• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Assassin or Fuel Boss?

• Staff

I have a Fuel Boss as do most of the other people on this forum that have a mechanical pump.  I installed it years ago with one problem that is common, small pieces of rubber from installation causing the pressure regulator to stick open.  This problem is easily remedied by opening up the relief valve and blowing out the debris.  When I first installed it I had some questions which were gladly answered by the staff of GDP.  

You can use this pump with or without the electric pump they say to install.   I have a cheap eclectic pump installed for priming the system (when changing fuel filter, injection pump, or injectors)  but keep it turned off the rest of the time by removing it's fuse..  

^^^

I agree with the above, the fuel boss and customer service From GDP is excellent.

I have my pump plumbed with no electric priming pump, so far havnt had a need for  one. I do use an inline strainer installed pre pump to catch the debris, It don’t come with Kit but recommended, GDP does stock them.  

Another Fuel Boss user here...also with no electric pump to be found on the truck.  I don't know if it made any difference but when I installed it I blew out each section of hose with compressed air and haven't had any problems with debris clogging the return valve.  I would also advise a strainer like mentioned above and concur that Richard at GDP is great to work with.  Very happy with the Fuel Boss. 

It doesn't hang down as far as your fan shroud does so something would be lucky (or unlucky) to make its way up there.  But the belt has a replacement interval of either 50k or 75k...can't remember which one.  I carry an extra belt with me just in case but never had a problem.  The pump is bulletproof and the pulleys are a kind of synthetic plastic of some sort.

If it worries you there's plenty of room to fabricate a shield to keep things from going up there.  But mine is naked and never had an issue.

2 hours ago, Remington92 said:

Not to highjack but how well do the pumps and belts hold up on these in nasty road environments? Curious if they’ll joke packing mud and snow around them. 

3 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Is there a button or lever to prime the system manually, like the old 12 valve lift pumps that were mounted on the drivers side of the block?

You can prime it with an electric drill very easily.

1 hour ago, Octafish said:

What pressure does the Fuel Boss put out at idle?

Mine is also 18 psi at idle but will increase to 20 during a full throttle pull.  Never less than 18 though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gregturley said:

I used stock lines with 3/8 hose. No problem at all. Stock pickup in tank.

I have RV275 injectors also.

I'm the same setup as @Gregturley but have 7x.010's and compound turbos with a TST Comp dumping fuel in and no fuel starvation issues or blips in fuel pressure.  Fuel pressure actually increases about 2 lbs as more fuel gets dumped in. 

You can get the fuel boss in a complete kit, comes with 3/8 fuel line and all necessary JIC and Parker push loc fittings, just let Richard at GDP what fuel pick up unit you have in the tank and he can set you up from their. 

I just kept it simple by using an old school draw straw in the tank, an in line strainer and factory fuel filter canister for fuel heating purpose since I run in the cold country, It will suck the last drop of fuel in the tank if I let it. If one wants extra fuel filtration, 1/2” lines or after market fuel heaters GDP can set you up with that too. 

When i was researching fuel pumps i couldn't find a lot of reviews on the Assassin. Found more on the Fuel Boss and a lot of great reviews on GDP. One thing i did like about the Assassin is it uses aluminium pulleys. If i have problems with the plastic ones I'll look into aluminium. I also carry a spare belt and a small tool kit. I've had fuel lines off for things and haven't had to prime it. Just crank it up and it goes.

• Like 1

you wont regret it...Richard has responded to my emails on sundays.

i installed mine around 2015, no belt or pulley issues...even spent some winters in Wisconsin, Minnesota area. i have my return check spring stretched a tad and idle at 22 psi.

• Like 2