• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking at new/used RV's

So the family is wanting to get an RV, I have only ever heard generic advice or read articles from places trying to sell me things. 

So a list of my concerns and thoughts...

Pop outs. I have heard to avoid like the plague and I have heard that they can be decent. Other that slide grease, how does one prevent leaks? Are they worth the trouble? Maintenance of seals?

I'm leaning towards a 5'er, but self propelled and bumper pull are not out of the question. I would like the option to double tow if it isn't self propelled. Maybe an airstream? They seem to hold up for a long time and are built a lot like a rail car from what I have seen. Am I wrong?

I read on here something about condensation and the thin vs thick walls. In Louisiana, condensation issues simply are not an option. It drops below dew point almost nightly and average humidity tends to be between 60 and 70% frequently going into the 90's and 50's.

I know many people can get lazy with maintenance and leaks are far more common than they should be. I am inclined to walk away from anything that has had any leaks at all regardless of size. I'm guessing that is the smart stance? 

My mother and father had a 28' park model back in the 80's when they worked construction before children. We are leaning to another park model or 'destination' model as I've heard them called. Length/weight are not a huge concern so long as it stays below about 16k. 

Any answers or insight to those is appreciated. Tell me if I am being a complete maroon about some things. I've never had first hand experience with one.

I found the checklist that someone posted on here, that will be handy.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/264829.cfm

Probably l lots of dead links in above thread but your post covers alot of areas.  Link should get you started with some basics.  

For now, in your looking... what size of RV  is going to fit where you going to do most of your rv'ing at?  Just you and the misses or by yourself or you have children, makes a difference how many can sleep and how much storage etc.  What floor plan are you happy with. Rear kitchen, mid kitchen, rear kitchen. Etc...etc

• Like 1

Probably 30-40' or so. It would need to sleep 4 adults in reasonable comfort. Price limit of about the mid double digits, but less is better. Layout isn't that big of a factor.

Neighbor has a ~40' keystone 5'er. Not particularly impressed by it quality wise. A friend bought a newer 20' ultra lite. Already had issues within 2 months of ownership. Also not impressed by the quality. All the ones I have l personally seen at the local camping world look amazing but feel like they are made out of the absolute cheapest materials.

• Staff

Might have to be ready for doing a lot of work, but once done correctly you can end up with a better RV than new. My RV today (still making them) sells for over 49 k and it is just an all fiberglass clamshell truck camper. In 03 I paid only 23k, but the amount of work I had to do on it has been an on going project. With all the improvements I cannot afford to trade in for a new project and that's just about how rv's are right there.

Do the best you can to spot everything and even if you just suspect something go check it out. Older ones are better if taken care of, but keep in mind you might be buying a project, which mine has been even though bought new..... just don't buy a total loss of a covered up piece of junk, buy a decent project that's easy to start on :thumb1: and fun to work on.

Edited by JAG1

8 hours ago, That Guy said:

If your TV is 3/4 ton and your considering a 5th wheel be cautious of pin weight.  If yours is auto trans, they are not the strongest and exhaust brake sure comes in handy.  

Yes, quality and RV are 180 degrees apart sometimes.  If I was looking today for a new towable..grand design would be first on my list.  If used my choice if RV 5 yr old RV would be arctic fox, then any north woods brand, then jayco and a few others.  

Humidy... solved with dehumidifier.  Lousiana...I'd want 50 amp. So running 2 a/c not a problem with full hook ups. And load range e 16 inch USA made tires. Not china bombs.

Imo wife should have lots of input as most likely she'll be in love with her new doll house and outfit it to her likes.  So bear in mind after you buy there's lots are stuff to buy.  

When we were full timing camping world came in very handy as in over nighting not buying anything but over nighting.

(1 of your posts about the stock  markets)  While we no longer full time I  sure enjoy morning coffee and checking out the markets from her "doll house" most morning's.  

I am wary of china bombs. Neighbor has a gooseneck 6yd dump, I was getting a load of gravel after driving ~40 miles there, guy dumps the bucket and I hear a bang. The tire just completely blew with the weight. The other three were fine and all had been replaced within the last year or so. The loader said the in cab scale said about 5500lbs. This is the same neighbor with the Keystone. He had a blowout that tore up the side something fierce and also broke some wires..... and the propane line to the water heater.

