• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

• Owner
6 hours ago, Evan said:

Lol I cant sell anything.

Maybe MoparMan can log onto my account and finish my profile. Its stuck on step 3

Smartysupport.com yes... I'm the server Admin.

Smarty Resource . com no... No longer working for them. They turned more phone based.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I believe @Evan is suffering from the same issues I had I had. Can you tell me what your modifications are?

I wrote up a huge article over in the articles setting here that maybe of use for you. I can't get my phone to post it. IDK why it's acting up.

This is what I wore to try and explain the settings and how they work based on my truck. My99 with an automatic did allot of the things you describe in this thread. But my truck when it's tuned seems to run great.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Thanks 1

I've read the article..

I have 7x09 and decent auto trans.

I'm really not sure what to think of this s03. I can feel it makes power but it's all wierd every where.

About the only noticeable change I see is in tourqe management revo setting..

3 less smoke 4 more noticeable scale and pep.

Not sure injection timing makes much difference 

Still playing with it. I'm on sw6 now all revo settings at default 

5 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I believe @Evan is suffering from the same issues I had I had. Can you tell me what your modifications are?

I wrote up a huge article over in the articles setting here that maybe of use for you. I can't get my phone to post it. IDK why it's acting up.

This is what I wore to try and explain the settings and how they work based on my truck. My99 with an automatic did allot of the things you describe in this thread. But my truck when it's tuned seems to run great.

My man, this article should be pinned somewhere, great writeup! :thumb1:

If anything, the conclusion we can draw from this thread is this:

Smarty probably works, somehow, with a stock truck. 

Not really recommended though, so just get a Quadzilla to be sure. :lmao:

Lol. 

I can tell the smarty does something  what im nit sure.

I was in sw6 this morning on throttle maybe alittle more aggressive th hen normal shifts 1-2 2-3 locks 3rd and fell flat on its face.  All shifts felt natural good quick shifts then it falls flat I let off the throttle. My brain is turned think tranny. 

I'm back on setting sw5 tm4 timing 2 duration 4. Seems better just light throttle in city traffic. Did hit the freeway for a few minutes cruise has a slight surge. Boost gauge not fluttering grrr I have seen some settings really flutter my boost gauge. Some settings the needle is solid.

Still not sure what to think. I thought all fuel setting would get rid of wierd neam nit I'm guessing it was fueled out when locking the converter in 3rd. 

Still more testing.

Almost like loading rifle ammo trying different combinations till happy below essivive pressure signs on the primer.

@Evan, it is good that you have read @pepsi71ocean's Smarty S03 article.  Another good read, if you haven't already done so, is @Tittle Diesel Performance's posts regarding what a Smart S03 representative told him.  Two important items:

1.  He lists the default Revo settings (torque management, timing, and fuel duration) for each software setting (SW1 through SW9).  This makes for a good reference point when deciding which Revo settings you want to change, which direction you want to go, and which settings you will leave default.

2.  If all Revo settings are left to default, the software in general increases torque, advances timing, and increases fuel duration progressively from SW1 through SW9.  But, if you select a Revo number in either Torque Management, Timing, or Duration that is not Default (0), then those parameters stay the same regardless of software number (SW1 through SW9).

My truck has a manual 6 speed transmission and the engine has RV275 injectors, so tuning for me is much more simplified and using the information from @Tittle Diesel Performance's posts, the software settings I have tried seem to agree with that information - at least for my truck.  I believe @pepsi71ocean has had a different experience.

Your truck seems to be a closer match to @pepsi71ocean's truck.  It seems that with automatic transmissions and large injectors, the transmission shift points can be greatly affected with different Smarty settings which masks what is really going on at a particular setting.  This would definitely make it harder to tune the truck.  These are only observations from my point of view from reading different posts, as I have never tried to tune a truck with an automatic transmission.

- John

Say I change timing to 2 I know they then all set to 2. Does eachcurve still change compared to two setting in each sw# or are they now the same.

I'm mainly messing with sw5. But got to think that it may be the same as sw3 if its revo settings match sw5.

I'm at tm5 timing2 d5  

Wish I could go down to tm4.5

Sw6 is tm5 t1 d5  was timing set to factory causing it to fall on its face with the added fuel down low and up high.

Timing set at 2 I haven't noticed it going flat. It will smoke like coal train but cleans out quick and is smooth my boost gauge isnt dancing. 

I was thinking to leave timing at 2 then bounce through the sw#'s see if one strikes my fancy.

Might bump my trans pressure up  20lbs or so tonight and kick my shift points back. I do like fuel on the  bottom.

I might run around with pressure gauge on trans and watch shift points psi in different settings. 

Does this ever end

Edited by Evan

• Owner
16 hours ago, Tractorman said:

My truck has a manual 6 speed transmission and the engine has RV275 injectors, so tuning for me is much more simplified

Because the Smarty S-03 is designed for those injectors. Stock injerctors. RV275 injectors are so small you can get away with the Smarty. Now like Pepsi71Ocean he's running +100 HP injectors. 

Now if Smarty locks to 18* on my truck that would be too retarded. I'm upwards of 26* at cruise now and now getting into the good MPG numbers and super low EGT's. Where Smarty comes up short. 

Capture+_2019-04-18-18-54-10.png

(Add +1 to speed)

(Subtract -50 from EGT's for correct EGT's)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now if Smarty locks to 18* on my truck that would be too retarded.

What ? Are you saying my truck's retarded?  (attempt at humor).

I understand what you are saying about the limitations of the Smarty S03.

On a different subject, is the screenshot in your photo the actual display you are looking at while driving down the road?  If so, what is the size of the screen?

