• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Changed turbo and exhaust manifold - now I have white smoke under acceleration

41 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Gotta ask how did you tighten the injectors? Crossover tubes first then the hold downs on top of the injectors. You could have a crossover tube not sealing.

wow that was awhile ago almost 2 years, i don’t remember.

I followed the procedure in an article here to the t.

• Like 2

• Staff

I think DAP may not be responsible for all work done to the parts they sell, but I think if a problem exists they won't just sweep it under the shop mat. I think they will take care of you. Waiting to hear :popcorn:

As to emergency engine shut down..... would it be wise to have a ball shut off valve on the oil supply tube that runs to the turbo hub bearings? A smart way of installing a pull cable so you can shut the valve without going near 'world war three' would be great. Would it work though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I think DAP may not be responsible for all work done to the parts they sell, but I think if a problem exists they won't just sweep it under the shop mat. I think they will take care of you. Waiting to hear :popcorn:

As to emergency engine shut down..... would it be wise to have a ball shut off valve on the oil supply tube that runs to the turbo hub bearings? A smart way of installing a pull cable so you can shut the valve without going near 'world war three' would be great. Would it work though?

If I did something wrong I’m prepared to take responsibility for it.  But if there was a defect in the turbo they should take responsibility for it.  It is under warranty.

5 hours ago, leety said:

I followed the procedure in an article here to the t.

That article has it backwards. Step 7 says tighten the injector and then step 10 says tighten the crossover. It should be changed. I mentioned it before but it's still backwards.

Edited by dave110
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dave110 said:

That article has it backwards. Step 7 says tighten the injector and then step 10 says tighten the crossover. It should be changed. I mentioned it before but it's still backwards.

I may have done this the right way.  I always research the hell out of everything I do to make sure I have all the possible info before I jump into stuff.

It seems you would want to seat the injector into the crossover tube so to you have a good purchase/seal there before you tighten down the crossover tube.  That's more than likely how I would have thought it through just becuase it makes sense.

I have to drive it some more.  I just took a short run down the mountain and back yesterday.  If it keeps blowing white smoke and that isn't there from just sitting and oil being introduced into the engine and exhaust pipe I will have more troubleshooting to do clearly.  That's a good place to start.

It didn't have any white smoke before I changed the turbo and exhaust manifold, but it did have black smoke so that could have been cloaking an issue like this.

The Exhaust manifold was leaking so anything is possible at this point.

• Like 1

I think if you had a cross over tube not seated at install you would have long since seen a issue from that. 

IIRC on that drive you took you thought the smoke was diminishing, If so just drive some more and see if it diminishes more. Could just be burning off what oil was in the exhaust pipe.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dripley said:

I think if you had a cross over tube not seated at install you would have long since seen a issue from that. 

IIRC on that drive you took you thought the smoke was diminishing, If so just drive some more and see if it diminishes more. Could just be burning off what oil was in the exhaust pipe.

Yes that's my theory.  I'll get it out on the open highway this week and we'll see how it fairs.

So for it seems like my theory is sound.

Truck is working better than ever and virtually no smoke, of any flavor, coming out while driving.

Seems all is well.

So now for more fun, now to set up the Quadzilla.  And then at some point I'll get the upgrade turbo when I get that one back from DAP and be able to do a scientific caparison, all things being equal and measurable, except the turbo.

Let the good times roll!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I think your getting it figured out. It is so cool the way you are so thorough to double check everything before jumping in. That says a lot about you. :USflag:

To me it’s all part of the fun of learning.  I’m also not trying to break stuff lol

• Like 1

• Staff

If I'm ever looking for another truck I'll be calling to see if yours is up for sale :thumb1:

I really enjoy doing the work on mine and take the time to make up for all the garbage work done in the past.  The more I skip those guys do my own job well done, the better I feel. Matter of fact, even if I had a bad case of Covid, I'd probably still be dancin around my truck if it wasn't raining out there. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

If I'm ever looking for another truck I'll be calling to see if yours is up for sale :thumb1:

I really enjoy doing the work on mine and take the time to make up for all the garbage work done in the past.  The more I skip those guys do my own job well done, the better I feel. Matter of fact, even if I had a bad case of Covid, I'd probably still be dancin around my truck if it wasn't raining out there. :lol:

ikr These trucks are way too much fun.  

• Like 2

Got the beasty out on the highway today for a few hour run.  All good.

It runs better than it has since I purchased it.  Better than it has since I've owned it.  The cracked manifold must have been contributing to the black smoke, becuase there's basically no smoke any more.

The turbo appears to be acting like it should.  I used to get over boost errors if I kept my foot in it too long with the boost up, but that's no happening any more.

Next thing is the Quad.

Edited by leety
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, leety said:

Got the beasty out on the highway today for a few hour run.  All good.

It runs better than it has since I purchased it.  Better than it has since I've owned it.  The cracked manifold must have been contributing to the black smoke, becuase there's basically no smoke any more.

The turbo appears to be acting like it should.  I used to get over boost errors if I kept my foot in it too long with the boost up, but that's no happening any more.

Next thing is the Quad.

Is the white smoke clearing up?

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup drop the Quad in and im going and doing some new testing myself more for MPG purpose. I've got a different idea for the fuel map.

Cool I’m heading out for a few days.  I will be interested in learning about that. I’m going go for best mpg so every bit helps.

Edited by leety
  • Like 1

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man, I am very suspect if this time. If you send me a quad with this tune loaded I will try it and report back. :lmao:

Seriously, sounds like your on to something, good job! If I ever decide to pull the trigger on a quad I will definitely ask for your advise on which tune would be best to start with for my setup at the time. All that tech stuff just seems to be over my head.

• Like 1