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Might have to be ready for doing a lot of work, but once done correctly you can end up with a better RV than new. My RV today (still making them) sells for over 49 k and it is just an all fiberglass clamshell truck camper. In 03 I paid only 23k, but the amount of work I had to do on it has been an on going project. With all the improvements I cannot afford to trade in for a new project and that's just about how rv's are right there.

Do the best you can to spot everything and even if you just suspect something go check it out. Older ones are better if taken care of, but keep in mind you might be buying a project, which mine has been even though bought new..... just don't buy a total loss of a covered up piece of junk, buy a decent project that's easy to start on :thumb1: and fun to work on.

Older friend of mine (81 now) had a very nice mint condition 85 Pace Arrow Class A. Always parked under a carport and even had the tire blankets to prevent uv damage. I wish I would have bought it. Man was impeccable with maintenance. Had a very cool mural of a P51 on the side with the pilot starring eye level with truckers, got several comments over the CB about it. The whole paint scheme was like that, all sky colors, not the various tones of brown typical at the time. Picture an old disco van with bubble windows, but less psychedelic. 

• Like 1

• Owner

All i can say is Do Not Buy New...

If you do be prepared for lots of dealer visits. My buddy in Parma spent more time in the dealer than camping.

Like my Dad he bought new. There was over 20 visits to the dealer. Propane leak, roof issues, stereo and speaker problems, engine issues... 

Like myself I bought used and had very few issues with my Jaycp. Now owned it 10 years. Manufactured in 2000. So its 20 years old.

• Staff

It’s rough time to buy RV’s right now. Used prices are absurd and there isn’t a lot of new inventory. 

As far as brands I wouldn’t buy anything keystone. Jayco is a great middle of the road camper and hard to beat in terms of quality:price.

The Nash family of campers is my personal preference. That includes Northwood MFG (Nash, Arctic Fox, Fox Mountain, Snow River, Desert Fox, Wolf Creek) and Outdoors RV MFG. They have the best frames in the industry and are built for rugged camping. 

We’ve had a couple of TT’s and now have the 5th wheel. We prefer the 5th wheel but the TT’s were great too. I wouldn’t want a TT much longer than 32-34’. 

Buying new can have issues but what if you buy used and those issues weren’t addressed when new. We’ve bought both TT’s new and it wasn’t but a trip or two in for warranty work. The 5th wheel was used and there are a few things that should have been warranty work but it’s waaay to late now. 

Backwards plan from where you want to camp to what kind of RV you get. 

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

My 31 foot can be handful in poor weather or high winds.

What’s your tongue weight?

Our last TT was 30’ and it towed rock solid all the one. 70 mph with a 30-40 crosswind wasn’t a big deal, 1 finger driving. It ran 14-17% tongue weight thou. 

You guys are right about this not best time to buy an RV.  So guess who bought a used class C?  2011 with less than 16,000 miles and very nice but a lotta dough right now.  Wife's happy though.  Me?  Not so much. we are in Marana, AZ at her sis and 113* today.  Waaaaayy too hot for this ole PNW country boy!  So far the RV has been pretty good other than pretty gutless.  350 Ford chassis with a 5.4.  Wanted to weigh but never saw a closed scale when I was driving. 

Smaller than what you are wanting but I bought a new bumper pull Livinlite Toyhauler 2018.  Have not made long trips with it.  I use it for my fish wagon on a North OR coast river.  No longer built but ATC probably makes a passable (comparable)  model.  I have not had one issue with it although the dealer did tell me expect to since most come back at some point.  Good thing about this one is all aluminum and azdel (man made) interior.  NO wood.  No leaks as yet or anything which is most common issue it seems.  Not perfect as I would change some things on it but pretty happy with it.  Mostly posted to let you know not everyone has issues with new.0305181401.jpg.ef28cc4c90b5f75b46fda776ff04d475.jpg

At my hoped for camping spot near my fishing water.

Edited by Russ Roth
  • Like 4

My first 5th wheel was a 28 foot Dutchman, 2 slides. Never had much trouble out of it and the slides worked fine. Just not biolt to live likemwe used it. Traded it on 05 Cardinal with triple slides. No problem out of those either. The exterior doors for the crawlspace and propane tanks were junk.

• Like 1