• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Serpentine Drive Belt - What is the best

• Owner

I've tried a few different NAPA belts and found the standard belt is way better than the green belt that started squeaking early in life. As most already know I don't buy into the brand name of anything. There are always cheaper alternatives that truck owners can use without paying big money for a brand name or the whole heavy-duty or green belt. The biggest thing that you experience is the V's of the belt can get glazed or worn out wider so only the pulley tips are the only thing that is gripping the belt.

FYI - I looked up my history and I have 8.5 years on my GATE K080810 and it started to chirp.  I remembered  Michael Nelson told me in 2015 "next time just rotate the belt to get rid of chirping" - so I did December 2022 and it worked!  I am just deciding what to buy for a backup!  My total mileage is ~116,000 and not sure if a new tensioner is needed, but then again it is becoming an ancient engine - in the thought of part replacement!

Edited by bry1216

22 hours ago, bry1216 said:

I am just deciding what to buy for a backup!

I always use my old belt as the backup because I know it works.  On rare occasions a new belt can fail or come off right away, OR it might even be the wrong belt.  So, if one waits for the old belt to fail and then replaces it with the new "backup" belt and Murphy's Law strikes - well, that's what Murphy's Law does, here you will be sitting alongside the road...,

- John

Edited by Tractorman
added another "OR"
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...