come along and help that part and maybe straighten me out.

It would help greatly if you would fill out your signature so all can see what if any mods you have done to the truck; If bone stock list it that way.

Speak of the devil and he posts. @Me78569 knows much more about this than I do.

He is also right about the 1693 code.

EDIT: I also installed a fass 150 lift pump, completely forgot about that. Sorry.

I ordered the adjustable wastegate elbow, just waiting on it to arrive but I thought the quadzilla has a built in boost fooler (correct?) and could over come it without one. I've had duramaxs all my life so I'm new to this world. Sorry for any ignorance.

You need a boost elbow as well as a boost fooler.  Boost elbow mechanically prevents the wastegate from opening, the boost cooler prevents the ecm from defueling.

The stored code is the first step.  No point in guessing until you know what code is in the computer.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

You need a boost elbow as well as a boost fooler.  Boost elbow mechanically prevents the wastegate from opening, the boost cooler prevents the ecm from defueling.

The stored code is the first step.  No point in guessing until you know what code is in the computer.

I read somewhere that the quadzilla had a built in boost fooler, is that not correct?

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

It has a boost fooler.  It does not have a boost elbow.

The ecm isn't defueling but the wastegate is still opening bleeding exhaust pressure.

Okay, I was just making sure I didnt need to order the boost fooler as well. The elbow will be here tuesday.

What's your opinion of the fuel pressure acting the way it is? 

Like I said, I'm new to this. I do appologize for any ignorance. I just want to make sure I'm not about to smoke my vp44 or anything catastrophic. A friend of mine believes the fuel pressure issue is being caused by a bad lift pump but it's less than 6 months old and has less than 5k miles.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The ecm isn't defueling but the wastegate is still opening bleeding exhaust pressure.

Will the Quad keep fueling to beyond the boost pressure stopping 18 PSI or does it level off there? My thought is it would not keep dumping more fuel without the air to burn it and thus a lot black smoke. Just thinking out loud and trying to improve my ignorance.

1 hour ago, Mlhiser12 said:

What's your opinion of the fuel pressure acting the way it is?

I would agree on the test gauge. Something is whacky.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Will the Quad keep fueling to beyond the boost pressure stopping 18 PSI or does it level off there? My thought is it would not keep dumping more fuel without the air to burn it and thus a lot black smoke. Just thinking out loud and trying to improve my ignorance.

I would agree on the test gauge. Something is whacky.

My thought exactly, hence the reason I mentioned the lack of smoke. I'm curious on this as well.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Use a second gauge and verify the reading. Could be the sensor or the Pump.  Pretty huge pressure swings that appear erratic.  

Does it idle at steady pressure?

Yes. It idles consistently, it only acts sporadic like that under WOT. Come to think of it, I failed to mention that I also installed a beans sump pump. Only reason I bring that up is because I'm having issues with fuel leaks from where I mounted it on a slightly curved surface under the tank by mistake. Is it possible my lift pump is sucking air through the seal of the sump pump? Could that cause the pressure to go crazy like that?

air leak is possible.

Remember the quad is using boost to tell it how much fuel to use.  If the wastegate is opening then boost falls and so does fueling.  You can tune the quad to overfuel, but my tunes dont typically do that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

air leak is possible.

Remember the quad is using boost to tell it how much fuel to use.  If the wastegate is opening then boost falls and so does fueling.  You can tune the quad to overfuel, but my tunes dont typically do that.

I see. Well the elbow will arrive tomorrow and I'll report back on that asap, hopefully that eliminates one or both issues. 

As far as the fuel leak goes on that sump, what do you reckon I can do about that? I was going to empty the tank, pull the sump off, put a thicker o-ring in (if I can find one) and silicone the piss out of it. Only other option I see is swapping in another used fuel tank. 

1 hour ago, Mlhiser12 said:

As far as the fuel leak goes on that sump, what do you reckon I can do about that? I was going to empty the tank, pull the sump off, put a thicker o-ring in (if I can find one) and silicone the piss out of it. Only other option I see is swapping in another used fuel tank. 

Mine leaked, end result was I finally found another tank.  That was after finally coming to grips with reality that a patch job will always be a patch job.  Never knew for sure or when a patch job would fail.

I talked with fass folks, bean folks and couple o ring makers. Help desk with jb weld (who have heard about everything). And looking online for "o- rings with lips" 

If another tank is what you end up doing, you are not limited to our diesels and year.  Pull up the parts look up file on this site and see what will interchange with what you have.  

Silicone not recommended in my opinion.

I had to give a hundred bill and remove tank from donor vehicle in my case, but dodge stuff hard to find near me.  

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/part-number-lookup-tool-2nd-gen-24v/

Edited by 015point9
Added link, bbn I think correctly?

UPDATE

So I got my boost elbow today and being the dumbass that I am, I accidentally ordered the DDP boost elbow which is non adjustable. Installed it anyways, and my max boost pressure went from 19 to 26. Not bad, but not the result I was looking for.

Also, I paid closer attention to the erratic fuel pressure, which still persists after the DDP boost elbow. It acts erratic under ANY type of acceleration, not just WOT. It was even doing it at idle before it reached operating temp. (I recorded a couple videos if youd like to see them)

It was blowing a little puff of grey/black smoke from a boosted launch, but still doesnt seem like its fueling properly according to the throttle%/load/boost pressure. (I'm basing that opinion off of my experiences with my duramaxs in relation to turbo lag vs fueling, which has always been way smokier) 

On a side note, my CTS2 readouts are very odd. where the iquad app shows 19psi max boost, cts2 shows 16.6psi (pre-DDP boost elbow). Post-DDP boost elbow, iquad shows 26psi max, where as cts2 now displays 15.9psi... weird... how accurate are these cts2s? I've seen some people swear by them but I'm beginning to call bullshit.

Tonight, ill be Ordering an  ADJUSTABLE turbo elbow as well as an analog fuel pressure gauge, like you said. 

22 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The quadzilla is boost fooling the cts only can see up to that boost fooled limit.

The cts is a waste of money, just use the iquad.

I see. I honestly only bought it to read balance rates on my duramax. Its gunna be out of commission for a while (injectors, headgaskets, turbo upgrades) so I just threw it in the cummins for shits and giggles. 

This Is a video of the lift pump running while the key is on. I've always thought it sounded weird compared to the identical fass150 titanium in my other truck which is steady and consistent. It has sounded like this since the day I installed it, which was weeks before i installed the sump pump and quadzilla. Does this sound/look right? 

51 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Wow!  That pump don't sound too good.  Sucking air maybe :shrug: or just a bad pump motor.

I never thought anything of it untill I tried turning this thing up. Sucks because it's not even 3 months old and like an idiot, I didnt full out any of the warranty paperwork that it came with :doh: