• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

100HP DAP Injectors with aftermarket Bodies for 98-02 match flowed VOC

18 minutes ago, Evan said:

Ohhhh disregard then lol

I researched and decided I'd be better off putting money in my 47re instead of converting to manual.

Yep wish I had a built Automatic but,  as popeye my truck says "I yam what i yam"

Edited by Scottyv
I cant spell .. corrections
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scottyv said:

Makes me Kinda wish I had a 6sp. But I have been told they are weaker all around.

I have been told the opposite - that the six speed transmissions are stronger.  I have a NV5600 with 320,000 miles on it and it has been trouble free and still operates like it is new.  I tow frequently (12,500 - 17,000 lbs gross combined weight).  The six speed does solve you "missing gear" problem.

It seems to me that a six speed transmission and your 4:10 gears would be a great match for your towing and mountain grade issues.

- John

• Like 2

In 5th at 65 hitting a  several mile pull, its just fine. But, drop behind a slow truck, or grandma , and its fourth and forty the rest of the way, till you hit flat ground. That's when  you miss it. One time coming up out of the Missouri river valley on I-90 near Chamberlain, South Dakota. Three Semi trucks and trailers and me with a 8k trailer racing to the top for position. Got crowded in but, I was able to pass the slowest one. and maintain 50mph.

But its not confidence inspiring.

When talking to a friend about it, who has a 2011 ford 450 dully 6.7 with a automatic, he said, its the same for him with a 14k 5th wheel trailer on the hitch. So its perspective.

Another hard hill is between Buffalo Wy and Ten-Sleep _ Big horns Mts, one hill was Powder river Pass, 8666 elevation, on the sign where I pulled off to cool down. 8% grade for like 7 miles. very tough road for my truck.  

I would like to have truck that can slay the mountain roads, cause that where ya wanna go with it. 

Edited by Scottyv

I would have to say to slay the hills like you want you need a newer truck or be willing to lay a pile of cash down to make the 99 perform like 2018.

These  2nd gens are very good trucks and will pull house if you set them up to. They just want pull it fast.

Mine will still pull that same 6% grade with15k on her back at 50 mph and the rest of the way thru the blue ridge mountains out my way. This is with 480k on her. My 96 with a V10 would pull it faster but at 4 mpg versus the 11.5 I get out of the cummins. 

Your 4th and my 5th are almost indentical, the only difference is the rear end gears. I would think yours would pull a 6% grade easy compared to my 3:55's. My foot is on the floor climbing those grades at 50 by the way and if someone slows me down I am in 4th and pretty much there for the rest of the climb.

• Like 1

Why alot of money. I can pull most all grades at the posted speed limit with the smarty and 7x009 injectors and most the time with my foot not on the floor.

I do have to back off when it gets steeper to keep her cool. But itl still run with traffic 

1 hour ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I have a Quad XZT+ that is collecting dust in my garage.  Not sure it'll help you out with the 100HP injectors but it'll be better than nothing.  Message me if you're interested in it.  Only used a few weeks then I upgraded to an Adrenaline.  I'll make you a good deal on it.

I'm A Little under the curve when it comes to tunners. Could you message me as I'm new and not sure yet how to do that. Either way I would be interested in the Quad if its a good match for my plans. 

thanks

Don't get me wrong about the 1999 -02 Vp44 5.9  truck. It will pull nicely on the low grades up to 5% and average short steeper pulls. I can maintain 65 to 70 running 25 to 27 rpms.

Been told these truck are made to run around 2500 rpms all day. But, You really do need to hit long pulls on the I90 or other interstates at around 60+ best to get into the hill around 65+.

By the top I'm still pulling 55 in fifth. But it like running a 4 banger with 75 hp from the 70's. You can just feel that there is not much left in there. And from a dead stop going directly into a hard pull you've got to move over and hope to get it up to 45, be for the Egts get ya.

Thanks for all the awesome advice gentlemen:2cents:

• Owner
6 hours ago, Scottyv said:

Because the NV 4500 is missing a gear between third and fourth.

Not really. Depends on the final ratio to the ground. I'm typically shifting to 4th gear by 25 MPH city driving. When you drop to 245's for tires this changes the final ratio to 3.69:1 and 4th gear can be as low as 25 MPH and still float 1,300 RPM nearly. 

As for weakness. I've broke the mainshaft but never had a 5th gear nut problem. My last failure I ate 5th gear at 80 MPH but never broke the input shaft that every one says is weak. 

Strong points, 3rd is pretty strong the amount of BS I pour to mine. Typically 3rd is strong enough to spin the tires free on dry asphalt. 

Considering a newer truck is 25grand.

These 24v old trucks make tons of power for cheap

On the power side 600 injectors 600 fuel system 200 gauges 200 exhaust 200 programmer

Should 4000 dollar tranny be included 1800 dollar pump. Air filters and oil?

For having it for 15 years it's been a great truck reliable in my mind runs for low cost per mile with tons of power. 

