• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard starts in the morning (losing prime)

• Owner

Yeah even myself I'm also fighting the hard start in the mornings because of loss of prime in the fuel system. I'll admit when I did the head gasket last time I notices the crossover tubes and the injectors went in rather easy without much force. What I've done so far is change the crossover tube o-rings. I've just ordered a set of o-rings for the injector bodies. I ordered a second set for extras to have on hand for customer rigs. 

I just rolled Beast back into the shop and started doing an inspection of the head area for weeping and appears to be dry. I really need to roll the power washer out and give the engine a good washing down with degreaser from all the scattered oil and fluids. Get a bbetter picture of what is actually leaking or not. 

My morning starts have been long winded and rough starting. Lots of white smoke but once the lines are cleared it starts good all day long with no smoke or anything. Yeah I need to just put the wrench time on my own truck now. 

• Owner

Waiting on the injector body o-ring to come from @dieselautopower... Soon as they come I'm going to change all those o-rings. This morning to get the truck started it was getting rather tough. Grid heater working fine but when the fuel pressure gauge sits at ZERO as your cranking I know there is air in the fuel system. Stand by I'll keep you all posted. 

• Like 2

• Staff
On 12/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, IBMobile said:

Sounds like no grid heaters. 

After a couple winters without a grid heater installed I can tell you that it takes some REALLY cold weather to notice the grid heater not working. I never noticed them missing until around 0°, to the point that when I put it back in I reprogrammed it to run much, much, less than the OEM programming that was mostly for emissions. 

I started one morning at -25° on a cold soaked motor with weak batteries and no grid heater. Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t like it, but it started. I wouldn’t even call it a hard start, just an angry start. 

This was on a CR thou, so I’m not sure what impact having a pilot injection does in that cold of weather. Even on my 12V tunes I kept the pilot alive for cranking since I left the cranking tables stock. 

Check the return line on the back of the head. I noticed I had diesel pooling at the bottom where the tranny mates to the engine. Turns out that banjo bolt was loose and now she fires up just fine. Should be a 17mm I believe. That whole assembly may be old and rotted out too but in my case it was just loose at the head.