• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stock Fuel Filter

Im new to the world of stock fuel filters seeing I cut my bracket off my old truck and used it to hold isolator about 12 years ago lol. I was about to remove this one when someone on here told me in kind words that that was dumb :lmao: So what brand seems to be the best? 

• Owner

Not sure what you mean on cutting off the bracket? I'm assuming isolator like fuel pressure? Photo would be nice to see what you mean.

I would attempt to replace the stock filter back so you have you WIF light, possibly fuel heater for the cooler winter months I know your in Texas but furl heater is used with temps below +60°F. Warm fuel ignites faster and easier.

That was on my old truck, I took a hacksaw cut the L bracket off filter housing to use the bolt holes and mounted the isolator to that. You convinced me to keep stock filter housing for reasons you just mentioned. Im just curious as what filter to run in it.

• Owner

I use the NAPA 7um filter. Then I got the 3um on the AirDog 150 and change the filter every 60k miles. This interval only works IF you NOT pumping from the sender basket which the fuel is too hot then you must stick to 15k filter changes. This is due the return fuel is much hotter and creates aphaltenes which plug up this filters faster. You need to keep fuel temps below 140°F to prevent this. Since in using the drawstraw my fuel temperature barely get to 120 to 130°F in the summer. This is how I'm able to extend filter changes beyond 15k.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

After talking several members that opted for the drawstraw in the sender basket they have more issues with hot fuel temperature being the returned fuel is from the back of the head is going to be hot like the temperature of the head. Most were reporting fuel temperatures well above 150*F and dealing with asphaltenes and the filters fill up quicker than Beast does just because of fuel temperature. Being the fuel temp is lower the PSG unit is kept cooler and extends the life of your VP44.

• Like 1

@Mopar1973Man is it possible they are seeing higher fuel temps bc they are confidently running their tanks lower after installing the draw straw? I’d be interested in hearing temps with 3/4 tank vs 1/8 tank under similar conditions (I.e. ambient temps, load, distance/time traveled)

6 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

is it possible they are seeing higher fuel temps bc they are confidently running their tanks lower after installing the draw straw?

This isn't my situation at all! I return to the basket and after switching to drawstraw (and the little screen came off the bottom of my fuel basket) I can't go below "quarter tank" which for me is 1/7th tank or 5 gallons. Three times at least since installing drawstraw tens of thousands of miles ago I've "run out" of fuel with 5 gallons left. And my fuel temp gets HOT running empty down the interstate in flat Iowa terrain. Like 160! Even at 3/4 tank.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LorenS said:

And my fuel temp gets HOT running empty down the interstate in flat Iowa terrain. Like 160! Even at 3/4 tank.

This is good to know. I’ve got a draw straw sitting in the garage I’ve been needing to install. 

• Owner

Cutting straw wrong will causes these issues. I've ran the the empty mark many times. The measure gap between the straw and a empty tank should be no more than a thickness of a quarter coin. Do not measure this with fuel in the tank because weight of fuel will change the amount of deflection of the bottom of the tank.

• Owner

I've seen several poorly cut straws that cause all kind of issues. Most commonly is most cut the tip at an angle or line an inch from the bottom. Thickness of a quarter coin is all you want. This must be measured on a empty tank and the tank sitting on two 2x4 at the band location. Just sitting the tank on the ground will skew this measurement. The end must be a straight cut. Optional is lightly notching the tip no more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch most.

• Staff

I placed the return line to the filler neck on both my second gens. I stepped up the size to fit on there with larger tubing. The flatbed got the neck cut and soldered in a copper 'T' from a plumbing supply house. I like how you can see it flow at idle and the neck acts like a heat sink in a small way perhaps.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:54 AM, LorenS said:

This isn't my situation at all! I return to the basket and after switching to drawstraw (and the little screen came off the bottom of my fuel basket) I can't go below "quarter tank" which for me is 1/7th tank or 5 gallons. Three times at least since installing drawstraw tens of thousands of miles ago I've "run out" of fuel with 5 gallons left. And my fuel temp gets HOT running empty down the interstate in flat Iowa terrain. Like 160! Even at 3/4 tank.

I have a draw straw and the return goes into the basket, never have a problem with fuel temps, never ever goes over 120 and most of the time it's below 100

I have made a neck return but never got around to fitting it (as usual)