- John

• Like 1

Up my transmission pressure and played with TV. Tm5 is just to much fuel down low for my liking normal driving its shifting at like 1500.

1-2 shift light throttle is wa bam under throttle it lurches forward as it grabs. That's just to harsh for me.

2-3 is still my sloppy shift but also harsh under light throttle. 

Tm 4 is still early shifting but I like it.  Tm3 doesnt seem to gain much down low pull.

I'm leaving timing at 2 duration 5. Has tons of power pulling from 1800 2200. I may have felt it go flat but I was doing 90 messing around. I never drive like that. 

If it makes power to 2200 I'm happy.

I'm not sure sw number matters at all.

When revo settings are changed.

To bad it cant store different settings on each sw# and tune on the fly

Then I could have setting pre done and see instantly what they do.

I towed horses up a few grades today

Lots of power.  I'm on sw6 tm2 d5.

Time2 so I can toggle all sw#,s and not worry to much about fuel and timing together

Egt stayed below 1200 at all times. One grade I pull on highway in middle from a stop start jamming gears and accelerate up the hole hill. Didnt try to grab overdrive. Topped out at about 2200 and ran to top that's 60 65ish mph .

Before I could peg 1500egt just thinking about it.

I'm very happy with how it pulled and ran cool.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:09 AM, Evan said:

Up my transmission pressure and played with TV. Tm5 is just to much fuel down low for my liking normal driving its shifting at like 1500.

1-2 shift light throttle is wa bam under throttle it lurches forward as it grabs. That's just to harsh for me.

2-3 is still my sloppy shift but also harsh under light throttle. 

Tm 4 is still early shifting but I like it.  Tm3 doesnt seem to gain much down low pull.

I'm leaving timing at 2 duration 5. Has tons of power pulling from 1800 2200. I may have felt it go flat but I was doing 90 messing around. I never drive like that. 

If it makes power to 2200 I'm happy.

I'm not sure sw number matters at all.

When revo settings are changed.

To bad it cant store different settings on each sw# and tune on the fly

Then I could have setting pre done and see instantly what they do.

Yeah that's just one of the downsides of the smarty. 

I've shot an email to Diesel Performance Converters, to get a new converter and prepare my truck for the Quadzilla. I've had it with the Smarty :ahhh:

On 4/20/2019 at 7:17 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Because the Smarty S-03 is designed for those injectors. Stock injerctors. RV275 injectors are so small you can get away with the Smarty. Now like Pepsi71Ocean he's running +100 HP injectors. 

Now if Smarty locks to 18* on my truck that would be too retarded. I'm upwards of 26* at cruise now and now getting into the good MPG numbers and super low EGT's. Where Smarty comes up short. 

Capture+_2019-04-18-18-54-10.png

(Add +1 to speed)

(Subtract -50 from EGT's for correct EGT's)

26* crusing :wow:, I'll have to try that. 

I noticed you're on level 7 (wiretap) mpg won't be accurat, it's not accounted for it. Load will be low like yours at 13 because of added fuel that's not accounted for and MPG would seem high.

• Owner
30 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

26* crusing :wow:, I'll have to try that. 

Actually, on the last tank of fuel it was only off by -0.1 gallons. (359 miles / 17.882 gal = 20.14 MPG) Bucking serious winds 20-25 MPH. Cruise timing limit is cut at 22%. Remember I'm popped at 320 bar so the injectors are late. 

Capture+_2019-04-21-11-17-53.png

On I-84 set the cruise control for 70 MPH in the trucker lane. Still up there around 24 MPG. This is +7 cruise timing. 245's tires and  2,100 on the tach for mere 16% engine load. 

BOOYAH! (Doing my "Can't Touch This" dance...)

Capture+_2019-04-22-06-29-03.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Smarty historically has never been great with autos. I wouldn't even recommend one for an auto. Manuals fine, awesome, allows you to wind shifts out to 2500-3k. Way better than my old edge ez. Driver is in control.

The TS MVP is the only stronger plug and play box but a hot mess in itself because things come way alive at 7 lbs boost. Not cool drive ability.

I have auto and smarty working well together. Haven't even touched a setting in 4 days.

I'll agree for someone with a auto and no know how or want to tune tranny and smarter together it may not be for them.

On the other hand smarty is designed for truck with stock injectors and I'd imagine isnt as picky ti tune compared to mine with 100hp sticks.

I did put this programmer on a stock truck auto offcourse. Compared to my truck the but dyno didnt read near as high and driveability wasnt hardly noticed. On my truck driveability was affected from idle to wot.

On the stock truck I didnt notice and need to want to play with tranny.

To me I see no point in pushing on the peddle until 2500rpm is reached 3000 I'm scratchn head thinking maybe guys run them up they're racing

It has been fun playing with settings and I was able to get my auto working better than it ever has and learned alot in process. That was worth installing the s03 tune.

I do have a few tweaks I want to make in the trans still. Seems I'm never done with tranny tweaking. I did run into some money lately thought about a quad or turbo but neither are high on priority list right now. Someday the hy35 will give up then I'll for sure upgrade. Maybe to the hx40 my brother pulls of his 05.

Edited by Evan

Not as good as you.

I got 17 last tank that's probly alright since I towed and drove around town on that tank.

Hoping to see 18- 20 on this tank if I dont tow.

I gota move equipment around boise so itl end up on the trailer behind the kenworth. If you see it no it's not broke. I just gota move it to final destination then move equipment there to.

I'm not 100% sure my odometer is working correctly . Low trip meter reading when I forget to reset between tanks. I've calibrated actual tire size. Readings around 700-900 for 3 tanks.