• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv4500 getting harder to get into gear

FWIW I removed mine and tied the wires together 15 years ago. This was the first stick I ever owned with that safety switch on the clutch.  All the others I had relied on your brain.

And I should add after seeing the cost of said switch I decided it was not needed.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 3

That switch is expensive and I'm sure if I had a manual and it failed it would be in the bin, I remember 40 odd years ago doing my apprenticeship.... HGV mechanic, the workshop foreman was servicing a 1971 Foden 8 wheeled tipper truck, it was over the service pit with the tipping body up maybe 3 cans (sections of tipping ram)  door in front was open all the way but not as high as the tipper body, Foden S38's had a Gardner 6 cylinder diesel, renown for low rpm but huge torque, foreman reached in to start it, didn't realise it was in 1st gear (16 speed Fuller box) with park brake OFF, it fired up and off it went VERY slowly, the front of the tipper body hit the roof of the building and it still kept going, the 2 front axles were over 8 ft off the ground before the rear wheels started to loose traction, still kept ticking over jumping and bucking against the roof,  One of the guys was underneath in the pit he'd just started to change a rear spring, his cantilever tool box got squashed but he didn't luckily

One of the guys climbed up the frame to the back of the cab and pulled the stop cable, it slowly came back down on it's own due to engine compression.

Sorry for the off topic but without the switch a dumbass is dangerous and this guy was the foreman :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have to add one from the dumb *** switch part. I had heard stories that you could back up against a wall and let clutch out and the Cummins would just sit and spin the tires. So once at work a year or 2 after disabling mine. I had a reason to reach in my drivers window to fire the truck off, guess I thought it was out of gear. But it was in reverse and off she went. I was parked in front of 30yard dumpster partially filled and the trailer hitch hit it and pushed it along the asphalt into the dirt. When the rear of the dumpster mired up in the dirt and stopped the rear wheels were spinning on the asphalt. 

As Forrest Gump would say, Stupid is as stupid does. But it was pretty cool to see the tires spinning like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@dripley, you might not have known it at the time, but the gremlins probably came out of the electrical wires for a few minutes and were laughing at you.  You were given a chance to catch them, but no, you were probably all focused on where your truck was heading.

I actually installed a clutch safety switch on my tractor just to protect myself from doing the very same thing.  It was always tempting to just reach over and start the engine while standing beside the tractor.   Now I have to sit in the seat and depress the clutch pedal to start the engine.  The switch has kept me out of trouble. 

- John

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

you might not have known it at the time, but the gremlins probably came out of the electrical wires for a few minutes and were laughing at you.  You were given a chance to catch them, but no, you were probably all focused on where your truck was heading.

Actually there were 4 or 5 guys standing around when happened and they were laughing pretty good as I remember. Not a smart on my part but it was pretty entertaining.

20 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

I have a few old tractors with no safety switches what so ever. If I start one while standing beside it I was taught to ALWAYS "shake hands" with it first. Grab the shifter and shake to be sure she's in neutral. It has become a habit. Even if on the seat, clutch depressed I still do it. 

That is something I  normally do but that day I just reached in the window with no hand shake. Had to learn that one on my own since I am the only member in family that has almost always had a stick. The last stick any one in my had was a Pinto. That was ways back.

My worst was my 71 Roadrunner 440, the one with the big B shaped bumper parked on a slope, shifter in N, reached in to pull the bonnet catch, got the park brake instead, rolled straight into the back of my Landrover, I even had 10ft trying to stop it by hanging off the door.... not happening, didn't mark the L/R at all, pushed the brand new imported from the USA bumper into the fender and creased it, never mind as 3 days later the brook flooded alongside my workshop and it was in 4ft of water, insurance paid out 16K for that... never seen it since, insurance asked about the fender damage.... I said it must have floated into the workshop wall

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Staff

Well, it's official. I got the call yesterday, I am laid off for at least 2 weeks. Time to get some things done at home. Clutch parts will arrive today and I also ordered a new base with valves and such for the toilet in our camper. Unrelated but I'll have that today also. There's 2 projects already. 

If the weather will cooperate I should be able to get alot done.

Back on topic, my grandpa was working on his farmall H when he learned the hand shake. He hit the starter button and sent it through the back of the barn. He's the one that taught me the hand shake. I see why. Lol. He passed away when I was about 12, I spent alot of time out here on the farm when I was young, I loved it. I try to remember everything I learned from him. As I get older it all.makes more sense but I also have a harder time remembering everything to. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Staff

I appreciate it guys. I'm not worried about the layoff much. I should be fine financially. Once I got back to work after my knee surgery we padded our saving back up to where it was prior to surgery so should be good. 

I could actually use a little off time to get some things done here at home.

• Like 4

• Staff

Got the master and slave installed. Had to clean up the line end at the slave a bit, it was a little corroded. Bench bleed everything like in @Mopar1973Man's video but still had air in the line somehow. Unbolted the master and hung the reservoir from the hood, removed the slave and cycled the slave to bleed air out. That worked like a charm. Reinstalled everything and clutch feels great! Will do a test drive after lunch. 

Old master was definitely leaking a bit, had the oem plastic slave on it still. Replaced both with metal pieces. 

I'm curious..... why the big deal on bleeding these, every clutch I've ever bled is one on the pedal and one on the bleed nipple and a lot of "down... down.....up....up...... down....down...... up.....up     ok jobs a fish all good, whats different here enlighten me, did the dumb sh~~s put the bleed nipple on the underside of the slave or somat... what!