• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opinion needed - intercooler boots.

Recently been doing a lot of work to my truck... Most recent, new 62/65 turbo to match my injectors, doing really well. However when the engine is hotter. I have a boost leak that's not there when cold. Found a pinhole leak in 2/4 of the intercooler boots. Rubber heats up and lets more air through that hole I guess.

Anyway tried epoxy on them, temporary fix, then found new hole. So I'm looking at new boots and see that there are a lot of options.

VPMAX - 219 for the boot kit silicone

Mishimoto - 264.95 for the boot kit (looks rubber?)

crazy carl has a whole boot and pipe kit for 265 which I was considering since plastic pipes seem like they will eventually be brittle

AFE Banks, Pusher all have options, full pipe kits from 376 up...

I've searched (although search just broke on this site when I tried to look up intercooler boots) and found a lot of information and opinions on the pipes.. metal is always better than plastic over time. However, what I really want to know is about quality of the boots, are any of these brands better than another? What do you guys (who've replaced theirs) run?

Thanks!

Can't speak for the others, but anything I have purchased from Mishimoto has been top notch. If I was doing boots, I'd personally spend the money on Mishimoto. They are more expensive than other products, and other products may work just fine, but when it comes to steering, brakes and engine, I want quality, and if I pay too much and it doesn't let me down, I'm happy.

I may be wrong, but I think Mishimoto has a lifetime warranty also, but don't quote me on that. I've been looking at so many parts and sites that my mind is mush......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ended up going with Mishimoto due to a lot of people complaining about the difficulty of install on the Vulcan ones (less forgiving on the bending). Ended up not being able to get the spring compressed enough on the bottom clamp on the drive side of the intercooler... so put the nut on without the spring :| all other springs are on. so far so good, holding boost at lower RPMs now.

• Owner

Vulcan performance boots there is a little secret. What I found out the Zep Orange Degreaser will clean the pipe nipples and make the boot slick for a short time. Makes it super easy to install and place. When the degreaser dries it will lock the boots in place and never blow off or even slip. Nothing wrong with VP boots simple to install using my method.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Vulcan performance boots there is a little secret. What I found out the Zep Orange Degreaser will clean the pipe nipples and make the boot slick for a short time. Makes it super easy to install and place. When the degreaser dries it will lock the boots in place and never blow off or even slip. Nothing wrong with VP boots simple to install using my method.

Thats a good hack.  I will have to remember that when it comes time to do mine.

• Thanks 1