It keeps me working and makes me money

6 hours ago, Evan said:

Considering a newer truck is 25grand.

These 24v old trucks make tons of power for cheap

On the power side 600 injectors 600 fuel system 200 gauges 200 exhaust 200 programmer

Should 4000 dollar tranny be included 1800 dollar pump. Air filters and oil?

For having it for 15 years it's been a great truck reliable in my mind runs for low cost per mile with tons of power. 

It keeps me working and makes me money

Agreed, for the same reasons.  My list is similar. Got me to work today and will get me to play this weekend.

" A working man can survive" 

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not really. Depends on the final ratio to the ground. I'm typically shifting to 4th gear by 25 MPH city driving. When you drop to 245's for tires this changes the final ratio to 3.69:1 and 4th gear can be as low as 25 MPH and still float 1,300 RPM nearly. 

As for weakness. I've broke the main shaft but never had a 5th gear nut problem. My last failure I ate 5th gear at 80 MPH but never broke the input shaft that every one says is weak. 

Strong points, 3rd is pretty strong the amount of BS I pour to mine. Typically 3rd is strong enough to spin the tires free on dry asphalt. 

I'm running a very small tire, because the dully s, have not worn out ( hardly)  over the past 5 years,( 4 are better then two) so,... I've changed fronts twice. I been running (DISCOVERER HT3 - SIZE: LT225/75R16 )  because they came with the truck . PO was running horses with this truck with a goose, and the rears were replace when I bought it. He like the extra tour q.  so Ill be running these until next year. After I get the rest of my HP build sorted out I'll look into a set of DISCOVERER HT3 235 85r 16s which will drop my revolution by 52.98 per mile = 8.3%. Should be close to what I want. 3.65:1 +-

Also_ Today I tried shifting where you do, and it was OK :thumb1:.

I usually use my MPGs to help guide me on  what the truck likes. Mine gets better MPGs with Higher shift RPMs and higher cruising rpm's.  When I first git it  it I kept the r's low.  in-town was 16. hwy 19_ but found by keeping my over all RPM's a bit higher I shot up to 18 in-town. & 21 on the hwy with out trying. Now, with the new SBDD I've been more careful to wait out the disks for the sake of the synchronous gems. But im one of those guys who would rather listen to my engine then the radio. :rolleyes:

I want argue with either of you on these trucks. I am not knocking them at all. Bought mine new in October of 01 and I am fast approaching 500k. In those years it has left strand about 3 times I believe. Its been a  labor of love keeping her going and I have not had to spend alot money over the years on her to keep her in good shape. She makes me 175 dollars every week of the the year just to have it on the job.

They will pull anything you put on them on to them new, just not quickly. You do have to spend some money on it to do that. How much is entirely driven by how much power you want. Large or small pile it is all relative to that and what exactly a large small pile is to the individual.

• Owner
15 hours ago, Scottyv said:

I usually use my MPGs to help guide me on  what the truck likes. Mine gets better MPGs with Higher shift RPMs and higher cruising rpm's.

The difference is using the timing of the Quadzilla tune to allow me to keep lower RPM's. No need to wrap it up high to keep MPG's.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

The difference is using the timing of the Quadzilla tune to allow me to keep lower RPM's. No need to wrap it up high to keep MPG's.

yeah, looking into something to work best with my set up.

thanks

• Owner

Kind of like my Economy tune is built for good MPG in the 1,500 to 2,000 RPM range. Then my Performance tune is 2,000 to 2,500 RPM range for good MPG. Needless to say enough power to take the teeth off 5th gear on the mainshaft at 80 MPH, which was metal fatigue after nearly 400k miles of highway.

Too many people worry about launching power or down low power. My economy tune is built with low power in the bottom end so to keep the smoke controlled and not get into the wire tap. Then the power comes on above 13 PSI of boost. Giving good passing power but then flips back to mellow fuel to keep MPG up.

The performance tune I'm running seems to do excellent in the upper RPM's being the timing is just a few more degrees advanced over the economy tune. Just take a second to tap the "Custom Tuning" then tap on the tune you wish and answer "yes". Changed over in flight and take advantage of the tune for the road type.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Kind of like my Economy tune is built for good MPG in the 1,500 to 2,000 RPM range. Then my Performance tune is 2,000 to 2,500 RPM range for good MPG. Needless to say enough power to take the teeth off 5th gear on the mainshaft at 80 MPH, which was metal fatigue after nearly 400k miles of highway.

Too many people worry about launching power or down low power. My economy tune is built with low power in the bottom end so to keep the smoke controlled and not get into the wire tap. Then the power comes on above 13 PSI of boost. Giving good passing power but then flips back to mellow fuel to keep MPG up.

The performance tune I'm running seems to do excellent in the upper RPM's being the timing is just a few more degrees advanced over the economy tune. Just take a second to tap the "Custom Tuning" then tap on the tune you wish and answer "yes". Changed over in flight and take advantage of the tune for the road type.

Is that with the Quad XZT ?