• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thermostat... just a good one

I know the good Cummins thermostat is expensive..... Maybe not

What Brand is a good reliable  thermostat . genos sells the Gates -33915

Edited by GSP7

I just changed coolant and flushed the system yesterday. went to Napa to pick up a new thermo and 3 gallons of green, my system looked as clean as day one. 

Opened up the thermostat box from napa and it was the same as the one I took out, stamped motorad. Last time I changed thermostat was in 2011, never had an issue and that one and it came from

Orielys 

I also dilute antifreeze with well water and my system is clean, no scale build up

0D8B95CE-1370-431D-8991-F17B983D71E2.jpeg

4 hours ago, GSP7 said:

who manufactures these napa thermostats?  Brand/company?

IIRC they list a couple different makes online

The standard in stock Napa thermostat is Motorad for the 180 or 190. They offer a 190 Safe-T-Stat special order, it is the fail safe type. They also offer a stainless steel one, special order.

I had major issues with my Napa 180, went to a Cummins 180 and all is well. I haul heavy, in steep country, in hot weather. Driving around empty, the Napa 180 was fine. Note the difference in design of the Cummins (far left) and the Napa (far right) these are both 180. The middle one is a 190 but not sure of the make. Be sure and click on the pictures and blow them up for a real good look. 

1211181135.jpg

1211181135c.jpg

1211181135b.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
add content
  • Like 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, GSP7 said:

who manufactures these napa thermostats?  Brand/company?

IIRC they list a couple different makes online

I can tell you that Cummins and Mopar do NOT produce any thermostats and will randomly change manufacture at the drop of a hat.

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Note the difference in design of the Cummins (far left) and the Napa (far right) these are both 180.

That is NOT a current Cummins thermostat they have changed again. Out of date...

New Cummins on the far left (2019). Then the old Cummins on the right. (2002). New Cummins thermostat failed right out of the box. Excessively cold.

20190713_112427.jpg20190713_112415.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

What is the part# of your current Cummins t-stat and temp? Mine is #5292742 180* bought in 12-18. If you do some research you will find that Stant and Gates are the same as my Cummins#, they will say "OE Type". Napa/Motorad will say "OE Temp".

If you look up Napa's old number 457180 it will show as " OE Exact"

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9Fq5eKUhdS3IAwBZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1565039070/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.napaonline.com%2fen%2fp%2fMRD457180/RK=2/RS=EwtqBSBP0ydFcDMA6xvErz6bx80-

In my use, the Napa did not work, the Cummins does.

• Owner
21 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

Mine is #5292742 180* bought in 12-18.

I'm not sure at this time I can find out from @mr.obvious. His was a 190°F bought in May of 2019. Purchase from Kenworth dealer in Ontario, OR. 

My point is that neither Cummins or Mopar produce thermostats. They change manufactures when they wish at any time. There is only a few companies that actually do produce thermostats. What they are listed as doesn't matter either being NAPA doesn't produce thermostats either. NAPA changes manufactures at the drop of a hat as well. It more about who made the thermostat than the vendor that sold the thermostat. 

So far no one had been able identify the manufacture of any thermostats and just chase brand names.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm not sure at this time I can find out from @mr.obvious. His was a 190°F bought in May of 2019. Purchase from Kenworth dealer in Ontario, OR. 

My point is that neither Cummins or Mopar produce thermostats. They change manufactures when they wish at any time. There is only a few companies that actually do produce thermostats. What they are listed as doesn't matter either being NAPA doesn't produce thermostats either. NAPA changes manufactures at the drop of a hat as well. It more about who made the thermostat than the vendor that sold the thermostat. 

So far no one had been able identify the manufacture of any thermostats and just chase brand names.

Anyone that works on their own vehicle knows this. My point is, oem has different specs than the aftermarket, they will fit and work. Aftermarket will usually fit and might work.

• Like 1

• Owner
1 minute ago, NIsaacs said:

My point is, oem has different specs than the aftermarket, they will fit and work. Aftermarket will usually fit and might work.

I know that your point. But... Who manufactures the thermostats? Being that even Cummins thermostat I've seen is different and never the same. Like yours is 2018 and standard style. Then 2019 went to a different design all together. 

Again WHO is manufacturing the thermostats for Cummins and Mopar? This is the only thing I want to know. Because neither Cummins or Mopar manufacture thermostats. 

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I know that your point. But... Who manufactures the thermostats? Being that even Cummins thermostat I've seen is different and never the same. Like yours is 2018 and standard style. Then 2019 went to a different design all together. 

Again WHO is manufacturing the thermostats for Cummins and Mopar? This is the only thing I want to know. Because neither Cummins or Mopar manufacture thermostats. 

I don't know who the vendor is, but whoever it is they will manufacture to Cummins specs. You say the 2019 is different but without a part number it is hard to say. That t-stat looks like a 12 valve style. Maybe it was packaged wrong....

• Like 1

• Owner

Why I'm asking for the manufacture than the vendor because then you can go directly to the source for a the thermostat and most likely get a better price and still get a Cummins thermostat. 

Cummins, Mopar, NAPA, Autozone are just vendors that sell what is put in the box and know nothing about what is in the box. I've ask at the Dodge Dealer for manufacture info and they are clueless like usual. Still in all there is only a handful of companies manufacturing these thermostats and you should just go directly to the manufacture and skip the logo'ed box. 

• Like 1

Bottom line sounds like a crap shoot to some degree over the years, and guys saying "cummins boxed thermostat only" is the best hands down appear to be wrong since they change makers

So labeled box aside,, what manufacture seems the best?...motorad ? :cool:

:doh:

I want the fails open type

Here is what is listed for my '99 .....

Looks like I want the top one or bottom one .

What is the jiggle pin one at the bottom? Is that a safety too , and looks like the top one is Stainless steel?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?input-q=I+Don't+Know&q=N%3D2500005%2B2600501%2B2802469%2B10199900%2B5002000%2B5002200%2B200220100%2B402203300%2B599999900%2B50600000%26Score%3D0.9&text=thermostat&indices=UI&keywordInput=thermostat&referer=nol-veh-conds

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

Cummins might change manufacturers,  but the specs likely don't vary from mfg to mfg.... 

Either way, not sure how it can be wrong when the forums are full of failed/improper operating non-Cummins units and I haven't read any of those issues with OEM thermostats. 

Non-OEM is a crap shoot, not so with OEM

• Like 1