• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine oil in coolant and coolant in engine oil

I noticed an oil leak that came from coolant overflow tank, mechanic says oil cooler ruptured and both systems are contaminated and I have "sludge" in both systems.  How did my engine get torpedoed by a non maintenance part, I don't understand???!!  Planning on getting my engine rebuilt and would appreciate any input on modifications for a VP 44/NV5600 truck engine rebuild.  I'm adding Hamilton cam, harmonic balancer, Cold Case radiator, BHAF, FASS 165 heated, fire ring head, custom injectors

Anyone used a DPS Turbonator  VGT (s300 & s400)??  Seem very cool, but a king's ransom.

Have:

Intake manifold plate

PDI exhaust manifold 3 piece

Pusher Mega

Phatshaft 62

5" exhaust

Blue Chip Best 17X

Quadzilla (new)

Valair DD clutch (new)

Upgraded steering and front end

ARP head studs

Generally well maintained

Any input for a build for a daily driver work truck, towing rig, and occasional road tripper kind of truck would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't rebuild for a oil cooler leak if thats the only problem, oil coolers can and do leak and as M73M says while engine is running oil goes to coolant, when shut off coolant goes to oil, makes a right mess of both compartments but a rebuild..... no

Fit a new oil cooler, drain the engine oil and refill, use a coolant system cleaner that will break down oil you will need to change both the engine oil and coolant several times to get rid of the cross contamination but don't forget the oil in the coolant IF it hasn't been run for too long will still sit on the top of the coolant so a shop oil pad will suck that off the top no problem

IF the motor is cream crackered then rebuild but don't waste a shed load of money just because a cooler leaked

On 4/28/2023 at 12:38 AM, Shimritz said:

Anyone used a DPS Turbonator  VGT (s300 & s400)??  Seem very cool, but a king's ransom.

I researched them a ton a while back for one of my trucks and basically it’s a master vision with no execution. I haven’t found anyone that can successfully get the exhaust brake function to work on the Turbonator, and they quietly changed some of the language around that feature a few months ago. Without the exhaust brake, for me, the turbo loses 1/2 its value. There is a guy down the road that runs a Turbonator on his 2nd gen and really likes how soon it spools, but he doesn’t tow so didn’t care about the EB. Sorry DPS, your marketing is better than your engineering. 

Edited by Andyba20

• Staff

I too agree with @wil440that a rebuild may not be necessary.  I've done a few oil in the coolant over the years, we call it a chocolate milkshake.  the best, cheapest cleaner for the cooling system is Dawn dish detergent.  Drain contaminated coolant remove thermostat and add 1-2oz of Dawn per gallon of water, run engine at idle for 15-20 minutes. after reaching running temp. Repeat this until  water is clear.

• Like 2

Change the engine oil and filter and run it on idle for a while,  drop it and change oil again , keep changing the oil till it looks clean.  Throughout this oil pressure is the test, if its low well it needs a rebuild if good its OK

It might take a while to get the oil cleaned and it will steam out the breather, running it on idle with the cap off will get it steaming , just watch it and the more steam means more water removed

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the outstanding information.  I will take this info to my mechanic as I don't do too much work on my rig. 

My towing consists of a dump trailer at 5500# empty,  various equipment trailers and box trailers full of tools, and a lightweight camper when time allows.

My inclination is to get it rebuilt as I need this truck daily and rely on its dependability and don't have time or another truck to jack around with down time.  Other information I have received has said oil in coolant is almost impossible to get rid of without the acid bath and overheating issues are always with you.  I live in the mountains of CO and anytime I leave town I have to cross a high mountain pass or two.

Again, thank you for the great input.

• Owner

After your repair, fill your coolant system with water and add a shot of Tide laundry soap. Run the engine till fully warmed up (190*F). This should help on removing all the oil from the coolant system. As for the crankcase you might want to change oil once and then add a bottle of engine flush and run as directed on the bottle. Afterwards change the oil again to hopefully remove all the water. When doing a oil change park it in the evening and let it drain all night. This is the only way I do my oil changes and you'll get nearly 100% of all the old out of the engine and it will stay cleaner longer.

• Like 2

M73M,

What mileage intervals would you recommend for the oil changes in a rebuilt engine?  Do you drain your coolant system after the Tide application, or again, at what mileage interval?  Thank you for the help.

S. Shimritz

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 4/30/2023 at 8:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

When doing a oil change park it in the evening and let it drain all night. This is the only way I do my oil changes and you'll get nearly 100% of all the old out of the engine and it will stay cleaner longer.

Do you place a post it note on the steering wheel so you won't forget the next morning and accidentally start the engine? I use some paper towels in the shop so I always place the roll in front of the instrument cluster display to remind me since a whole roll fits right in there above the steering wheel.

Do you have to go to Cummins for new oil coolers?

• Staff
14 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I always place the roll in front of the instrument cluster display to remind me since a whole roll fits right in there above the steering wheel.

What if you get so old that you forget why you "place the roll in front of the instrument cluster display"?  animated-smileys-thinking-151.gif.20df545dfca54febb0b148778c3bc66e.gif

• Staff

8 hours ago, IBMobile said:

What if you get so old that you forget why you "place the roll in front of the instrument cluster display"?  animated-smileys-thinking-151.gif.20df545dfca54febb0b148778c3bc66e.gif

Then it won't matter by then since I would forget that I got at least 4 cougars on my trail cam  2 weeks ago, go for a walk and get eaten just walkin' in my woods.:punish: