• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost sensor location?

Hey Guys,

Finally getting around to setting up my boost / egt  and fuel pres / trans temp gauges.

Whaddya think guys? what is the best recommended location for the boost sensor? I'll be drilling / tapping 1/8 npt so I'm hoping / wondering if the aluminum intake just before the manifold would suit. Easy to take off without worrying about drill / tap chips getting into the intake.

I got all of the other sensor locals down. And yea, I know about drilling/taping the egt probe hole while the engine is running. Done that a few times on previous vehicles. 

Thanks!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Gregturley said:

They make aluminum and steel bolts. Use steel and you shouldn't have a problem with it snapping off unless you really over torque it.

The torque spec for the Glow Shift boost bolt thread adapter is 120 IN-LB (10 FT-LB). 

24 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Yes, 18 FT-LB is the torque for stock bolts but for this Glow Shift bolt the tightening specification is lower due to the bolt being hollow. 

https://www.glowshift.com/instructions/Accessories/Boost-Bolt-5.9L-6.7L-Cummins.pdf

Wouldn't that make the gasket weak in that spot, I don't think I'd use that set up just for this reason. Not arguing jmo.

Edited by Dieselfuture
Wrong thread
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Wouldn't that make the gasket weak in that spot, I don't think I'd use that set up just for this reason. Not arguing jmo.

When I did my boost leak check I didn't get any bubbles from my intake gasket.  Of course I am only producing about 35psi max boost.  I might be a little more worried if I was running a big turbo or twins. :shrug:

• Staff

This is the installation sheet for the boost gauge fitting and location in 2005 when I installed the Isspro gauge.  The boost bolt threaded adapter was introduced after this installation with all the venders now offering it for sale.  It's another part  they can make money off of and the customer doesn't have to hunt for it.

512119446_1boostfitting.jpg.9a2b7cf3432a568146ff9b935955e0a0.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Owner
46 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

I used the boost bolt and torqued it as recommended in instructions(it came with my gauges) and when it broke I drilled and tapped elbow. Had it off to replace injectors.  Boost bolt broke when I was removing it. 

Yup has myself working on other truck.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yeah for some of us running much higher boost like myself 47 to 49 PSI. Then consider the bigger guys with twins.