• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sealing Vent Hatches on the RV Roof

• Staff

I just used Flex Seal on the RV's awning to replace the vinyl that was sun damaged and pealing.  I cut out the bad vinyl out, cleaned the area, masked off the area with painters tape, applied two coats of sealant 24 hours apart.  The first coat was applied with a brush for thick coverage with the next coat rolled on.  I may have to recoat it after 4-5 years.

Check "YouTube" for ideas.  There is one guy who used it on the roof of what looks like a tent trailer; it looks good after a year.  Another guy used it around his AC unit and it leaked; I think he should have replaced the AC seal. 

As for replacing the roof, Jag1 and I replaced the EPDM roof on my 25 foot 5er last year.  The cost was around $1,000 for all the material, new parts, and coffee. 

• Like 1

• Staff

IBMobile did my new heater core and evaporator. Replaced all the seals and parts to the AC system while we got started on his roof in my driveway. Before my AC never worked. It's nice knowing people that help like that.

So many on this forum have helped so much over the years. W-T needs mentioning...... how he significantly reduced the damaging AC ripple to our trucks, helping so many around the globe.

• Staff

I would like someone that has some Flex Seal to do small a test. If you could place a thick layer applied on a piece of glass, after it has cured go ahead and peel it off and then see how easy it tears or is very tough. This I would like to know. If its really a great product it won't peel easily and will be very tough to tear or pull apart. Be interesting to know.... I'm all eyes and ears.

• Like 1

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

When I sealed around our vents and other roof opening I used eterna-bond tape.  Worked good around anything with a flange of some sort. The stuff I used was 4" wide I believe. They make it in different sizes to suit your needs.

I like that because it allows for making a very neat tidy job. However, after many years in the sunlight I have seen the vinyl surface tape curl.  I prefer a good sealant, brushing it back and forth, helping to work it into the surface. I use masking tape to keep a straight line around each vent while doing the brushing.

2 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

I have a can of clear flex seal spray.  No glass   Maybe like the bottom of a glass jar ???

Ok I found a clear one quart glass jar with smooth bottom.  Shook up can real  well . Does not say drying time    Report later

After about 2-2:5 hours and it’s not totally cured for sure. I some  how don’t think your going to peel it off.  Time will tell

1 minute ago, Turbo Terry said:

After about 2-2:5 hours and it’s not totally cured for sure. I some  how don’t think your going to peel it off.  Time will tell

I think on a clean roof so it sticks  down good it might be a  good product.  Clear and white I think Black ? Spray can and brush. Home Depot and or Lowe’s now carry’s it I think

• Like 1

• Staff

Want to see if it sticks to glass real good and then try tearing the membrane after peeled off to see if it has a lot of stretch/ strength before tearing. Two real good signs if good. :thumb1:

• Owner

The RV dealer I got my RV from had done a few repairs with Eternal Bond and sadly to say it did not work I had to pick all that off and reseal it with white silicone which stop the entire leak. Right at the corner of the slide where the trim met at the corner and the water would weep past the Eternal Bond. When I repaired it I clean all the old Eternal Bond and butyl rubber and then injected the silicone right into the corner. Never leaked again. Just like all the marker lights on top same thing Eternal bond and water weeped past the sealant and started delam on the front and rear ends. Now resealed with silicone no longer an issue. 

I know most of you say no silicone. But it does work and hold up much longer. So far I've used Dicor roof sealants (JUNK!) I've got to re do my roof all over again because it only last a mere 2 to 3 years and now peeling off. @JAG1even suggested poly urethane seals for the next time for resealing the roof.  

57 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I know most of you say no silicone. But it does work and hold up much longer. So far I've used Dicor roof sealants (JUNK!) I've got to re do my roof all over again because it only last a mere 2 to 3 years and now peeling off. @JAG1even suggested poly urethane seals for the next time for resealing the roof.  

Did you re seal the entire roof with Dicor, and if so did you do the two part system with the pre cleaner, just wondering as I’m getting ready to re seal my roof, it’s showing signs of weather cracking and discolored, just want to get at it before it gets to bad 

• Staff
9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I got the wash for the roof. Then the primer for the roof then the coating itself which like I said in 2 to 3 years started peeling off. I highly suggest talking to @JAG1 about a better product.

Only thing I know is when doing a study on types of sealant, whether made into a coating or caulking, it is the polyeurathane (sp.) base types that have the best performance. Looking at topside paints for boats(very exposed to the elements) and roof coatings for high rise buildings, The polyeurathane was the most money and performed the best. I tend to want to avoid a lot of the DIY products so readily available. Commercial roofing supply houses are great places for info. I have talked with a few high rise roofing contractors about various products but have no other information other than to talk with a few suppliers.

Edited by JAG1
  • Thanks 1