• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trouble with my Ram

Please Help!! I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500. It has a 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. The problem occurs when engine is cold. I thought it was only in winter like now. But it also happens in summer just not half as bad. when engine is first started cold I get white smoke out of exhaust and it stumbles for about a minute in summer. And if left unplugged (engine block heater) in winter it will smoke bad and stumble for like 5minutes!! Then when it warms up enough to drive it wont go above like 20 30 maybe 40mph for like 2miles or more. Seems like until engine reaches a certain temp.?? Anyway then finally everything will kick in and truck will run and drive great!! I was told by a couple people that the problem is the Turbo Wastegate. I think it mite be more than that?? Can someone please give me some real answers before I start tearing things apart and possibly replacing the wrong things???? Thanks Very Much in advance!!!!

Thank you for your response!! Would u say then that the problem has nothing to do with the wastegate in the turbo?? I don't know enough about diesels to figure this out. If it has to do with timing im gonna have to take it into a shop. That could get expensive.

• Owner
6 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Would u say then that the problem has nothing to do with the wastegate in the turbo??

Nope has nothing to do wit it. 

Need to test for error codes and fuel pressure. Then check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is to low it can't advance timing hence the white smoke. There could be a P0216 code that is timing code of the VP44 which is cause from low fuel lubricity and low fuel pressure. Once the pump housing gets hot the the timing piston will move again. Hence driving normally. Most likely a bad VP44 but error codes and fuel pressure test will bring that forward. 

This is a seized timing piston.

image.jpeg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

12 hours ago, dripley said:

You need to check for trouble codes. That in itself will help save money, Gives you somewhere to start from.

Thanks for your response!! Would u say the problem has nothing to do with the wastegate in turbo?? I don't know enough about Diesels. There is no check engine light on. Will I be able to get codes checked without check engine lite on??

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Would u say the problem has nothing to do with the wastegate in turbo??

No has zero to do with the turbo or wastegate. 

There is no check engine light on.

Most error codes do not produce a check engine light.

Will I be able to get codes checked without check engine lite on??

Yes use a OBDII code reader and the list will be given of what is wrong. Now when you do list the numbers here and well look up the codes together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Nope has nothing to do wit it. 

Need to test for error codes and fuel pressure. Then check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is to low it can't advance timing hence the white smoke. There could be a P0216 code that is timing code ofr the VP44 which is cause from low fuel lubricity and low fuel pressure. Once the pump housing gets hot the the timing piston will move again. Hence driving normally. Most likely a bad VP44 but error codes and fuel pressure test will bring that forward. 

Thanks so much!! That sounds like the problem!!! So if that code is the problem I will need a new Fuel Pump?? Correct??

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No has zero to do with the turbo or wastegate. 

Most error codes do not produce a check engine light.

Yes use a OBDII code reader and the list will be given of what is wrong. Now when you do list the numbers here and well look up the codes together.

Thanks so much!! I will have to

42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Possibly. That why we need the error codes and test fuel pressure. These two test will rule out what is possibly going on.

Thanks!! I will have codes checked and let u know!!

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Possibly. That why we need the error codes and test fuel pressure. These two test will rule out what is possibly going on.

Beautiful truck u have!! obviously u don't live in Buffalo NY!! lol. I really appreciate your help!! I don't have a code reader and autozone only works when check engine lite is on. I will have to wait till tomorrow to get truck unfortunately into a shop. Could u please tell me so I have a better understanding, without a distributer and spark plugs and wires, how does the timing work on a diesel?? Also could u please fill me in on what the wastegate on the turbo does?? If it was stuck open or closed what would be the situations?? Thanks!! Also just so u know, if engine block heater is plugged in the truck will start up and run fine with no smoke. But it will still only go 30 40mph till warmed up fully!!!

A code reader should read the codes with or without a cel being lit. They might think that but be every code reader I have seen will display the codes that are stored. Timing is done with the injection of fuel into the cylinder. That is done thru the injection pump. It is a bit more involved but I would defer to the more knowledgeable for an explanation. The waste gate is on the turbo charger. It regulates the pressure you can build. A stock WG opens around 20 psi. If it is stuck open you can build no boost and the computer will not add fuel so the truck will run like a dog but will get up to speed although slowly. I dont feel thats your issue since it disappears when fully warm. Again others can explain it better than me.

Is the truck a stick or auto? It may be stuck in limp mode for some reason. The trouble codes will help a lot.

I had the same type problem with my 2002. It did throw a code. I don't remember the code, but it was for the cam position sensor. Eventually, it threw the 0216 code. Dealer installed rebuilt VP44 under warranty. Still had the problem on a cold morning. I replaced the cam position sensor. No more problems.

You could get a cheap bluetooth obdII reader and read the codes through your phone (you can also use it as a live data reader).  They sell them on Amazon for really cheap to not-so cheap.  Here are a few selections.

Cheap and not-so cheap

I have a cheap one and not so cheap one and they both work well for finding codes.  I've never tried using them on vehicles with out a CEL on though but they should be able to find any stored codes.  

This might be a cheaper alternative then just taking it to a shop.

Im just a little concerned because the code readers that Autozone have wont read anything unless your CEL is on. I would be blown away to see just a wire that plugs into my truck and other end into my computer do all the things they say it does. For $30?? Really??