• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It's Getting Worse Out there......

JAG1

1 minute ago, Doubletrouble said:

@Dieselfuture, how did a small hydrogen generator help fuel milage? Did you switch from gas to H2 completely for several miles or add the H2 to the gasoline?? Just curious.

No, I made a what they call a wet cell, plumbed it in the intake and had a toggle switch to activate it. I believe it was  7 ss plates spaced out with rubber gaskets. I hung it lower than the water tank so it naturally was full with water and then the gas tube came out back to the water tank, like a bubbler/bong from there it went to the intake. I'll go see if I can find it, it's someplace in garage.

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Very cool! I don't know how it all works but it's interesting to see someone could make one at home.

I just made the simplest wet cell I could think off, there are way better and more complicated set ups there. It is cool when you put water in the tank and put juice to it it starts to make hydrogen that actually light on fire. I played with it in garage before installing it on the car it was fun.

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Yes, very cool. So Hydrogen won't work on a diesel because it's ignited by compression and not spark is that right?

Where can I go to learn about this?

No probably not, could maybe aid in burn :shrug: I watched some me stuff on YouTube back in the day, haven't looked at it lately.

Someone many years ago had a Duramax with compressed natural gas, I think, in the diesel power challenge. Got 43 mpg if I'm remembering correctly.. I'm sure the hydrogen could be pumped in to the intake similarly. Just make sure the intake heaters are off when running hydrogen, don't need anyone doing a Hindenburg re-enactment.

• Sad 1

• Staff

When looking at the various options, it sounds to me hydrogen may present itself to be a better solution. Perhaps affording also enough energy to recharge needed batteries while traveling. Avoiding rolling Blackouts by overtaxing our electrical grids. Also not relying on more aggressive countries that have Hunter employed... what a huge conflict of interest Hunter and Joe may have in all this green sceem. I needs to be looked into. Just like the vax jabs and booster jabs for the rest of our lives. Big money corrupts.

What they do is read Diesefuture's posts and go, ''that's a good idea for the next pallet load of money''.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Avoiding rolling Blackouts by overtaxing our electrical grids.

It take electricity to separate the H₂ from H₂O.  Depending on the technique used to extract the hydrogen the electrical consumption per kilogram of product is between 39.4kW-h and 65kW-h ¹ .  This power has to come from the electrical grid.

¹.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

• Thanks 1

• Staff
9 hours ago, IBMobile said:

It take electricity to separate the H₂ from H₂O.  Depending on the technique used to extract the hydrogen the electrical consumption per kilogram of product is between 39.4kW-h and 65kW-h ¹ .  This power has to come from the electrical grid.

¹.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water

So I had no idea.... it's not something you can accomplish from a high out put alternator?

9 hours ago, JAG1 said:

So I had no idea.... it's not something you can accomplish from a high out put alternator?

That's how I ran it with a regular alternator. But once again it didn't run on hydrogen it aid a bit in mpg, and I could have sworn the oil stayed cleaner longer. Almost like the engine ran smother and didn't work as hard, this probably only applies on hwy cruising as you don't need much to keep moving.

• Like 1

• Owner
19 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Depending on the technique used to extract the hydrogen the electrical consumption per kilogram of product is between 39.4kW-h and 65kW-h ¹ .

10 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Our alternators can produce... 14.5 volts x 140 Amp DC = 2,030 watts. You would need 32.5 alternators mounted to your Cummins. Just to make enough H2 make it worth your while.

• Sad 1

• Staff

It's too bad oil is getting a bad rap, it's been good to us, still is, for many decades. Ultimately electrical demand will exceed supply and many will be able to enjoy the cheaper oil prices in other parts of the world. When things get like this you may be able to buy a special use permit for diesel. It will be expensive.

I think Dripley is hiding from us because he's running around in a Prius or one of them Smart cars. Dan may have a picture. LOL

36 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

It's too bad oil is getting a bad rap, it's been good to us, still is, for many decades. Ultimately electrical demand will exceed supply and many will be able to enjoy the cheaper oil prices in other parts of the world. When things get like this you may be able to buy a special use permit for diesel. It will be expensive.

I think Dripley is hiding from us because he's running around in a Prius or one of them Smart cars. Dan may have a picture. LOL

I wonder what emissions our diesel would put out if we used straight vegetable oil that's renewable

• Owner
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wonder what emissions our diesel would put out if we used straight vegetable oil that's renewable

:rolleyes:

Every time someone looks at another fuel you have to remember...

• Any fuel will create CO2 and CO emissions.
  • Fuels with the least amount of emissions will most likely be lower in BTU content. Can't get lower emissions with a high BTU fuel.

Just look at the ethanol fuel. Its just a mere 85,000 BTUs per gallon vs 120,000 BTU's per gallon for unleaded gasoline. Just like the more BioFuel you add to diesel it reduces the BTU content as well. Personally I say ditch the renewable fuels and biofuel go back to petroleum fuels and make the engine more efficient in design. 

Here is BTU content for each fuel...

image.png

• Thanks 1

• Staff
14 hours ago, JAG1 said:

A 2.0 liter four stroke gas engine running at 2000 RPM intakes 2000 liters of air per minute.  For a one tenth of one percent (00.1%) per minute of H₂ addition to the air charge 2 liter of hydrogen would have to be produced every minute.  

(RPM/2 · displacement) · .001 = H₂ needed for 00.1% enrichment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was more or less saying instead of getting rid of so called "fossil fuels" which is another lie and jumping on ev bandvagon I'd rather burn corn oil that's renewable and still drive my truck vs not driving it it at all. Sure for newer vehicles making them more efficient is the way to go, which is already happening, I'm just not ready to give up what I have after putting so much time in it. But I guess it'll be decided for us like anything else in this crazy world.

• Like 1

• Staff

It really boils down to being all about the money. You should see this county magizine they just put out... pictures of the county commissioners all big smiles, everything written to describe how much they are doing for the county, what huge sums of money they are spending on various 'improvements'. All I see is a the ruination of a place that used to be uncongested, had clean air, was a nice place to live.

Now anyone can see the direction they are heading... higher taxes more overdevelopement with the usual congestion. Everything heading the same direction California has which drives many folks to move away to other states. There's no police enforcement, people drive like nut cases. Higher taxes, people clear cutting their forest land everywhere giving them enough money to subdivide and sell off building lots. The place is getting raped all for money when for years it used to be a nice quiet clean good place to raise a family. This bonanza for developement and cash is driving down the quality of life we had for many years until they got wonderful idea to develope every stick of land. Soon my taxes will go so high I will be clear cutting and sell off lots. It almost like, hey they already screwed the place why don't we jump in on the bonanza too. Problem is everything gets very expensive and the bucks you made don't do what they thought and then life becomes an unsimplified mess just trying to go for groceries.

There is really no way to control the climate it's going to do what it does. I do know when driving into my place on hot days its always around 5-7 degrees cooler, even in sun, because of what my trees do for us.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1