• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift size question

Recently bought a 7 owner 2001 2500 for a overland camper project. It has a lift but I have no idea how big. From the center of the hubs to the bottom of the fender measures 26” front 28” rear (I think this is the scientific way to measure)  Any idea what size life she has? Appreciate it!

I agree that is the best way to measure.  I don't know what size lift you got but I am 36" front and 36.5" back and I'm about 12" front and 10" back.  So just going by that I would guess that you are 2" front and back.  Maybe you have a 2" spring spacer on top of your coils up front and maybe a bigger block and/or add-a-leaf in back? 

• Like 1

Just now, dripley said:

This is the stock 2500 rear blocks, 02 any way.

20180303_083329.jpg.738ea60c1bbc45644737a9475f3c1254.jpg

Dont remember the height of the block but can measure later if need be.

It's been a while since I've had them but I measured before and I think I remember measuring a hair over 4 inches...maybe 4.25ish?  

• Like 1

How tall is the single block? Mine is 2 blocks and measures at 4 5/8" tall.

We have seen several different spring set ups on these trucks. Mine has the camper package on it hence the upper overload spring. My frontnhas no spacer but there is something in there between the spring and the pocket I believe to isolate metal to metal contact

• Staff

That looks like a two inch lift spacer on top of the coil spring. I regretted doing that to my 02 and went back to a one inch spacer. Long story. However, on my other second gen I won't be doing any level kit or 2 inch lift as it steers much nicer and parts last much longer. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the replies. I bet it’s been tough on this truck too. I pressed out want was left of the track bar bushing and put a new one in. Steering is much better but still sloppy. Lots of new parts are going on this truck over the summer. 

• Owner

Lift and leveling kits are typically the cause of front end steering issues. This all stems from the fact you alter the geometry of the axle. I left my truck stock and every thing last much longer. 

Ball joints 200k and counting, tie rod ends 350k miles on OEM, track bars 150k miles, steering box 350k miles. Etc. If you want to short the life your front end just add a leveling kit and bigger wheels. Then you can cut this in Half or even less.

I'm running 245/75 R16 tires (30.5 Inch), no lift, no leveling kits... Truck in my sig.

• Staff

Thanks MoparMan, It's nice to have a truck that still feels new going down the road. Big tires with all that lift stuff is bunk..... I'll never do that again. Is like I had to work twice as hard to drive it. No more

I guess I have some things to think about. I’m Building a overland camper so there’s lots of options. I’d like to have some decent clearance and off-road performance...but I’m going to be driving this all over the country and Mexico. 

Not only ground clearance...I built a camper in mid 90's and had about 2 inches clearance over cab.  Had to get more clearance over cab by using plywood in bed of truck.  On road was ok but off road was a problem.  Scrapes left on top of cab always bothered me.  

29 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Not only ground clearance...I built a camper in mid 90's and had about 2 inches clearance over cab.  Had to get more clearance over cab by using plywood in bed of truck.  On road was ok but off road was a problem.  Scrapes left on top of cab always bothered me.  

I’ll keep that in mind. I could see the bed flexing a bit more with all that weight of the camper. 

• Owner
3 hours ago, BennyGGG said:

I’d like to have some decent clearance and off-road performance..

I'm off road all the time here locally. Going out in the forest for firewood. Etc. Never had any issues with my current set up. 

3 hours ago, BennyGGG said:

but I’m going to be driving this all over the country and Mexico. 

Like I've been doing for 20 years on stock tires and suspension 415k miles later... No road for long ways...

Fuel sump and airdog fp150 install - 2nd Generation Dodge 24 Valve ...

21 hours ago, BennyGGG said:

This is what I’m working with. Is that a spring spacer above the coil cup?

1BB64416-BCA4-4F43-8DA0-0BE6F07805F0.jpeg

6D9BC2C1-9B61-4695-BDF0-733CBEFF4C33.jpeg

That's definitely a 2" spacer above your coil spring.  Your back looks stock unless you have a flipped back spring shackle which is not visible in the pic.  You should be sitting level with a 2" spacer up front and stock height rear. 

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Thanks MoparMan, It's nice to have a truck that still feels new going down the road. Big tires with all that lift stuff is bunk..... I'll never do that again. Is like I had to work twice as hard to drive it. No more

I agree...it kinda sucks to drive.  It's not my daily driver so I don't mind it so much...and the ladies like it so that also kinda helps make it a little more acceptable.

• Owner
2 hours ago, Bullet said:

and the ladies like it so that also kinda helps make it a little more acceptable.

LOL... Working with the wrong ladies. @Wet Vette loves my truck it looks stock and for her hips and back much easier to get into. (We are both in our 50's). The power part she loves when it flat pulls like today passed 9 cars all in the same pull. Lead car doing 40 to 45 MPH and speed limit is 65 MPH. Kicked it to 75 MPH and walked the entire pile and took the lead never seen them again.

2 hours ago, Bullet said:

That's definitely a 2" spacer above your coil spring.

That is a 2 inch leveling kit. The easy solution is to pull those spaces out. Return to stock rake. Then the rear spacer is stock for 4WD I've got the same one on my truck. 

To do it right you need to change the control arms to get the geometry correct this will allow you to correct the caster angle. and the track bar should be replaced with adjustable bar. This will allow to set the thrust angle to ZERO again which 2 inch leveling kit will pull the axle to the driver side too much. 

You can see my rear block on the passenger side which is the same block your running.

DSCF4915.JPG

• Like 1