• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High EGTs when towing

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's a pressure line that's what pushes waste gate open, and the spring inside the wastegate is what pushes back to close it.

So clamping the line off should stop the wastegate from functioning. Correct?

So if it is my boost fooler that's fine. Im going to go ahead and order a quadzilla so i have something i can work with. In the meantime i will build me a boost leak tester and make sure i have no leaks. All my couplers and clamps are new so i think they're ok. I will check back in on this thread in a week or so and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions. 

On 11/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Like @NIsaacs said maybe 28 I was just judging from my 60hp injectors I had, even on level 0 I could have swore it went to 30s 

You can put a plug in turbo housing where the elbow is just to see if you get higher boost, if not then maybe your wastegate is not fully closed.

I can't stand the stock setting so I never use it,  so yes, I can't remember either.:)

So I did an unscientific test yesterday. With Edge Juice on stock/level 0, I checked the numbers on an empty trip with my dump.  First hill in 6th, at 1800 rpm, I went wot for about 30 seconds. Max boost, 24 psi and EGT's 1070 at 1700 rpm. Second hill, I dropped to 5th, went wot for about 30 seconds. Max boost 30 psi and EGT's 1260 at 2500 rpm.

So my boost fooler works on stock setting. This is with RV injectors and K27 turbo.

So on stock setting it needs RPM to develop any power or boost but EGT's go up. After I loaded, I went to level 2/tow and on a small hill in 6th at 1800 rpm I went wot for about 20 seconds, 32 psi boost immediately and 1250 EGT's at 1900 rpm.

I picked up 12 yards of mulch.

1104200936.jpg

• Like 1

OK, got the adrenaline installed, had DAP set up my 7x.009 SAC injectors at 320 BAR, truck runs much smoother. Copied over DD tune from V2 article for test run and have to say its a crazy difference. Still trying to understand what everything is in the custom tuning but I'm figuring it out. Did find a boost leak at the first coupler, bubbled pretty good at 20psi, fixed that and cranked it up to 40psi and that blew the plastic cap out of my homemade boost leak tester, its tight now. Ran it down the road and easily hit 40psi of boost according to my data log, stuff happens so fast I don't have time to look at gauges, good thing it logs data. It did log a peak EGT of 1375* but I did forget to turn on my defuel setting which is at 1250*. Just want to say thanks to those that helped me out, I have been looking at the Adrenaline for a while just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$, glad I did. One thing I did figure out is DAP is about 5 minutes up the road and they are very helpful. Oh, and don't do initial test drive on wet roads because once it takes off you lose all traction.

One issue I do have though and I haven't called DAP yet, when I have my high idle set with a 30 second delay and my warm up mode on to 120* as soon as it kicks the idle up the truck shuts down and sets a MAP sensor code. I have to un-plug the MAP sensor to get it to start again. If I don't run warm up mode it is fine. Anybody have this happen?

• Owner
1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Oh, and don't do initial test drive on wet roads because once it takes off you lose all traction.

Very important not to try and build a power tune when its wet or icy. Very dangerous mix. I'm actually now tuned down to level 2 and my Daily Driver tune is very aggressive on the down low and if there is any water or ice the game is totally over the tires spin easy. @Wet Vette seen that on my last trip to Lewiston, ID. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

One issue I do have though and I haven't called DAP yet, when I have my high idle set with a 30 second delay and my warm up mode on to 120* as soon as it kicks the idle up the truck shuts down and sets a MAP sensor code. I have to un-plug the MAP sensor to get it to start again. If I don't run warm up mode it is fine. Anybody have this happen?

Also don't want to run high idle if there is the ECM software enabled. If your using the Mopar1973Man high idle kit you should shut off the Quadzilla High idle. 

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

Make sure you don't have OEM high idle enabled.  that's what it sounds like.

My truck don't have OEM high idle

I have never had any high idle. My Banks brake usually closes when cold to assist in warm-up but I disconnected the wire for that.

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Also don't want to run high idle if there is the ECM software enabled.  

What do you mean here?

• Owner

If the Cummins ECM software is enabled you can't run the Quadzilla High Idle too. The two system tend to get in conflict and then stall out the engine. I typically turn off the Quadzilla high idle in the winter time and use the Mopar1973Man High Idle switch. This way I still can control high idle for the Cummins ECM and just shut off the Quadzilla. There is NO WAY to shut off the ECM software once its enabled. You would have to go to a dealer and have your ECM reflashed to disable the high idle function.

All about that system...

Apparently my high idle has never been turned on. My grandpa bought this truck new in 2000 and I am the only person that has ever worked on it other than a new overdrive by the dealer when still under warranty. When I first got the adrenaline installed it did work a couple times but I wasn't running V2. Maybe I will go set it back to original Adrenaline software and see what happens. 

Stand by

OK scratch the warm-up mode comment. Was apparently just some random thing that happened while I still had it in the shop. Works fine now on old setting and on V2. Weird. 

I will let you know how the original EGT problem pans out as soon as I tow my trailer again. Maybe I will go tow my buddy's skid steer just to try it out. 

Once I get my tow tune set up anyway

• Like 1