• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I believe it's time for a new dash

I've been avoiding spending money on a dash, but it seems that my fiberglass job from 6-7  years :think: ago is starting to fall apart. Been looking at Geno's and LMC also my bezel seen better days too so I'll be getting that at same time. I know @dripley used LMC and said he liked it, how do you like it now? Still happy and all? 

By the time I put dash and bezel in checkout with shipping from LMC to my door, estimate is $418 Seems pretty steep for some plastic and not even sure if LMC is plastic or abs or whatever it's made out of, looks like good reviews thought. I wanted to try some sort of leather or fake leather and glue it on top of the dash to keep it all together, but seems like by the time I'll spend money on material and labor I'll be better off just getting new dash. 

Feel free to post your findings with whatever dashes you went with, I'm not interested with top covers, I'll be replacing the entire dash. @JAG1 feel free to hijack. 

Added some pictures here, my old repair and almost forgot I'll be drilling some holes in the new one :cry: oh well I like my gauges enough I don't mind. post-1102-0-30240700-1422214629_thumb.jpgpost-1102-0-85369600-1422214642_thumb.jpgpost-1102-0-60175500-1422214663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture
Pictures
  • Haha 1

I replaced my dash in November of 2012 which means my OE lasted  11 years. That also means my LMC has just over 9 years and not a crack in it yet. So far it is out performing the OE hands down. I did splurge on mine and by some washers they offered that go under the screws at the windshield. For what the dash 25 buck more seemed like cheap insurance. It still looks like it when I installed. If the color faded I cant tell it. At that time I paid about $300 for that and then bought the bezel just couple years ago and as I remember for about $200. Maybe buying them together saves some cash since I am into mine for more like $500.  

As far as satisfaction with the products go, Five stars here for both. I have purchased a few other things from LMC over the years and it all seems to be very good quality.  

As far as personal satisfaction goes, I got 20 more HP out of both. :whistle: Add that to the 10hp each for a new brake and clutch pedal pad and I damn near dont need a tuner.:lmao:

Looking over that new dash was and is still exceptional and not having duct tape holding the bezel on and silicone holding together is priceless. A lot of cash to outlay but worth it to me.

I know nothing of the Genos product to pass any kind of opinion on it. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dripley said:

Maybe buying them together saves some cash since I am into mine for more like $500

They had different options for bezel, one with vents for $180 and without for $80 my vents are fine, I'll reuse them. Dash is $260 then it says +20 just because and like $60 shipping. Plus tax I think. You may be right, I might save on shipping buying both together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

They had different options for bezel, one with vents for $180 and without for $80 my vents are fine, I'll reuse them. Dash is $260 then it says +20 just because and like $60 shipping. Plus tax I think. You may be right, I might save on shipping buying both together.

I see the big difference now. When I bought mine I did not see an offer of the bezel with out the vents so I had to buy mine with the vents. They sell them for like 20 bucks apiece. So I have spares. I did notice the OE ones dont snap it in near as tight as the new ones that came with it. But If I had seen the one without vents I would have bought that one instead. There is nothing wrong with my vents either. Your going to love looking over that new stuff every time you get in. I still do, even the pedal pads.

I should add that I have done special to the pad since I installed it. I used to armor all the OE one. But with the dust on the job it is nothing but a magnet so I just wipe them off with wet shop rag. Cleans it well and does not attract the dust like Armor all.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Staff

I installed an LMC dash in January; not hard to install and fit like a glove.  Watch there video for how to but I did mine like dripley did by dropping the upper steering column and letting the steering wheel rest on the seat, removing the screws that are next to the windshield, remove the screws that hold the vents to the dash.  loosen the bolts on the sides and pivot the dash.  The top of my lower dash assembly started to brake also so I used generous amounts of JB Weld Quick to reinforce the weak points.  Install new dash pad, screw vents to pad, rotate dash to fire wall, screw dash to fire wall tighten side bolts and refit steering column.

Note: for trucks with auto transmissions remove the cable for the trans position indicator from the steering column before lowering the column to prevent braking it.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

If the color faded I cant tell it.

That's because chickens are color blind.    

• Like 3

I used the Geno's dash for some reason. Considering I drive past LMC to drop the kids off at daycare it really makes no sense! Anyway, the Geno's has been in my truck for a couple years, so hard to judge. The fit was good, I believe I did have to trim somewhere where they said it would be possible. Great instructions.

Of course I had to paint/dye it to Agate Gray. I should have bought two cans instead of one. I give myself a C- at best on the results. I think I used Color Bond.

6 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Of course I had to paint/dye it to Agate Gray

Part of the reason I'm leaning towards lmc, sounds like no need to paint with dark gray, hopefully it'll be close enough. Plus they say they put something special in the plastic to make it last longer too, I suppose I can paint it if I choose, but I'm hoping it'll be a close enough match. I never cared to paint plastic, seems to wear off after a while anyway. 

11 minutes ago, LorenS said:

I used the Geno's dash for some reason. Considering I drive past LMC to drop the kids off at daycare it really makes no sense! Anyway, the Geno's has been in my truck for a couple years, so hard to judge. The fit was good, I believe I did have to trim somewhere where they said it would be possible. Great instructions.

Of course I had to paint/dye it to Agate Gray. I should have bought two cans instead of one. I give myself a C- at best on the results. I think I used Color Bond.

I did not have to paint mine. It was the factory color. I guess another plus for the LMC. Not sure they offered any other colors. Never looked beyond what I needed.

@Dieselfuture If there is any color difference between the LMC and the rest, it so minimal you wont notice it. At least 9 years ago anyway.

Edited by dripley

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

I did not have to paint mine. It was the factory color. I guess another plus for the LMC. Not sure they offered any other colors. Never looked beyond what I needed.

It looks like they offer 3 colors, I'm looking at 56-7411-DG dark gray. 

How do I know what I have, it looks like dark gray to me

7 minutes ago, dripley said:

@Dieselfuture If there is any color difference between the LMC and the rest, it so minimal you wont notice it. At least 9 years ago anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with LMC, not that Geno's isn't good, just LMC makes them and Geno's gets them, for all I know from LMC

I did this with the LMC a few months ago, Here’s a thread from the install that might help

I should have got the bezel too, mine wasn’t cracked until I removed it, I should have expected that with the 20 year old plastic 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

just LMC makes them and Geno's gets them

LMC is a big warehouse.  They don't make anything, but like Geno's they may have things made FOR them.  I didn't know much about the LMC units when I bought mine, so really liked the idea of the ABS plastic Geno's version.  I knew at the time all I wanted was something SO DIFFERENT from the OEM model that there was no way I'd have the same problems with it cracking!  Knowing what I know now, I'd likely buy the LMC version if cost was the same, especially if I didn't have to paint it and cost was similar.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LorenS said:

LMC is a big warehouse.  They don't make anything

They made it sound like they did in description, saying we blend this and that to keep it stronger, bla, bla, bla but yeah if color is close and no need to paint or trim to fit, I'm thinking I'm going with them. Time to blow some money :spend: still better then a payment on a vehicle.

• Like 4