• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Random charging and not charging.

• Owner

I been working on The Beast to get it running once again. So far every time I offer to take Eileen anywhere for dinner the truck stopped charging. No joke. Then come back the next day fire it up and runs and charges fine. I drove up the highway to to friends places to show off the truck a bit and give aid with projects. Then Sunday night tried a repeat. Eileen comes to jump in and just as I leave the driveway the check gauges pops back on and charging stopped again. I did run the codes off the odometer really quick last night. 

P1682 and P1389 if I remember correctly. 

P1682 is low charging voltage

P1389 is a ASD relay no power seen from PCM. (Bad ASD relay?)

Truck is getting jealous?

No joke, my uncle had an AMX when he was much younger, that wouldn't run when my uncles then girlfriend would be in the car. Coughing, sputtering, low power, the works. gets my dad to come and drive it, works fine. I think my dad even had my uncles girlfriend get in and it did exactly what it did before my dad got there.

Could the alternator be starting to head out?

What does the ASD actually control? I know it stands for Auto Shut Down relay, but people have pulled it with the truck running and the truck stayed running.. :shrug:    

• Owner

So after lunch I went out and started it up and no charging. I remember the error code for the ASD relay so I swapped with the ASD relay it started charging. Weird.

Drove 30 miles to Riggins and back stopped at few friends and came home. No issues.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner

The best I can say in the ASD relay either had bad contacts inside or the plug in the PDC was a bit corroded from moisture and standing a while. I'm going to be working on getting the pine pitch of the windshield and waxing the paint up. Gotta make it shine again and look good. Finally got my wish a good 2006 Dodge for a work truck and then retire the 2002 to the weekend warrior hauling trailers (wood haul, RV or both!)

Just talking to another buddy about getting firewood this weekend I might get super smart and haul the RV up the mountain near the spot and just camp out while wood hauling. Be right in the area then then just truck the pile home back and forth. Be able to get up early and start cutting quicker in the cool of the morning. 

• Like 2

• Owner

As for the charging system I've made a short down the road to a neighbors place and jump started there Honda Van and brought the van to the house. Then walked back and got the truck no problem charging at 13.9 volts this morning. 

As for warning labels... Just the last few I remember... Social media bringing out the stupid people. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumption_of_Tide_Pods

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_challenge

just Google it there is plenty of "stupid sheeple"... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

For sure it was the ASD relay for the charging issue. I just hauled my RV out to Smokey Boulder and grabbed a camping spot last night near where I'll be cutting wood. The whole trip out with the truck no issues charging. Just weird that PCM controls the ASD and it controls the Alternator. 

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just weird that PCM controls the ASD and it controls the Alternator. 

Is it possible then that an ASD Relay can fail in the closed position and cause the alternator to overheat?

• Owner
Just now, JAG1 said:

Is it possible then that an ASD Relay can fail in the closed position and cause the alternator to overheat?

I don't think so. When the ASD failed on mine is was NOT charging at all but the was a ASD relay code as well. After swapping it started charging again. 

Your and mine failed the same way the armature shorted out. The created a ton of heat with the short and then in my case it ate the PCM with a massive hole through the PCM. My alternator was about 400*F when I pulled it out. 

• Thanks 1